gta3 on mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by nassau, Jul 2, 2002.

1. macrumors newbie

ok, here's the deal; i own a copy of gta3 for pc. after july 17th i will buy the fastest iBook available on the market. i hope to be able to play gta3 pc version on my new iBook running vpc5.

question: will this be possible or impossible? :confused:

if impossible, i will also buy myself a ps2 :p

peace

2. macrumors member

GTA3 requires a lot of video power.. and the ibook, with its small Video memory, will be unable to handle such a game. ON top of that its being emulated, so i would say your chances are close to 0. Get a ps2.

3. macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

sevag1 is right.

gaming w/ VPC is useless.

sorry. but it true. get a ps2.

C-

4. macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Video power is not the big issue here. The problem is with Direct X. Virtual PC doesn't support direct X at all, or if so very little. Most games that require it won't run under VPC. So I agree with the above as far as getting a PS2.

-Pete

5. macrumors newbie

No Chance

Sorry but you can't run 3D games with VPC5, it's something that they took out with version 4, (for some reason).

The PS2 version rocks by the way, it was created first and there aren't as many cars in it but apart from that Happy Theiving

6. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry to mirror what others have allready said, but...

...Not a hope in hell!

VPC is painfully slow even just doing simple tasks, you have no chance of gaming with it.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all replys. they are basically what i had expected, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't making an ass of myself buying the ps2 first (tomorrow) and the iBook onthe 17th and realizing i coulda saved my ps2 money...

thanks

btw, any news on gta3 being ported to mac? :D

8. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

gta3+vpc5=NFW

I have a question for you about playing gta3 on the peecee... I have heard complaints about the frame rate being suck ass... how is it on yours, and what system do you have (if a custom/self build, what are your major components)? I haven't had any frame rate issues on my über-game peecee, but then again, it's well built. :D

9. macrumors 6502

Dont get the iBook if you are a big gamer, the powerbook has more Video Ram and a better card. Before I got my new iMac, I had the iBook, great functioning computer, but unfortunately it does not play games in the best fashion.

" And my name is not Teabag, its teabg, Get It Right!"

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a CRAP dell P3 500mhz piece of **** laptop... if not, i'd be playing that gta thin atm... i get about 1 or 2 fps, yea u heard me 1 or 2! :D

11. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Damn dude, then I almost feel sorry for you, but someone purchased that dell PoC that you have...

I built up the game system that I use... has an AMD XP2100+ processor, 768MB of PC2100, two 160GB drives (RAID 0=320GB drive :D), dvd-rom (don't need a burner for the peecee), Sound Blaster Audiogy gamer edition card, Radeon 8500 (64MB version), 3Com NIC all inside a CoolerMaster ATC110 case. :D The RAID is via a Promise TX2000 controller, which has proven to be pretty damned good. The Radeon is attached to a ViewSonic VG175 LCD monitor, and I have a set of Cambridge Soundworks speakers attached to it (2.1 system) that just kicks ASS! Almost forgot, I use only Gigabyte boards, which is why I have a GA-7DXR there (diabled the RAID feature when I installed the Promise card).

I haven't tried to get a frame rate yet, it moves very smooth, without bogging down at all. UT runs sweet, as does Tribes 2, Commanche 4, you name it, it runs... :D

Next addition/alteration will be when ATI and nVidia release their next generation GPUs... I will get a new card at that point. Until then, it will continue to rock on... :D

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

yea, just shove it down my throat won't u! :D

and can u imagine i sat ur until 4 am playing gta3 with 1 FPS, that's how desperate i was for gta... but i had fun, lots of time to ponder ur next move! :D

13. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

LMAO!!!

