Group movies in itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Jun 3, 2009.

1. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is there a way to group movies in itunes vs having every single one listed?

I want to for a direcotry...such as :Seinfeld, Family Guy, etc

thanks

2. macrumors 68030

bozz2006

ooh, yeah! good question. Sorry, I have nothing to add, other than that I'm interested in finding out too. lol

3. macrumors 6502a

Those are TV shows and should show up in your TV Show section. They should be broken down into the actual TV show like you mentioned above. If you were to click on that it would break them down by season. Then it would list the actual episodes.

4. macrumors 68030

bozz2006

sorry if this is hijacking, but I do believe that only works if they are purchased from the itunes store. Mine are handbrake'd.

5. macrumors 68000

No, you just need to set the metadata correctly.

6. macrumors 68030

bozz2006

7. macrumors 6502a

The way that I did it was I downloaded a TV show from iTunes and I "right" clicked on it and clicked "get info". I then saw what info they had in theirs and copied that in the ones that I handbraked. For example, where they had the TV series name I put the TV series name. Where they put the season number and episode number I put that info. You can go so far as to put in the descriptions and everything.

The big thing for TV shows is to go to the options tab and set the Media Type to the correct type (Movie, TV Show or Music Video). If you don't do that everything will default to Movie and will show up in your movie section.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. If you have a lot of media it can take some work getting it all done. But in the end it is worth it if you care about everything being organized.

-JC-

8. macrumors member

The way I did it was to put them into different genres - you can add your own genres too by selecting custom and typing in a name. It's not perfect but it does group them as required - not as good as having more options at the music/movie/tv show level though.

9. thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i figured out the genres

however, is there a way to make it multi level?

i want this

a seinfeld folder- then the season- then the episodes in the season

10. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Why are you putting TV Shows in your movies? They're sorted differently on purpose.

You should download MetaX and tag your TV Shows properly.

But, no, you can't sort movies into multi-level folders in iTunes.

11. macrumors 6502a

If you follow the directions that I gave you above it will show up that way. You will click on TV Shows on the left side menu. You also need to put it in grid view. Maybe that is where the issue is. Click on grid view and it will show you thumbnails until you get to the episode level.