Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
When using growl tunes, if i dont have the album artwork available, a rather disturbing image comes up with 'unternull' at the top.

How do I get rid of this/replace it - i tried to look on the growl website but couldnt find easliy.

Cheers

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
Any ideas?

Can anyone help with this? I searched for Unternull on the web and it seems to be some goth/vamp thing. Why is this image coming up on itunes/growl tunes?

It might be that it just appears when i have shared a track created in garageband into itunes rather than normal music that doesnt have album artwork.....

i bumped the post cos, the image recently changed (still unternull, still disturbing image)

Maccleduff

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
I also got frustrated with this Unternull thing. My guess is that somewhere in the Growltunes code there it trys to find "unter null" from amazon album art as this is the first thing that comes up. The " null" part is because the mp3 doesnt have tags on the artist i think, and the "unter" part , probably german localisation...?...not sure

If you want to replace the images they are found in
(your username)>Library>Images>Music>Unknown Artist

Theres a few fixes:
-add artist information to your mp3s
-my option was to use Quicksilver with the growl notifications + itunes plugin instead. This also doesnt show the track number which suits me. Growltunes used to show "(null). " whenever there was no track number info.

Thought this mght be useful as this thread was the first one that came up when i was googling the problem.

ethan.iron

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Good solution for me

I solved this problem in this way.
- In the applications folder right clic the growlItunes Apllication and choose "Show package contents"
- Go to Contents/Plugins/ and delete the amazon plugin

Now when you will listen to a non tagged audio file growl should not contac amzon to get unternull cover :-D
Hope i was usefull
Sorry for my english! :-D

cowboyhippie

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
I found that it was necessary to BOTH delete the plugin as ethan.iron described AND delete the "Unknown Artist" image folder as Maccleduff described.

Presumably deleting the plugin only stops GrowlTunes from downloading new album art. If, like me, you have been staring at that revoltiong bloody shoe UnterNull thing for months, than you likely already have many copies of it on your hard drive, which is why you have to also delete the Unkown Artists folder.

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.