GTK+OSX hits .1 !!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FattyMembrane, Dec 31, 2002.

1. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

http://gtk-osx.sourceforge.net/

i know that people say this with every new feature, but this could seriously be the nail in the coffin for windows and even some linux distros. this project has been in planning for years, but is finally yielding results. the immediate goal of the project is to provide a native interface to "film gimp" but beyond that, it will allow all xwindows/gtk apps to run NATIVELY in mac os x (no xfree, xdarwin, oroborus, etc). this is big news. it's on versiontracker, but i felt that i had to post it.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's been in planning for years and now it's at .1? Score another victory for open source software...

3. kenkooler macrumors regular

its nice to have gtk in osx but i don´t see it as a threat to windows or any linux distro, i'll just be happier running openoffice without xfree

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i really dont see any signs pointing to this being in planning for years. in fact the project was only registered with sourceforge a week ago.

also, the reason this can be a threat to linux and windows is the ability to program something in gtk and it be able to run natively on OS X with a simple installation of the libraries. no X required means there is one less reason for a *nix-head not to buy a mac.

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

now all we need is for the qt libraries to be ported.
    if they have been already please let me know.

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

7. FattyMembrane thread starter macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

hey, better late than never. besides, it's a very complex project.

ok, by years i mean about 2. this project was originally conceived when osx debuted for its obvious benefits and has gone by another name for most of it's existance (gtkosx or gtkX or quartz-gtk or something like that). the sourceforge project was recently started from the scraps of the previous projects.

Qt 3.0 supports osx, which means that we should see some pretty cool apps running natively very soon (like www.jashaka.com)