Anytime... I probably won't be building a completely new system until AMD releases the next generation of chip (not Athlon based) in a couple of years. Either that, or when I start to see the system stutter on games that I simply cannot live without, then I will start 'tweaking' it full bore. Thing is, I could keep most of the components I have, and just update the mobo, cpu, memory, and video card and be good for another few years. :D

In case you can't tell... I'm addicted to tech/computers. I love Mac's (reason I own the new TiBook), but I also see a place for peecee's (game boxes). :D

Why don't you get the iBook and then build up a game peecee instead of purchasing a console?? Consoles are very limited, where you can do more with the system. Online gaming is a snap with a computer, but not so with consoles. I even heard that when the heXbox has the online gaming feature, you will be forced to use the ISP THEY tell you to (MSN). Talk about a reason to NOT get one... :D

14. thread starter macrumors newbie

xbox smn scary... nah, imma run with ps2, i but for gta and getaway ONLY, don't care much for other games except FPS like TO ghost recon etc etc...

peecee's are too expensive, plus, i don'twant a big screen in my small appartment, i'm an all out laptop guy...
    :)

15. job
    macrumors 68040

job

TO = Tactical-Ops?

hitman

16. job
    macrumors 68040

job

TO = Tactical-Ops?

hitman

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

yiea!!

u play?

18. job
    macrumors 68040

job

sorry about the double post up there.

anyways, yes I play! i have been playing since beta 1.2 was new. :D
    did you ever post in the tactical-ops forums, as I seem to recall a "nassau" there as well?

19. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Then delete one... :p

As for TO, I tried it last night on my TiBook... the downloadable one isn't anywhere near as good as UT. I play UT and FPS games to kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill... heh heh heh heh :D :D :D (get the point??? :D). TO just doesn't do it for me...

20. job
    macrumors 68040

job

I tried to delete one, however it said that my login was not valid for me to delete my own post. :rolleyes:

Heh, not enough gibs in TO for ya? :D :D

21. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You could PM one of the moderators to have them delete the dual post...

Nope, I like gobs of gibs... :D:D The bloodier the better... Nothing quite like using the chain gun on someone and making them stand there shaking as you keep shooting them even after they are dead. They don't drop until you stop, or they go splat. :D :D

22. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Why use the minigun when you could just play InstaGib CTF? :D :D Gibs, Gibs, and Gibs. But wait there's more!...more Gibs!! :D

Just wondering, aren't you a mod? Demi-God and all..... :p

23. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Demi-God, God, close enought... :D I am not a mod, since they actually have to be nice to the members/newbies here. I don't think I would last too long that way. Just something about tossing another newbie onto the fire in the winter that just makes me smile. :D Hell, I even do it in the middle of a heat wave. :D

I also enjoy the sniper head shots where the head is no longer there. :D Try SOF2 sometime, you can shoot people in the head, and parts of it come off.. can make for some fairly sick images, but cool at the same time. :D

Of course, you do realize that I will have to fire up the game system when I get home tonight, and begin killing all over the place... :D

24. job
    macrumors 68040

job

You as a mod, yeah, I guess that would be kind of scary. Might keep people from joining, but then you would keep all the "i OWnZ YoU caUsE I be l33T" people away from the forum as well. :p

How about Kingpin? **shudder** Lots of gratutious gore and profanity, and oh yeah, a little killing on the side :D What about those famous groin shots in SoF2? :D

Bah, I won't have a decent gaming system until this winter (i.e. after the expo). I really am hoping for a baseline tower with 1 to 1.2 Ghz, DDR-RAM, a L3 cache, and any Radeon for about 1,500 to 2,000 dollars. I would probably shell out an extra hundred dollars for a Radeon 8500. Seeing as I am paying for this myself, it might be awhile before I am able to play games on the level you do. (after reading about your PC gaming rig, it sounds very nice indeed. :D )

25. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How about tossing a blade into someone's chest in SOF2?? :D Personally, I liked making leg shots and then finishing them off as they crawl around. :D, Aye, I am a sick f*cker... :D :D

MOHAA is good with the shots too... Give that a twirl when you get a chance.. very nicely done game, hard as all hell in parts (depending on how you play ;)).

I can barely wait for UT2 to hit the shelves later this month... I will be trying to get a copy as soon as possible... :D

BTW, when you get that Radeon 8500 for your new svelte Mac tower, I will probably have the next generation GPU inside the game pc. :D :p