Growl and Compatible apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reubs, Mar 6, 2007.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I've recently installed Growl, and while I like what I'm seeing I can't get it to sync up with some of the apps that it is supposed to be compatible with, such as VLC, iTunes, and Quicksilver, or even Mail.

I've tried Quitting and then relaunching these apps to see if they get "registered" on Growl, but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone have any suggestions, or and I just going about it all wrong?

Thanks for any info.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

For iTunes at least (maybe the others not sure) you need to install a script that came with Growl to get it too work. Look on the Growl website for more information.

Edit : Getting it working with VLC : http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=29983&highlight=growl

3. Blubbert macrumors 6502

i would reccomend an easier way to enable growl with itunes than downloading GrowlTunes. You can use the notification system from within Quicksilver to monitor, and display the songs played trough Growl. I found that approach easier.

4. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Blubbert, that's what I'm doing with Quicksilver right now, but I was wondering if the interface would be smoother/less intrusive/different in any way. As for VLC, I can't get it to work, but it's not a huge deal.

I guess I'm just trying to figure how how Growl is any different than the other system notifiers and why I should stick with it instead...I'll see how it goes for a few more days.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I didn't like GrowlTunes when I tried it. Quicksilver's iTunes Growl notifications are pretty good.

For Mail, I suppose Growl comes with a script? Because obviously Apple hasn't added Growl support to Mail.

For VLC, I wasn't aware it had Growl support! If they're going to include it, it should register itself with Growl without having to enable some sort of option, so that you can know it's there and it works. Although I don't know what kind of useful information VLC could show through Growl?

6. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Re: VLC, I'm not sure and that's why I'm not sweating it much. As I continue to have it set up, I'm really not sure what good it is...

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    i can't get growl to work with any app but skype

I had it working with iChat and iTunes on my desktop, but on this Macbook it only recognizes skype.....odd...

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You'll need the GrowlMail script that comes with Growl in order for it to work with Mail...works fine on my PowerBook. I also use GrowlTunes and GrowlSafari, as well as the Chax add-on for iChat, which gives Growl functionality.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

i use sizzlingkeys to make itunes work with it.