Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I've been running it at 1280x800 with all settings normal and all the msaa's off. It still looks good an runs smooth with full v sync (750m)

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I've been running it at 1280x800 with all settings normal and all the msaa's off. It still looks good an runs smooth with full v sync (750m)

I'm running it on my 750m iMac at 900p, textures set to normal ( as well as reflections, shadows, water... at high) , FXAA on, MSAA off, post progressing normal, shaders normal, Grass normal, Tessellation high, and atmospheric filtering set to 4X, and I get around 70fps on average, with the lowest being around 45, and the highest fps being around 90. Vsync is off of course, and ignore suggested limits to on.

Really well optimised game.

I can turn the textures up to Very High (which fills out my 1GB of VRAM and uses around 900MB of system RAM as well) which seems to work fine (exact same frame rate as normal) but with the memory leak that the game has, RAM fills up as you play so after playing for 2 hours on Very High, I can get stuttering, so I keep textures at normal and have the game buttery smooth.

Last edited:

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
I'm running it on my 750m iMac at 900p, textures set to normal ( as well as reflections, shadows, water... at high) , FXAA on, MSAA off, post progressing normal, shaders normal, Grass normal, Tessellation high, and atmospheric filtering set to 4X, and I get around 70fps on average, with the lowest being around 45, and the highest fps being around 90. Vsync is off of course, and ignore suggested limits to on.

Really well optimised game.

I can turn the textures up to Very High (which fills out my 1GB of VRAM and uses around 900MB of system RAM as well) which seems to work fine (exact same frame rate as normal) but with the memory leak that the game has, RAM fills up as you play so after playing for 2 hours on Very High, I can get stuttering, so I keep textures at normal and have the game buttery smooth.

I don't see an option for 1440x900 which is strange. I just upped it to 1680x1050 which looks nice and smooth at half v sync.

Edit, used the nVidia control panel to add the resolution

Last edited:

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
Hi Guys,

Is there anyway to play GTA 5 within OS X? I purchased the game day after launch as a was into minds as to whether I'd get annoyed at rebooting eveytime to play. I should of gone with my gut, YES! I played it for like 2 days. Is there anyway of getting a Virtual Machine or Wineskin to run this?

My system is a hackintosh -

CPU: INTEL I7 3770K
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti OC 2gb

Cheers

Ive loaded my bootcamp windows into parallels, windows crashed when I tried to play GTA V, I've played Minecraft in parallels but I guess GTA V is a bit more complicated. I didn't bother trying to get it to work as my MacBook can reboot into windows in what feels like just a few seconds.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I see that a lot of people are having good experiences playing GTA V on their Macs but I've not seen my specific model mentioned anywhere yet. Has anyone played it at 1440p (native resolution) on the iMac in my signature below? Thanks!

Jordan1990

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2015
Any cMP owners tried GTA V? Trying to get an idea of what performace i could expect from mine in signiture below. Glad to hear everyone saying its well optimised, unlike the misery that was GTA IV on PC.

matt3526

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Is anyone else having problems getting this to run?

Every time I try to run it the screen goes black as if it's about to load and then a message appears saying "GTA V has stopped working". I am running Windows 8.1 through Bootcamp. I have tried reinstalling Windows but that hasn't sorted the problem.

My machine is a 2014 Macbook pro 15" with 16GB ram and an Nvidia 750M

Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013

Every time I try to run it the screen goes black as if it's about to load and then a message appears saying "GTA V has stopped working". I am running Windows 8.1 through Bootcamp. I have tried reinstalling Windows but that hasn't sorted the problem.

Thanks

You'll need to install Nvidia GeForce Experience and then download an install the drivers from that.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Any cMP owners tried GTA V? Trying to get an idea of what performace i could expect from mine in signiture below. Glad to hear everyone saying its well optimised, unlike the misery that was GTA IV on PC.

GTA V plays smooth with a GTX 680 2 GB or GTX 770 4GB. Around 57 frames/Sec @ 2560 * 1440 pixels. FXAA on, no MSAA. Mac Pro details below.

With the GTX 770 4 GB with details maxed out (except long shadows), it takes 3.2 GByte VRAM.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014

Thanks

This happened to me when I tried to start GTA V 'as admin'.

matt3526

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Thanks for the tips everyone, updating the drivers fixed it. I must say that this is an amazing port. I have everything turned up to high or more and it looks and runs perfectly!

Redface

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
I see that a lot of people are having good experiences playing GTA V on their Macs but I've not seen my specific model mentioned anywhere yet. Has anyone played it at 1440p (native resolution) on the iMac in my signature below? Thanks!

I play it on my Imac late 2011 with 12 gb ram and Radeon HD 6970M 1gb VRAM. Plays just fine (30-40 fps) on medium settings and DX11 (DX10 for some reason is much slower!) at 1440p. With your rig you should have no problems playing on high settings.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I play it on my Imac late 2011 with 12 gb ram and Radeon HD 6970M 1gb VRAM. Plays just fine (30-40 fps) on medium settings and DX11 (DX10 for some reason is much slower!) at 1440p. With your rig you should have no problems playing on high settings.

Thanks for answering my question. :)

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark
Anybody tried it on 15 inch Mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina with Intel Iris Pro only? Does GTA V work on it?

I did. Exact same model. You can't get anywhere near 60fps unless you crank it down to 1280x800 on the lowest setting. You could probably get it at 30fps a little higher though, but who wants 30fps... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.