GRRR, OS 9-extension problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by OutThere, Jul 3, 2003.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ok, heres the deal-
    I got DSL, ordered a bunch of networking stuff along with it. The focus is on the router/modem which directs our network of 3 computers. The router (made by 2wire-its a homeportal 1100) has 3 ways to connect to it, phoneline networking (HPNA), ethernet and USB. I need to connect with usb. The installed extensions that it came with don't seem to mesh with it. In the system profiler it says that it its driver is the USB communications extension, which doesn't seem to exist on my computer.I need the homeportal to use the extension that came with it...not some stuff that I dont have. is there any way to make it so that the homeportal is driven by the "Homeportal USB" extension? The homeportal shows up in the System profiler, but not in TCP/IP, where I need to select it so that I can get onto the internet. This kind of tells me that the USB port works. I already got a replacement portal, after spending way to many hours on the phone with 2wire tech support, and the situation is the same. I ahve already trashed the TCP/IP prefs, tried different USB cables, reinstalled about 25 times etc etc. but I just realized that it is posible that the portal just isnt using the right extensions.

Here is what the system profiler says about the homeportal:

Communication (2Wire USB Remote NDIS Ethernet)
    Product ID: 66 ($42)
    Vendor: Vendor 5680 (2Wire Inc)
    Driver version: 1.0.2
    Driver name: USB Communications Extension
    Power (mA): 500 ($1f4)
    Release number: 1.0
    Serial number:

I hope that one of you can shed some light on this subject. Thanks!

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Doesn't your DSL vendor provide installation support? You paid them for this, after all.

3. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I must say I'd forgotten about that OSX godsend, though I still have trouble with my Classic extensions from time to time.

good luck. - j