Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I tried to send a group to people for Father's Day and it would not send to several people. My wife's would not either.

Demosthenes427

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I just sent a group text to 20 people with no problem at all. Maybe you tried to send a group text during a busy server time? It was Father's Day, after all.

BassetCase

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
I sent a text to about 15-20 people on Friday after I got the phone and it worked fine. I haven't tried it since then.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
It says "message failed" when I am in messages and preview that message. I tried several times. Maybe it was busy, but odd I found it.

mtbright

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
I turned off MMS in settings and was able to send a mass text. I got engaged this weekend and I didnt feel like sending the good news out 1 damn text at a time

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I turned off MMS in settings and was able to send a mass text. I got engaged this weekend and I didnt feel like sending the good news out 1 damn text at a time

Congrats! So you had the same issue before you shutoff MMS?

JohnsonVision

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
I tried to send a group to people for Father's Day and it would not send to several people. My wife's would not either.

Got the same issue this morning, as I added names to send to, the top said group MMS. I have the carrier update 5, thus have the MMS option...do we need to turn MMS off?

superxero3

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
If you have MMS enabled (even if it doesn't work), then you try to send a text to 1+ people, it will change it to MMS. This is really cool when your talking to multiple iphone users with MMS enabled, because it acts like a chat. It tells them all of the recipients of your original message, and their response messages go to all of them back, so it's like a chat room on AIM or MSN or whatever.

To make it a group SMS instead of an MMS however, the only way i found is to go to settings > messages, and disable MMS, and then send the mass text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.