grrr.... I now hate redwing blackbirds!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by 840quadra, May 10, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yup, I hate Red Winged Blackbirds,

I work nights as an IT engineer, and with that need to sleep during the day. Since it is spring and the weather is great to have windows open and keep the house cool, I tend to let the fresh air in. For some reason a Redwing blackbird has decided my deck will be it's personal stage for calling mates or whatever.

It has the loudest most obnoxious chirp. squawk, scream of any bird I have ever noticed before. And the stupid thing (or things) start up at ~4am CST, 1 hour BEFORE the first signs of daylight, so even on my days off when I try to sleep at night the damn thing wakes me up!

I love animals, so the last thing I want to do is start throwing rocks at it or anything like that. It just seems that this bird is out to destroy what is remaining of my sleep pattern.

What should I do!?!?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Foam earplugs: the ones that expand in your ear-canal.

These ensure my sleep remains undisturbed when the early-morning flights start their run into Heathrow a few hundred meters above my flat.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

you say in the title that you hate the bird but in your post you say you love animals O_O which is it?

if you hate it, rocks can do wonderful things

*thinks back to the time of killing hornets with sticks* oh that was fun days

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yep, I use those, too. Snoring significant other.

Other solution: blow up snake available at toy store.

5. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Blow up snakes I think will work as well as a simulated bird of prey. For example, a fake hawk sitting up high somehwere nearby will make the birds not want to come into the area (hopefully). Or rocks. Or a BB gun. Or Alkaceltzer disguised as food. You have a plethera of options available. It just depends on how ruthless you are, or how important your sleep is.

personally, I'd try the snake/hawk ideas first and if they dont work, then I'd take more serious steps... ;)

6. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Hmm.

Exploding birds! sounds interesting, and like something my friends 6 year old would try, Maybe i should send him over! :eek:

Anyway I will try the "Hethrow" trick, and buy some earplugs. That sounds like that will be the best for the Birds, and myself. The only question is, what brand to get so they don't get stuck in my ear canal!?

Thanks for the advice everyone!!
    (P.S. I love animals, just not RW Blackbirds anymore, lost too much sleep already because of them ;) )