Growl woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sulhaq, Aug 23, 2006.

1. sulhaq macrumors regular

sulhaq

Okay I love Growl so far. I love its little pop up bubbles. But Growl is not registering a couple apps that say they are compatible with Growl with no additional scripts :( VLC for instance. I've reinstalled VLC, launched it again and again and growl isn't registering it.

Can someone please tell me how I can get VLC to register with Growl?

2. evands macrumors member

What version of VLC do you have? Growl support was added in VLC 0.8.5.

3. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

slightly off topic

what does growl do?
    i have looked at it 4-5 time when I have seen nice things said about it but dont really get the reason to use it as described on versiontracker.com and others.

4. evands macrumors member

Growl lets compatible applications (of which there are several hundred) notify you of things (where things varies by the application) through a centralized, customizable mechanism. Multiple notifications don't interfere with each other or get in each others way, as would happen if each application tried to display its own window to let you know something had happened; Growl manages all that.

How I use Growl:
    • I have Growl notify when I receive new Mail -- a bubble comes up with the subject, author, and the start of the body of the mail itself. If I don't click the bubble, it fades away in 3 seconds; if I do, that mail is opened for me.
    • I have it notify when I receive a message in Adium in a chat I'm not currently looking at - it comes up with the person's buddy icon, their name, and their message. Again, it fades away on its own in 3 seconds; if I click it, Adium comes to the front and shows me that chat.
    • I have it notify me when my iTunes track changes, using a different notification format, the Music Video style. A bar slides up from the bottom of my screen with the new track's info, as you see in music videos on MTV, and then slides away automatically.
    • Transmit notifies me when downloads and uploads are complete.
    And so on.

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

thanks evands.

i didnt realize it was so customizable. i thought it just added extra notification.
    going to download. :)

6. sulhaq thread starter macrumors regular

sulhaq

7. Fourbin macrumors regular

I have the Mail notifier setup but when I click the new mail bubble it doesn't open the e-mail for me or even bring Mail to the front. Are you sure yours does this? If so, how do I set it up to do so?