Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Hello All,

I was searching this forum for GTX 295, but I didn't find what I was looking for, it's a pretty new card so no surprise there. I did find a similar topic about the 4870X2 from a couple of months ago, but I'm not 100% clear if the same applies to this card. If this has already been covered in detail, I apologize, and please point me in the right direction:

I have an early 2008 2.8Ghz, and Vista64 is running great on a separate hd (Samsung Spinpoint F1). I'd like to upgrade to a GTX 295 to use with Vista, and still be able to use OSX. I just want to make sure I have my facts straight. I ordered one of these cables from ATI a while ago, is that what I need to get this up and running? And is there an easy way to keep the 8800GT as well to run Mac OSX (without using the optical drive power) or do I need to replace it with a 2600XT for this setup to work? I'd hate to get rid of the 8800GT if all I need is another cable (or two) to get both cards working.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Thoughts?

macest

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
You will require three power feeds for the 8800 + 295 setup. The 8800 requires one 6-pin, the 295 requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin. The Mac Pro only has two PCI-E power connectors on the motherboard, therefore you cannot run the configuration you want off of those alone.

The ATI solution won't work because you can't run an ATI card and NVIDIA card simultaneously in Windows. The only option I can see working is using the spare molex connector from the optical bay.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
You will require three power feeds for the 8800 + 295 setup. The 8800 requires one 6-pin, the 295 requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin. The Mac Pro only has two PCI-E power connectors on the motherboard, therefore you cannot run the configuration you want off of those alone.

The ATI solution won't work because you can't run an ATI card and NVIDIA card simultaneously in Windows. The only option I can see working is using the spare molex connector from the optical bay.

Can you jack power from one of the optical bays if you have a SuperDrive in each? (like in a PC when you run a fan off the molex, as well as the drive), or does that overload the connection?

macest

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
Can you jack power from one of the optical bays if you have a SuperDrive in each? (like in a PC when you run a fan off the molex, as well as the drive), or does that overload the connection?

You could use molex splitter, but I wouldn't advise it. I don't think a single molex cable supplies enough power for a 6-pin connector (molex to 6-pin cables usually have two molex inputs on them), let alone powering a superdrive as well.

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006

OK, that makes sense, thanks for the reply. Should I be worried about using the connector from the optical bay for the 8800, if I don't need it for anything else? I'm assuming the PSU can handle the load with both cards.

-- nevermind, I think you answered that above.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
You could use molex splitter, but I wouldn't advise it. I don't think a single molex cable supplies enough power for a 6-pin connector (molex to 6-pin cables usually have two molex inputs on them), let alone powering a superdrive as well.

So with the normal set up (ie: single installed SuperDrive) the power comes from a single molex socket on the logic board to the 6/8-pin on the GPU?

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
I'm going to try this tonight, I'll let you know how it works out. If I can do it, it must be pretty easy :)

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Well, the good news is I got the GTX 295 running in Windows Vista with no problems. The 8800GT that came with my mac is connected using the optical drive power. The bad news: when I try to boot OSX I get a kernel panic. After trying that I would get a black screen in Vista unless I disconnected power from the 8800GT.

update: still no luck in OSX. At first I could see both cards in Device Manager. Now I only see the gtx 295 and if I have both cards connected, no picture at all.
Any ideas?

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Have you thought about buying a separate PSU for the 295? I'd leave the 8800GT on the native PSU and get at least a 700W PSU to power the 295. Since you won't be able to plug the second PSU into the motherboard you'll need to mod the 24 pin motherboard connector so that you can turn the second PSU on with either the switch on the unit or by adding your own switch. Both options are easy to do. Using the switch on the PSU unit is easier. Instructions. Good luck.

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
A second PSU is an interesting idea, hopefully it doesn't come to that. My goal is to dual boot while having the correct card recognized automatically for each OS. I've got this working in OSX but not Vista (this is paraphrased from a thread on the nvidia forums):

"I don't think it's a power issue. [the 980W PSU] is well within spec to run both cards. After tinkering a bit (updated EFI firmware) I can boot OSX and Windows now with both cards (I'm using Vista 64, not XP). Vista is booting fine, but it seems to be defaulting to the 8800 after running OSX. I tried just switching the monitor cable between cards for a quick check to see which one it's using. In Windows, with the cable plugged into the GTX, I get no image (after using OSX). If I disconnect the power supply to the 8800 and reboot it uses the GTX. OSX now seems to be able to figure it out and uses the 8800GT with power connected to both cards."

I'm gonna play around with this some more tonight.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Well, the good news is I got the GTX 295 running in Windows Vista with no problems. The 8800GT that came with my mac is connected using the optical drive power. The bad news: when I try to boot OSX I get a kernel panic. After trying that I would get a black screen in Vista unless I disconnected power from the 8800GT.

update: still no luck in OSX. At first I could see both cards in Device Manager. Now I only see the gtx 295 and if I have both cards connected, no picture at all.
Any ideas?

When you get a blank screen, what happens when you tap on the keyboard a few times? By default Windows will use the 8800GT as it's main videocard until such time you tell it otherwise...

Depending on which version of windows your using, it'll hate having more than one card!! Try disabling the 8800GT in device manager.

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
When you get a blank screen, what happens when you tap on the keyboard a few times? By default Windows will use the 8800GT as it's main videocard until such time you tell it otherwise...

Depending on which version of windows your using, it'll hate having more than one card!! Try disabling the 8800GT in device manager.

