GTA On Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by FadeToBlack, Dec 31, 2005.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Well, I played an Xbox 360 tonight at GameStop and I am extremely impressed with it. (Played Dead Or Alive 4....excellent fighting game from what I seen) Anyway, I am a GTA fanatic. They are the best games of all time, in my opinion. What I was wondering is: has anyone played any of the older Xbox versions of GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas on their 360? If so, how do they run? I am just wanting to make sure that you can play them on the 360 and how they run before I buy a 360. (probably once the prices go down somewhat) Thanks in advance.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Assuming you already have those games on your xbox,

I've heard they have a 100% backward compatible update now. It means you can play every xbox game you want to. I think what you have to do is.......

KEEP YOUR XBOX :)

Why bother trading them in, Seriously you get like 50-60 for one and if that 50-60 is so important because money is tight then you shouldn't really be spending it in the first place... :eek:

(They are on the list of backwards compatible games, just check out www.xbox.com which will give you a list of all the games supported in your region)...http://www.xbox.com

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thing is, I don't actually have an Xbox. Right now, all I have is a PS2. I was going to buy the GTA series for Xbox if I got a 360, then sell my PS2. I don't have a whole lot of room in here, so I don't want 2 consoles. I prefer having just 1, anyway. The 360 is so much better than the PS2. I think it'll be worth rebuying (and replaying) the GTA series for Xbox.

4. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

The XBOX versions of GTA3 & San Andreas are great. Slightly tweaked graphics and custom soundtracks make for a really enjoyable GTA experience

From everything I've heard about San Adreas on the XBOX though, you're better off with the PS2 version. Apparently there are framerate issues, draw distance issues and some of the game glitches. Don't believe the hype though, you can pick up all three for under $50 if you look in the right places which makes for a great way to get into XBOX. If you're thinking about upgrading to a 360 you definitely should. Great piece of hardware and upcoming games look incredible.

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for the reply, man. Yeah, I'm almost definitely gonna get a 360 once the prices drop down some. I'll probably give them a couple of months.

San Andreas for PS2 runs pretty good. Some occasional slowdown, but it doesn't really bother me. I doubt the Xbox version is any worse. Of course, I haven't played it, so I can't really say.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

i haven't played gta on the 360 yet but i am pretty sure that its backwards compatible.

the framerate issues and whatnot may be improved on the 360, thing is powerful, i mean Halo 2 is much smoother on my 360.

7. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yeah, I was thinking about that, as well. The Xbox 360 is very powerful, so I figure the older games will run smoother on it.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

GTA vice city pack is improved on the xbox, GTA: SAN ANDREAS is not a great conversion on the xbox. Why they didn't bump up all the stuff they did in the original twin pack is a mystery, especially as it came out 6 months on the ps2.

All run on the 360 and unlike Halo they aren't improved. They are basically the same as the xbox, improvements and faults included.

9. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Just out of curiousity....why dont you just wait for the PS3? Since the PS3 will be 100% backwards compatible and you probably have a ton of games for the ps2, if I were you, and only wanted 1 console (Im definitely getting all 3), I'd just wait rather than switch platforms unless there is some other reason you want the 360. Good luck either way! ;)

10. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I only have 3 games for PS2 and those games are all GTA. :D

11. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

12. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

First off, the XBOX 360 isn't going to see a pricedrop for another year probably. Not until the holiday 06' season hits or the PS3 comes out (which as rumor has it is looking like a late holiday release).

Secondly, waiting to get a PS3 at this point is rolling the dice. There hasn't been a whole lot of PS3 news as of late and GTA hasn't even been announced as either a launch title or something that is in the works by Rockstar. I know game companies like Bungie, Rockstar and Blizzard can be secretive about their projects, but it's silly to assume we're going to see a new GTA in 2006.
    Life is short, get the games you want and play them now.

13. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Thats kinda my point... he's already got them and because he is such a huge fan, when the next one comes out, it'll be for the ps3 before its ported over to 360.

Also, who knows, the way rockstar cranks out those gta games, they very well could have one in the works for the launch of the ps3. Wishful thinking anyway...lol! :D

14. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I'm not waiting on a price drop on the 360, I'd just like to get it at the normal price, instead of marked up 200 bucks on eBay. I think $399 is fair, but I'm not paying $600 for the system alone.

