Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus approach their second birthday, a growing number of users are suffering from what appears to be a latent manufacturing issue that presents as a gray flickering bar at the top of the screen and a display that's unresponsive or less responsive to touch.

In a new blog post and video, repair site iFixit says a number of third-party repair outlets have seen iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models affected by the bug, which appears to be very common. STS Telecom owner Jason Villmer says he sees faulty iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models multiple times a week, while another repair tech in Louisiana sees up to 100 iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices that don't respond well to touch.

"This issue is widespread enough that I feel like almost every iPhone 6/6+ has a touch of it (no pun intended) and are like ticking bombs just waiting to act up," says Jason Villmer, owner of STS Telecom--a board repair shop in Missouri. [...]
iFixit is calling the problem "Touch Disease," and says Apple appears to be aware of the issue based on dozens of complaints on Apple's support forum, but isn't "doing anything about it." Multiple people who brought their iPhones to Apple Stores were told that Apple doesn't recognize it as an issue and nothing could be done as their iPhones were out of warranty.

Putting pressure on the display of an affected iPhone or twisting the device appears to reverse the issue for a short period, but the gray bar returns and touch functionality grows worse and worse until the touchscreen stops functioning entirely.

Replacing the display doesn't work as the problem is said to be caused by the touchscreen controller chips soldered to the logic board of the phone, and it's possible the damage is caused by the same structural design flaw that caused the major "Bendgate" controversy.
In both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the Touch IC chips connect to the logic board via an array of itty-bitty solder balls--"like a plate resting on marbles," Jessa explains. Over time, as the phone flexes or twists slightly during normal use, those solder balls crack and start to lose contact with the board.

"At first, there may be no defect at all. Later you might notice that the screen is sometimes unresponsive, but it is quick to come back with a hard reset," Jessa explains. "As the crack deepens into a full separation of the chip-board bond, the periods of no touch function become more frequent."
According to iFixit, the only way to fix the problem is to replace the iPhone, replace the logic board, or replace the Touch ICs on the logic board, something Apple's in-house repair staff is not able to do. iFixit recommends users who are experiencing early symptoms of Touch Disease -- an intermittently non-functional touch screen or hints of a gray bar -- get their iPhones replaced outright if they're still under warranty.

For those without a warranty, iFixit suggests taking an affected iPhone 6 or 6 Plus to an electronics repair shop able to replace the chips. Apple doesn't approve of third-party repairs, but it may be the only solution until the problem is officially acknowledged by the company.

The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are not affected by the same issue as Apple strengthened the body and changed the position of the Touch IC chips in those devices.

Article Link: Growing Number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Devices Affected by Insidious 'Touch Disease'

Reactions: Diogoinsight

alexforget82

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Montreal, Qc
I have this problem on my 6+ (still under warranty) but since i drop it a couple of times (clearly you can see it on each side of the phone, screen is perfect), i'm not sure if Apple will replace it at an Apple store.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Interesting, I wonder if I have a mild version of this issue. I had to get a replacement iPhone out of warranty due a "power issue," and I've noticed recently that rarely the touch will stop responding. If I put the iPhone to sleep and wake it up it'll come right back.

I don't think replaced phones have one year warranties. Thing is, I really don't want to upgrade to the 7. All I want is more RAM and I like my headphone jack.

Reactions: iAmAsar

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
One of my previous 6 Plus had this issue. Apple Store replaced it on the spot. (it was still under AppleCare Warranty)
Granted I'm on my 3rd one now. My first one had a faulty power button. Worked about 50% of the time.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Interesting, I wonder if I have a mild version of this issue. I had to get a replacement iPhone out of warranty due a "power issue," and I've noticed recently that rarely the touch will stop responding. If I put the iPhone to sleep and wake it up it'll come right back.

I don't think replaced phones have one year warranties. Thing is, I really don't want to upgrade to the 7. All I want is more RAM and I like my headphone jack.

Any replacement phone you get has the remainder of the replaced phone's warranty.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I guess I am lucky because this happened to me on my 6 in the first year. took me two trips to the Apple store to reproduce the bars in front of them at which point they gave me a new phone. My wife has that phone now with no issues. I have not seen any problems on the 6s. Hopefully this is resolved on the upcoming 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.