Group links Katrina to annual gay party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 1, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Any reason why San Francisco, Amsterdam and Sydney amongst other cities may have been spared destruction?

That people can take a certain amount of satisfaction from this tragedy is sick... pure hate and vile ignorance.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

But nothing new from these types of people. The corpse of New Orleans isn't even cold yet.

4. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Beyond Belief.

Really now! If that was the case wouldn't God have waited until the "party started so he could wipe them out all at once"

Wouldn't he have used a miracle, and rained fire and brimstone down from the heavens? Instead of the city being destroyed by a natural disaster?

I really wish these people wouldn't call themselves Christians.

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

According to extremist muslims this was God/Allah's doing.

I guess they have something in common.

Idiots.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I much predicted this would happen. See my previous post. Of course, what do you expect from religious folk?

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

Would it help if I sacrificed a virgin? Or at least a goat or something? Anything to appease our angry and vengeful God and make him love us again.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm waiting for some more of our outspoken Christian forum members to come here and condemn this statement.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oops. I think I missed that thread.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

My guess is you'll be waiting a while.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I know. The chorus is deafening, huh?

Absolutely pathetic and beyond contempt.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And completely predictable.

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, since I was the first to post in the 'funny dear God letter' thread, I suppose you might mean me. Loserman had a lengthy explanation in that thread though last time I looked, so maybe he'll be able to give another educated response here as well.

Many people believe that God doesn't work in the world today as he did in the Bible, raining down fire and such. However, I believe that he does. Raining down fire may mean an explosive volcano, and this hurricane may be an act of God. But for ANYONE to even ATTEMPT to claim with any amount of certainty that a tragedy like this was a direct act of God against sinful people it absolutely the wrong reaction. At the same time, I as a Christian feel confused that a God loving enough to sacrifice His only son to save me from my sins can even allow destruction on this level.

To sum up my feelings on the article, I say that if this hurricane were an act of God against a sinful people, it would have had to take out everyone in the world for it to be effective an erasing sin. Sin is part of every human, and sinfulness can only give birth to more sinfulness.

Does any of that make sense? As I said, I struggle at times like this too, and am seeking answers to many of the same questions people that aren't religious, or don't consider themselves to be so.

14. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Damn,
    I missed the date by one day. My friends and I had a little bet going on how long it would take for the crazies to blame this on the "lifestyle" that NOLA is known for.

[expletive deleted] the religious right.
    :mad:

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Well, we expect an earthquake in SF soon, and wasn't Sydney hit by wild bush fires a couple of years ago? That leaves Amsterdam, but you can't expect God to be everywhere at once, can you?

16. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

In a word:

yes

That is actually a good argument against this group that blames the sin in New Orleans for the disaster. Since God IS everywhere at once, if he was interested in wiping out sin, he'd have done a much better job.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The answer is simple: it was a natural disaster. These things happen from time to time. What is there to make sense of?

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    That made me chuckle. I'm sure the omnipresent one could find a way to puncture the dykes in Amsterdam.... - the dam dykes that is. :p

Really.... what a pile of opportunistic tosh! In that case, why didn't the tsunami hit the pleasure houses of Bangkok? :rolleyes:

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Sorry for the delayed response. Some of actually go to lunch on our lunch breaks. ;)

I don't know if I'm an "outspoken" Christian on the forums, but I disagree with this group's statements. I would add that it's clearly a fringe group that doesn't reflect the majority of Christians' beliefs.

However, to maintain the delicate balance and rational discussion that is the hallmark of these forums, I'll be sure to keep my ears open so that the next time some fringe left-wing group makes some outrageously offensive statement, I'll be ready to report it here. And I'll be sure to make the sweeping generalization that you and other left-leaning members of the forums embrace those statements. Because that's the adult thing to do.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, it was right around the same time that RFK Jr. blamed the President and Gov. Barbour for the hurricane because the US hasn't signed on to the Kyoto Treaty.

There are crazies on BOTH sides.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Go for it. Quite a few months back I made a concerted effort to find any quote from any one of the most radical leftists of 1960s and '70s -- you know, the likes of Abbie Hoffman, Angela Davis, et. el. that would compare to the bile that a Rush Limbaugh or an Ann Coulter spews on an almost daily basis. But I came up empty. Turns out these guys were rhetorical pussycats by comparison. Kind of made me wonder why so many people were genuinely afraid of them but don't feel even a bit threatened by far more radical right-wingers with much bigger megaphones than anyone in the Black Panthers ever had.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Good- we're actually glad you're here, believe it or not. And no Lyle, I wouldn't consider you to be one of those to whom we are referring. Perhaps we should have said "Christian".

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good on you. :rolleyes:

I'll be first in line to condemn stupidity and hatred anywhere.

Besides, what you guys think of as left-wing is fairly centrist in most of the rest of the English-speaking world... Just because you identify yourself as a Christian doesn't mean squat about what your politics should be -- too much binary thinking there.

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Will do. Does anyone know if Louis Farrakhan has any speaking engagements coming up? I'm pretty sure that he and his followers don't vote Republican.

P.S. And before you go falling over yourself to protest that he doesn't represent the views of you, or most any, member of this forum -- let me note that I don't believe he does, either. Just making my point that there are plenty of nuts to go around, regardless of your political persuasion.

25. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Fair enough.

Yes, I definitely agree. ;)