I'm a huge fan of GTA, but I think I could wait on it to be ported to the 360. There will also be a lot of other games out to keep me busy until the new GTA (whenever it's even released) is ported to the 360.

ipacmm, thanks for the link. If I get a 360, that'll be what I buy.

15. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Hate to break it to you, but it is pretty far from 100%:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

At this point there aren't a lot of great new Xbox 360 games on the horizon, it's a hard system to find in stores, and there are some possibly hardware issues with some systems (which I'm sure the PS3 will have as well). I'd wait until next Fall to decide what system to buy, unless there really is an Xbox 360 game you can't live without (I can't think of any).

16. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

so just out of curiousity... why do you want the 360 over the ps3? Im getting all three and am just curious to see what your reasons are.

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yup, I have the GTA 'trilogy' on both PS2 and Xbox (don't ask), and while Vice City looks better than the PS2 version, if anything the Xbox version of San Andreas looks worse. There are persistent problems with level of detail reduction (some buildings remain just gray blobs until you drive right up next to them), occasional framerate issues, and in my opinion the Xbox version just looks more pixellated, particularly some of the road textures (I don't know what if any AA or texture filtering exists on the Xbox and PS2).

To compound it, San Andreas Xbox uses a different control system to the previous GTA games, which is quite awkward to use. To look behind you, you have to hold the white and black buttons together (which isn't the easiest thing to do, particularly if you're pressing the right trigger (accelerator) at the same time. To do a drive by, you have to hold white or black, and B, and the right trigger which you probably need double jointed fingers for.

18. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

I'll give you the three reasons I bought an XBOX 360 now...hell I'm throwing in a few extra.

1. I wanted to play PGR3, Call of Duty 2 (I don't have a PC...I mean obviously, I go to this site), DoA4, Geometry Wars Evolved, and in the next 6 months: Gears of War and (god willing) Halo 3.

2. I wanted to turn my old XBOX into a media center, but still play games on Live. Now I can do both :)

3. I don't want to:
    A. wait god knows how long for the PS3
    B. Support Sony anymore. The rootkit fiasco was one thing, the PSP graffiti fiasco is another.

4. I needed a DVD player for my bedroom.

5. I wanted 1st party wireless controllers to play my games...

Also, just don't like the direction the PS3 seems to be going, and by the time I think I'll be able to walk into a store and buy one, enjoy some killer games for it and not get pinched by the price it will most likely be 2007...a good year or more after I've been enjoying my 360.

6. It's white, heats up my room with its 3 fans...and frankly I needed a ginormous power supply to wedge on my floor.*

*--Sarcasm...sort of. :)

19. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

All good reasons, too bad it's a crappy DVD player though.

20. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Agreed, although I wasn't expecting anything stellar.

All things considered, it beats sharing a laptop nested between us when my girlfriend is over at my apartment though...its either that or we hang out in the living room with my roommate...yeeeeeahhhh...

21. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I've actually decided that I'm probably just gonna stick with the PS2 'til the PS3 comes out. I don't think I could do without GTA for 6 months or whatever waiting for it to be ported to the 360.

I traded my original PS2 that I had and got an Xbox, then ended up trading it for a PS2 right before San Andreas came out so that I could play it. As I said, I love GTA. :cool:

22. nimbus macrumors regular

If you don't mind me noodling in, I just find it quite hard to fathom on how Xbox 360 can call itself a Media Center without having a next gen DVD player.

Also, I'd like to know also does the GTA series work on the 360. Such a violent game, but fun at times.

Alas, I think it will be quite hard for Xbox 360 to have some games like GTA in the future. GTA was quite a large game on the PS2. It will surely be at least 5 times the size, an enormous game with lots of things going on. If developers create games with the "Blu-ray size" in mind, they will have to put them on multiple discs for them to work on the Xbox 360. That would be terrible to have to change discs constantly while playing GTA or other huge games on the 360. But contrary, it worked for the Final Fantasy series on the PS...
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

DOH!! Read my whole post. I was being sarcastic. The full backward compatible update was the Xbox..

Backwards compatability on the 360 sucks ass really (Pal worse than NTSC), of the 200 or so games I have for the xbox about 20 work... Took me all day to test... Defintely not getting rid of my xbox anytime soon....