GRRR! Network Share Beachball Of Doom!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wrldwzrd89, Jun 7, 2006.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is absolutely infuriating. When I try to disconnect from a network share that is no longer available (for example, because the computer serving it is no longer running), the entire system beachballs and won't respond for 5 minutes (presumably until the network process encounters a timeout). Why oh why does Mac OS X do this? I am running 10.4.6, by the way.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's Finder and it sucks. I don't know a fix but in the same circumstances, I just refrain from disconnecting. Finder will then warn me eventually that the network is no longer available but it won't beachball. It's usually just easier. :)

3. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks, mad jew. I didn't know that would work.

4. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I usually relaunch the finder when this happens.

Why haven't they fixed this yet? It's as if noone at Cupertino actually works on a network!

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

As a new switcher, I am also astounded by the fact that my Macbook forgets what network shares it is connected to whenever it goes to sleep. What the heck? I've yet to find a good workaround for this.

Not to hijack your thread, but anyone have any suggestions? I made alias files to all of my network shares, so I can double click on them to quickly remount the shares. I was wondering if there was an even quicker way to do this though. Can I create a hotkey shortcut to automatically mount all of my network shares at once?