Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
If somebody else includes me in a group text, how do I get out of it. For example I was included in a very active group text regarding the Superbowl but I'm working and I was DVRing it. I was trying to not receive anymore texts. But even though I deleted it when someone else sent a text the group kept coming back to me. This has actually happened several times over the last couple of years. There must be a way to disconnect yourself from unwanted group texts

iShorty

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Nottingham, UK
If somebody else includes me in a group text, how do I get out of it. For example I was included in a very active group text regarding the Superbowl but I'm working and I was DVRing it. I was trying to not receive anymore texts. But even though I deleted it when someone else sent a text the group kept coming back to me. This has actually happened several times over the last couple of years. There must be a way to disconnect yourself from unwanted group texts

Welcome to the flaw of iMessage.

Settings -> Notifications -> Messages -> "Show iMessage Alerts From" -> "My Contacts Only"

Is the best you can do as far as I'm aware.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Welcome to the flaw of iMessage.

Settings -> Notifications -> Messages -> "Show iMessage Alerts From" -> "My Contacts Only"

Is the best you can do as far as I'm aware.

Nope that won't work. They are all family. Bummer. I had planned to watch the Superbowl and then the Laker game tonight. Told them not to blow it for me, so my Dad immediately texts "49ers lost and the Lakers won" Nice guy, totally broke the Man Code

furycd001

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Belfast
There isn't really any good options for iMessages as of yet. But I'm sure apple will throw something our way at some point. The only option I can think of at the moment is jailbreaking your iphone, but I know that's not for everyone...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Even if you turn iMessage off the group messages will still come through as regular text messages. The only way to get out of them is if they take you out of the group chat.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
ummmm just don't read the messages.

Ummm, yeah, that's a real good idea. Except I'm working on a film and I get about 100 important texts a day fro crew, cast, producers etc. then suddenly there's the score of the game I was wanting to watch when I got home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.