Grrrr...Halo freezing my G5.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mike Teezie, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I've had Halo for several months now, and have never had a problem until now. Everytime I try to play online, I can play for two or three minutes - then the screen freezes. I can hear sounds and thngs happeneing in the game, but the screen is just frozen solid. And the only way to get out of it is it hold the poer button down and restart the computer.

I've updated everything, repaired permissions, no luck.

Any ideas?

2. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I'll be you've updated to 1.05. Welcome to the club. My G5 freezes all the time, especially when I pick up camouflage. It's too bad, since with 1.05 Halo finally outshines the XBOX version visually (with a significant performance hit). I suspect this update is an F-YOU from Macsoft to the Mac gaming community for pirating more copies than it has bought. What else could explain the lack of a follow up 1.06 update to fix these glaring bugs (found even on G4 models) of which I KNOW Macsoft has been abundantly informed.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Maybe if they hadn't spent a year and a half porting it people would have actually bought it. Most Mac gamers (if such a thing is possible ;)) had probably given up on playing Halo on their Apple and had gotten, beaten, and nearly worn out the game in that 18 month time span. A gamer will gladly pay $50-60 for a new game, but not for an old game that can be had for another system for $20-25. I own a legit copy, only because I am not a big gamer and so by time I really got to caring about Halo, it was almost out for the Mac.

Macsoft shot themselves in the foot by taking so long to port the game. Idiots deserve whatever they get for being that stupid. Being a popular game, you'd think they would have been ion a greater hurry to get it done...

4. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I have a legit copy too, and if this is thier way of dealing of piracy, I'll make sure to never buy one of their games again.

I was actually on 1.04, and I started having lock ups. So I got 1.05, repaired permssions, nada.

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Thats strange...Halo runs semi-very well on my iBook.

6. TheGimp macrumors 6502

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

it is not halo's fault.

it's a G5 thing...you guys are experiencing my G5 lockup problem...screen locks up but the action continues in the background...totally useless...requires hard reboot.

it isn't the RAM. It isn't the graphics card...apple tech swears it isn't the G5 processor or the MOBO (I have my doubts)...that leaves OpenGL driver problems, which also seems likely...the problem has been around since at least february of this year, when i started having trouble.

it happens on almost every single 3D game.

the only way I've found to STOP the problem from happening is to run games in Windowed Mode.

Then it won't crash.

Give it a try. It sucks that you can't do full screen, but its my only work-around.

8. TheGimp macrumors 6502

9. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

So are you saying Halo will preform better on a G4?

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

halo dosnt lock up on me, but i have to have all the settings on low to get a decent frame rate with this 5200. i got it from a friend, but i bought a copy of it for the xbox, and i dont think i will ever play it on the computer again, its to demanding on the GPU.

i hope Halo 2 stays on the xbox, and the "only on xbox" stays on the game box till they dont make it any more, as it should have been with halo 1.

11. dayos_x macrumors newbie

I finished the game on a Quicksilver 2002 upgraded to Giga Designs 1.47GHz. 512 meg RAM. Stock Radeon 7500. Halo version 1.0.2.

Ran smoothly all the way through 2 weeks of intensive play. No hardships aside from the repetitive maps.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

if your G5 has the 3d lock-up bug, then yes, i'm saying it will play better on a G4.

If your G5 has the 5200, then yes, probably the 4200Ti will give you a much better experience. The 5200 is barely any better than the integrated mobile chips that are coming out...and that's pretty sad.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I was planning on getting Halo when I ordered my G5, but the constant complaints of bugs turned me off.

It's a moot point now anyway - my brother just bought a second-hand xbox with games (Halo), 3 controllers for $60. Excellent game, but I would have felt pretty lousy watching my bro play the game bug-free while my new high-$$$$ Mac struggled with it because of a bad port job. Quite a shame. I still prefer SOCOMM II anyway - of course I can't play that on the Mac at all!

14. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Strange... I've never had a game freeze on me on my G5... where did you hear that this happens in a lot of machines?

15. iMook macrumors regular

Lord Blackadder: a secondhand Xbox for $60 with 3 controllers AND games? That's a great deal. I wish there were such naive sellers in my area :-D Then again, I already have an Xbox.

When you say it's a G5 problem, what do you mean exactly? I'm a PC guy, so I don't know much about Mac driver architecture, but the G5 has an entirely different OpenGL driver set? It seems to me that that would be related more to the graphics card than the proc/mobo.

I find it curious that at the hint of any inconvenience created by Microsoft, i.e. speculation that this may been a compatibility issue/18-month port time (if it's still profitable on Xbox, why port it?), several posts appeared bashing Microsoft holistically. Apparently, few with such opinions stop adn think about how Jobs crippled iPod functionality for PCs by giving it a VERY cumbersome MusicMatch-based interface.

Still, Xbox rocks, though I'll probably get PS3 instead of Xbox Next/Xenon.

edit: typo.

16. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I went to MacSoft's site, and I found this:

After running the 1.05 update, the graphics freeze when running the game on Macs with nVidia FX5200 video cards.

Hold down the Command key while double-clicking the game icon. In the "Halo Graphics Settings" menu that appears, make sure that the "Model Reflections" checkbox is checked.

I did this, and no more lock ups. The game runs a bit choppy now. Ineed to get a better graphics card. Which one is the top dog for Macs? The 9800 Pro?

17. benpatient macrumors 68000

From this board and from the apple tech forums (although they regularly "selectively purge" the "help" and "problem:" threads)...do a search of G5 crashes on this forum and you'll find some of the discussion, and links to some suggested fixes, and links to some people (like me) who have tried everything and basically given up on ever having it resolved.

short run-down of the problem:

• only happens on G5s.
    • Usually dual processor, but not always.
    • Usually with 5200 U graphics card, but not always (some of both 9600 and 9800 users have had this issue or very similar ones)
    •*Can happen on any 3d game
    • Has been a problem since at least when G5-compatible OS X versions were available (obviously can't test 10.2 on it because they won't work on the G5)
    •*going to "windowed" mode will fix the problem in many games, but some games won't go to this mode anyway
    •*"force-quit" doesn't work, because the screen simply stops refreshing
    •*happens with DVI, ADC or VGA port connections on LCD and CRT monitors of apparently any brand (apple or 3rd party)
    • Happens with apple-certified RAM being the only installed RAM, also happens with only 3rd party RAM installed, also happens when mixing the two
    • Requires a hard-reboot.
    •*Some people have gotten new MOBOs and it didn't help anything at all.
    •*Apple (corporate) won't acknowledge the problem or offer any useful assisstance ("try reformatting your hard drive" doesn't count as useful assistance)

Fun, huh?

18. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus