Grumpy Old Men (or Women)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    This thread's motivated & inspired by a TV series running in the UK.
    On it, various blokey vaguely celeb types and comedians ponder the real question of our age...

Modern life: what is completely crap about it?

So, this is a place to unburden yourself and have a good old moan.
    It may even cheer you up...

ps. You don't have to be old to participate.

I'll go first...

Mobile (cell) phones: Just what exactly is so important about your tedious conversation that it can't wait until later? Why hold up the queue at the supermarket/bank/wherever while you bore the rest of us with your life? Why do you have to play with it constantly on public transport, like a chimp with a hand-mirror, or worse, try and send text messages when you're 100 feet underground on the tube? Why those immensely irritating polyphonic ring-tones that only serve to highlight your paucity of taste? Grrr.

And don't get me started on unopenable food packaging...

(Edit: This sour mood has been provoked by a 2 week and counting incarceration due to a mysterious viral illness)
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im in total agreement with with you on the cell phones!!! i just wanna smack some poeple
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
  4. mslifkin macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey
    Absolutely! People are just way too full of themselves sometimes. I was at a concert once, and during intermission headed to the Men's Room. What do I find when I walk in but some idiot standing at the urinal talking on his cell phone! Now I'm sorry, but nobody is THAT important. Well, thanks for letting me vent.

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    C'mon... there must be more things out there that really get to you than just mobile phones.

Let it rip!

6. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Idiotic Drivers, because I (like many of us) deal with a lot of rush hour traffic, and I think these people cost me time with my family by slowing me down:
    • people busy rubbernecking at someone changing a flat tire when I'm in a hurry.
    • people who do not use turn signals, especially when turning across oncoming traffic.
    • people who drive along the shoulder because they are too important to have to sit in traffic like everyone else.
    • people who think they can drive and do something else at the same time (eat, talk on cell, apply make-up, mess with radio, watch video, think, breathe).

I could go on, but I'm even getting a little pissed just typing this up, so I'll stop.
  7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
  8. Badradio macrumors 6502

Aug 19, 2004
    Cool idea for a thread: multiplayer online ranting.

Gotta be careful not get on a roll here, but the top three springing to mind:

1. People hogging the middle lane on motorways (members in the States won't get that one)
    2. When they split a film up on tv to show the news
    3. Dirty little scrotes spitting on the pavement
    ... and breathe...
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I would agree with all of that, the problems with mobile phones, and the lack of proper (or any) English locally.

Everyone seems to be so important that they don't have to make any effort to work with one another.
  10. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Is it just me, or is there something Freudian and deeply symbolic about that?
  11. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Kind of depends on whom he was talking to, doncha think? :p
  12. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2004
    Apex, N.C
    Pundits and random crap that sucks

I hate pundits. Turn on a TV, and there's some know-it-all giving his take on world events. As if their opinion changes everything. Save it for the pub!

And to take this to the next level — I'm a journalist, so this is especially dear to me — so many people take these pundits' opinions as fact. Are we such a consumer society that even our opinions come pre-packaged and shrink-wrapped? WTF?

The other day, a coworker felt it his duty to tell me what he thought should be done in Iraq. He subjects us to the O'Riley Factor each day on the office television (Most of the day it's on CNN.), and he was saying EXACTLY the same thing O'Riley said not 15 minutes before as if a light bulb had gone off in his head. And HE'S A JOURNALIST! You'd think that if there were anybody who would understand the difference between fact and opinion, it would be a JOURNALIST! :mad:

And then there's blogs. Do I care what you had for breakfast? NO! Don't post that crap. Not even your mother cares. As for your opinion, see above. You are not a media outlet. You don't have access to the West Wing, you self-important, wanna-be pundit. Get a diary! :mad:

(Really digging this cathartic expression. Perhaps I should get a blog? But I digress. Back to what's wrong with the world.)

Another thing wrong with the world: The Lacy Peterson case. She's dead. So is her baby. It's sad. And while the immediate family cares, the rest of us watching CNN do not. Same thing with Jessica Smart. She played the harp. She was kidnapped. No one really cared but TV journalists. Not every story is the OJ case. Not every shark attack is the "Summer of the Shark." Lets spend that amount of air time on real domestic and international issues.

"People's Court" clones have gotten out of hand. Judge Mathas, Judge Judy, Judge Hatchet, Judge Joe Brown ("Texas Justice"), et. al. It's all cell-phone bills, dog bites and (can I hear an Amen!) CRAP. If I wanted to listen to that crap, I'd go sit in on civil or small claims court at the county courthouse.

What makes the whole thing worse are the friggin' commercials. "Call 1-800-WIN-WIN1. Lawyers on the side of injured people." "Once call, that's all." ARGGGGGG!

You know what else sucks? Pop-ups and pop-unders. I understand your need to make money to support your site, but JEEZ-US! Perhaps we'll save that for another day.
  13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When people get off of an airplane and walk into the terminal, why must they always stop in the middle of the walkway for their reunions with family, blocking the dozens or hundreds of other passengers trying to pass through the same corridor? Getting a sloppy kiss from Aunt Bertha, who they haven't seen since last Thanksgiving, is certainly important, but if they would take one step to the left or right to get out of traffic before starting their joyous hugfest then the rest of us weary travelers could trudge on by. Thank you!
  14. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    When people post a "Hey, I just got 500 posts!" or "This thread is my 500th post!" thread. NOBODY CARES THAT YOU JUST GOT AN AVATAR! Personally, I think if you post one of those threads you should either be banned instantly, or you lose your ability to get an avatar.
  15. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    All the apparently too busy contractors who won't call you back when you need something fixed or installed. I mean, crap, I'm talking about thousands of dollars worth of equipment (heating and air conditioning) and/or construction, and I can't even get a return call or a quote.

They've even come to the house, seen what I need, then never called back.

16. EminenceGrise macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    - Cell phones have been mentioned - I concur. Also, the next phone I hear with 'Fur Elise' as a ringtone gets whatever large and handy object available in the immediate vicinity hurled at it.

- Bad drivers (also mentioned already). I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, BUT my favorite twisted tune is "Morons on the Road" (to the tune of 'Riders on the Storm') that played on the radio around Vancouver, B.C. for a while. The reason it's my favorite, is that it contains this line (about the only one I remember): "The impact of the crash drove the cell phone up his a**". :)

- People who cut in line (a.k.a. 'queue jumpers'). Come on, we covered this in Kindergarten FGS! These people are true wankers.

- The stampede for the door when the plane lands at the airport. Yes, folks, you'll be off the plane a whole 2 seconds quicker! GO GO GO! :rolleyes: (This also applies to a number of other situations as well.)

- Telemarketers. I pray there is a circle of hell reserved just for this lot.

- Movie/TV studios. I have had 'Twin Peaks' Season 1 on DVD for almost 3 years. WHERE IS SEASON 2? I don't care what petty money grubbing crap is behind it, just release the d*** thing! Also, I can apparently buy every crap TV series on DVD from the last four decades, but I can't get a good one like MacGyver. This sucks! I have no doubt that if by some miracle it ever is released, like the others, it will cost a mint even though the studios already made a killing from it. Bastards.
  17. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Great great show. Truly fantastic set of DVDs.
    Yeah, where's season 2! (On the way, apparently)

But I would say that, wouldn't I? Judging by my handle...
  18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I'd just like to say I LOVE the Grumpy Old Men series on BBC 2, absolutely BRILLIANT!
  19. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    C'mon then, edesignuk!

Apart from white van men & re-posters, what else really gets your goat?

You've seen the show, you know the score...
  20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    ok then...

Meetings with the management (or "team meetings")

Is there anything worse than having to sit in a room with your deeply deluded boss listening to their management spiel while desperately just trying to stay awake? Why do they feel the need to talk in their management lingo when talking to the people who work for them, and couldn't give a **** about the latest and greatest "policies and procedures". "pro-active, active, and re-active support sections" WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! Someone up there, PLEASE, speak ENGLISH DAMMIT!

Oh, and give me a ****ing pay rise you tight bastards :D
  21. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    people who cant decide what tehy want in fast food restaurants
  22. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    ooh, fast food restaurants... grr

'Do you want fries with that...?'

No... I would have bloody asked for them if I wanted them.
  23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    And how many times do you have to say "NO ICE"!?!?!?!
  24. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    1)Most mobile phone users - check
    2)Idiot drivers - check
    3)People arriving at airports rushing the door and then standing in it to meet family etc - check
    4)& on a similar theme people who stand in shop door ways when it's raining in town and won't move to let me out, it's really OK I know I'll get wet but thanks for the warning "It's raining out there y'know" What really is raining out there all of a foot away I'd never had noticed!

5)Check out staff who can 'serve' without any acknowledgement of my existence and without stopping their conversation to their friend. Although I've found one way to combat this. I kept catching myself automatically saying Thank You to these people when they handed my change over, even though they certainly didn't deserve my thanks. Now instead of Thank You I go with something left field like "Moon Landing!" (delivered with a smile) they always look up like they miss heard you and stop their conversations for a second. My best result was "Fire!" to which the startled cashier stopped and asked where to which I replied (looking at my watch) "about half past ten" (which it wasn't and just walked away leaving them bermused)

6)The 28kb/s dial-up internet connection from my Dad's MSWin98 PC I'm having to use at the moment. (see signature)
  25. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    People who insist that a suitcase is legit carry-on - then wait in the aisle for a flight attendant to stick it in the locker.

Expensive software that doesn't "just work".

People who tell the rest of us how to live our lives.

People who purchase (ticket, coffee, etc) THEN look for their wallets and THEN start to get rid of all their small change.

The cellophane wrappers on blank CDs / DVDs.