Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
I recently reccomended Tiger to a Mac-using friend at my school (not particularly savvy). His parents bought Tiger as a present based on my recomendation and asked me to help set it up.

The Installer locks up at every time I try to install. Upon closer inspection, his iBook has half the RAM necessary for Tiger. Is this a good reason for the Installer to crash? Is he illegible for a return? Does he need more RAM (although I would feel wven more guilty if that doesn't help anything)?

Grrrrrrrr... So mad at myself/Apple.

brendan67

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
half ram

hey

i would say that its most certainly a good reason
for tiger install crashing if there is not enough memory
to run with tiger. maybe you should offer to buy the ram
lol

regards:)

brendan67

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
no way

hey

no way don't take tiger back - it was a great idea for
a present. get more ram apple say 256mb is enough
but the more the merrier.

regards

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm assuming his iBook has 256MB. 128MB?!? Not sure why that'd crash it, but if the installer needs more, it can't swap to the DVD and the HD is unavailable, so it's possible. And no, you can't return it. Does he allow the DVD verification (first part of installation)? Might be a bad DVD....

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
jsw said:
I'm assuming his iBook has 256MB. 128MB?!? Not sure why that'd crash it, but if the installer needs more, it can't swap to the DVD and the HD is unavailable, so it's possible. And no, you can't return it. Does he allow the DVD verification (first part of installation)? Might be a bad DVD....

Thanks so much guys! a few clarifications:

his PARENTS got it for him as a present, but with MY reccomenation

his iBook does indeed have only 128 MB of RAM

The crash occurs after selecting the language. It says "Preparing Installer" and locks up (the cursor moves and the progress bar freezes). No options offered besides the language.

Thanks again!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
922 said:
Thanks so much guys! a few clarifications:

his PARENTS got it for him as a present, but with MY reccomenation

his iBook does indeed have only 128 MB of RAM

The crash occurs after selecting the language. It says "Preparing Installer" and locks up (the cursor moves and the progress bar freezes). No options offered besides the language.

Thanks again!
Oh yeah... it's the 128MB of RAM. Could also be a bad DVD, but 128MB is about 384MB too little, or at LEAST 128MB too little...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
jsw said:
Oh yeah... it's the 128MB of RAM. Could also be a bad DVD, but 128MB is about 384MB too little, or at LEAST 128MB too little...

Agreed - I'd stick 512 MB in that puppy. That way, the overall performance will be snappier as well.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
~Shard~ said:
Agreed - I'd stick 512 MB in that puppy. That way, the overall performance will be snappier as well.

Here's the problem though: Although the iBook needs more RAM, shouldn't the Installer just say so and not lock up without explanation? Also, what if something else is causing the problem? His parents would be REALLY mad if they wasted $150 to save their $130 investment in Tiger.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
922 said:
Here's the problem though: Although the iBook needs more RAM, shouldn't the Installer just say so and not lock up without explanation? Also, what if something else is causing the problem? His parents would be REALLY mad if they wasted $150 to save their $130 investment in Tiger.
If the DVD verification passes, odds are very good it's the RAM.

And Tiger explicitly requires 256MB of RAM minimum, so I could see it locking up with less and not telling you. Not great to do so, but I can see it.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
jsw said:
If the DVD verification passes, odds are very good it's the RAM.

And Tiger explicitly requires 256MB of RAM minimum, so I could see it locking up with less and not telling you. Not great to do so, but I can see it.

Agreed - if the DVD checks out fine, the RAM is the culprit. Other Mac software does a similar check when it is installing to make sure the system is compatible. I remember similar things happening with installing iDVD, which does a check to see if a Superdrive is present or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.