Yeah, it definitely does not like it. I don't think I touched the keyboard, I'll give that a shot. I did try disabling the 8800GT and then freaked out when both OSX and Vista didn't boot. After a couple of tries I got Vista to boot in safe mode, then OSX worked again... but that had me worried. I'll try again since I updated the firmware - I don't even know if that's related at all but OSX is booting fine with both cards hooked up since I did that.

bumble-bee

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Keep on runing!

Hi, what about the 295gtx fan's, are they runing at full power under os x?

Keep on trying :rolleyes:

Greetings

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Good luck punkmofo, and keep us updated!

I need a good gaming computer, but need OSX for school stuff. I'd love to get a Mac Pro, but the only way I'd consider it is to be able to install a GTX 295 like you're doing!

I'm anxious to see if you can get it to work!

EDIT: And do you mind taking a pic of the interior of your computer. I'd love to see what a 8800 and 295 look like together in the Mac Pro!

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, what about the 295gtx fan's, are they runing at full power under os x?

Nope, the fans go full tilt for a few seconds when the machine starts up, other than that they're pretty quiet. The GTX is a little louder than the 8800GT though, which is pretty much silent most of the time.

mattcube64 said:
Good luck punkmofo, and keep us updated!

I need a good gaming computer, but need OSX for school stuff. I'd love to get a Mac Pro, but the only way I'd consider it is to be able to install a GTX 295 like you're doing!

I'm anxious to see if you can get it to work!

EDIT: And do you mind taking a pic of the interior of your computer. I'd love to see what a 8800 and 295 look like together in the Mac Pro!

No problem, but it'll have to wait a couple of days, the camera's at work right now. I have a giant glowing blue cable going from the 8800 through the top of the optical bay, and the side panel off - until I work up the patience to fish the power through properly (Why is that hole so small?).

Anyway folks, everything seems to be running. After disabling the 8800GT I installed the 181.22 drivers again, then had to start in safe mode (because that killed everything). Now finally Vista also works with both cards plugged in. I played a few minutes of Crysis Warhead with everything on 'Enthusiast' and 4xAA to make myself feel better. Unfortunately I had to return one of the DVI cables to work today so I just need to pick up a new one for the final test. Sweet. I'll keep you posted.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Nope, the fans go full tilt for a few seconds when the machine starts up, other than that they're pretty quiet. The GTX is a little louder than the 8800GT though, which is pretty much silent most of the time.

No problem, but it'll have to wait a couple of days, the camera's at work right now. I have a giant glowing blue cable going from the 8800 through the top of the optical bay, and the side panel off - until I work up the patience to fish the power through properly (Why is that hole so small?).

Anyway folks, everything seems to be running. After disabling the 8800GT I installed the 181.22 drivers again, then had to start in safe mode (because that killed everything). Now finally Vista also works with both cards plugged in. I played a few minutes of Crysis Warhead with everything on 'Enthusiast' and 4xAA to make myself feel better. Unfortunately I had to return one of the DVI cables to work today so I just need to pick up a new one for the final test. Sweet. I'll keep you posted.

Awesome, thanks!

So, does that mean you have both cards installed at the same time. Vista is automatically using the 295, and OSX is automatically using the 8800? No crazy loops you have to jump through?

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
I won't know for sure until I pick up another dvi cable. But it is booting both OS's with power going to both cards, which is a step up. I only have one monitor cable at the moment so it's automatically using whichever card I plug it into.

bumble-bee

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Great Try

Punkmofo, can u post a screenshot of your system-profiler,
which shows how the 295gtx is listed in Mac OS X?
Did u modify the drivers of Mac OS X?

And that I understand u right, under Mac OS X the 295GTX in idle mode is as loud as the 8800gt? unbelievably!!!:eek:

I won't know for sure until I pick up another dvi cable. But it is booting both OS's with power going to both cards, which is a step up. I only have one monitor cable at the moment so it's automatically using whichever card I plug it into.

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
And that I understand u right, under Mac OS X the 295GTX in idle mode is as loud as the 8800gt? unbelievably!!!:eek:

Not exactly - what I said was "The GTX is a little louder than the 8800GT". It's quieter than I expected for such a huge beast, and not running very hot at all. It isn't any louder in OSX than it is in Windows. It definitely doesn't have the annoying airplane engine whine of the 8800GT which gets really loud as you crank up the speed. I was using rivatuner to adjust the fan speed on the 8800 but I stopped because I was getting some weird results.

Edit: No, I haven't modified any drivers.

Here are some screenshots. As you can see, Windows has no problem recognizing both cards. OSX has no idea what to make of the gtx 295. I'm hoping this might change with 10.6.

Attachments

• devicemanager.JPG
    devicemanager.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Systemprofiler1.png
    Systemprofiler1.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Systemprofiler2.png
    Systemprofiler2.png
    51 KB · Views: 242

punkmofo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
... I thought it was interesting that the gtx shows up twice in the device manager. Here's another screenshot showing the gtx 295 specs in the appearance control panel.

Attachments

• gtx295.JPG
    gtx295.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 175

bumble-bee

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2008
Wow

Thanks for the screenshots,
I see that u have mounted the 8800gt in Slot 1, and the 295gtx above.

I think only slot 1 is a the pci-e 16x slot, above there are three slots with 4x and 8x.

Wouldn't it be better to mount the 295gtx in slot 1 to get the full power of the beast, an mount the 8800 in a 4x or 8x slot??

I mean this:
Go to /system/Library/CoreServices/Expansion Slot Utility
There u can configure the slots.

Bumble-bee

... I thought it was interesting that the gtx shows up twice in the device manager. Here's another screenshot showing the gtx 295 specs in the appearance control panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.