Grr! Ichat vs Adium

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmwe46, Jul 28, 2005.

1. bmwe46 macrumors newbie

grr! ok i have a dilemma...

I love adium b/c its so customizable and i love the buddy list and all the features, but i cant send files to aim users b/c it only rarely works!

Ichat on the other hand has a great interface and files transfer well, but the buddy list... grr the buddy list, despite having groups it just shows one whole list, not divided into groups, and the names are so big only a few fit, i cant make the names smaller, or show groups, if i put show buddy group then it doesnt show any of the other groups... surely theres a way to get it to show all groups! i know the new version of ichat is supposedly having tabs, which is great b/c i hate having 20 windows open, but with the F10 key, thats ok i can deal with it... but the buddy list, i just hate that!

the only solution ive found is to use adium and then switch to ichat when i transfer a file... but thats gotten amazingly annoying!

Can someone, anyone! help me?

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Thats the best thing I've found to do as well. I don't send that many files, so it isn't that much of a problem. But Adium's buddy list is far superior to any other IM program out there.

Looking at Adium's website, it appears that file transfer isn't even near th etop of their list of things to fix. I think its the open source code of the program thats just not good at file transfer.

I'm with you though. If anybody knows a better way, I'd be glad to hear it.

3. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Have to say it...but its iChat not Ichat. Does adium have the same brushed metal interface as iChat btw?

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Adium may be able to do brushed metal, I'm not sure, but you can make it look about however you want to, thats one of the coolest things about it.

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Works pretty well for me...

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

By default, Adium is in the Cocoa/Aqua look, and not the brushed metal look. I don't know if that's actually one of the things you can easily change. I don't think it is, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

MSN file transfer has actually improved by leaps and bounds, and in the current stable release, I consider it satisfactory. This is 0.82 and the betas above that -- I think as recently as 0.79 or whatever came before the 0.8x, file transfer still sucked, but in the past month or so the latest versions have been very usable.

bmwe46, are you using 0.82?

8. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I had the same problem you did with the transfering and i looked into it a little more and i found out that it is a problem with the server they use to connect...iChat uses the same one or a similar one that AIM uses so it can send files better, but like you said, they are gonna try and fix it soon...the one thing i wish would be a better way in iChat to actually send pics, just like in AIM, you click a button, an accept screen pops up, the pic shows up and you can click it and save it...how do you save a pic someone sends you in iChat????

9. bmwe46 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah im using .82

and yeah you can change the way adium looks totally, even to make it look like ichat,

about the ichat not Ichat, i was really upset and i realized i had made the mistake, lol, but you know how it is when your mad and feel like flinging your comp across the room. lol :p

as for the adium file transfer, its not among there top things to fix b/c if you look at the official forums for adium yeah, they know it doesnt work but they claim that it does work half the time so they claim it DOES work half the time so its not an urgent issue... lol... though to be honest, its the only bug i can find that upsets me, all the other things arent really an issue for me.

10. bmwe46 thread starter macrumors newbie

actually in ichat its really really easy, you just copy/paste, or drag the pic onto the IM and put it right in the area where you type. then hit send, that simple.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It took some work, but it's possible. I release brushed metal builds of adium for every major release.

http://homepage.mac.com/mbh0ckey/

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hah, well, I guess if you edit the source code and recompile, anything is possible. :D I am going to check it out. :)

The other thing I need to check out one of these days is enabling Jabber/MSN/Y! gateways in iChat, so that when I do use iChat, I can IM with anyone. I prefer Adium anyway, but it would make iChat more usable.