Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patlee88

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Awesome ! Glad I could help...

Mr Dr,

Did you try to overclick the core and memory? I tried to use evga precision/ nvidia tuner, both program can detect the gtx680, but precision can only show the core MHz. While cant find any info for memory. If using nvidia tuner, even both core and memory won't display.

Any best oc softwares that recommend?

Thanks

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Thanks for this! I've got a GTX680 4GB Classified on the way, and I already have the 450W aux. power supply for the 2x 8-pin connectors it needs. I've read your thread on fitting the aux power supply and it's the neatest approach I've seen --- I'm gonna copy it :D

It might take me a little while to get it all done, but I'll report back how it works out!

Cheers!

Awesome ! Let us know how it goes.....

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Mr Dr,

Did you try to overclick the core and memory? I tried to use evga precision/ nvidia tuner, both program can detect the gtx680, but precision can only show the core MHz. While cant find any info for memory. If using nvidia tuner, even both core and memory won't display.

Thanks

I haven't tried to OC yet. I just wanted to get my clocks back to where they were before I flashed with the Mac rom image.

Make sure you follow this:

"If you have a copy of your original BIOS before flashing (you should). Make all the settings on the first tab (Common) of the Tweaker match. The new Mac rom settings on this first tab should ALL match your original unflashed PC rom."

Last edited:

djh-au

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks for this! I've got a GTX680 4GB Classified on the way, and I already have the 450W aux. power supply for the 2x 8-pin connectors it needs. I've read your thread on fitting the aux power supply and it's the neatest approach I've seen --- I'm gonna copy it :D

The extra PSU setup; is that for a single card or dual setup?

If I go for a single GTX680 4G FTW+, what it the best way to power it, considering it has the 8 pin connectors on it?
ta

Last edited:

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Hmm, is it possible to make a hybrid rom using dumped roms BIOS like HD6970? I'm using GTX690 and it works on 2.5GT everywhere, in OS X and Windows :(

Durex

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
The extra PSU setup; is that for a single card or dual setup?

If I go for a single GTX680 4G FTW+, what it the best way to power it, considering it has the 8 pin connectors on it?
ta

I'll use the auxiliary 450W PSU for a single GTX 680 Classified, which has 2x 8-pin connectors.

There have been plenty of debates in the threads here about the safety of powering cards with 8-pin connectors, using only the 6-pin connectors in the MacPro, with possibly drawing additional power from the disk bays, or second optical drive bay. Some people have had success with this, and others have not (causing damage to graphics card, the logic board...).

If you want piece of mind, only get a card with 6-pin connectors if you have no intention of adding an additional PSU. Otherwise, you might have problems...

Some people use external PSUs to power their 8-pin cards, others opt for an internal 5.25" drive bay mounted PSU.

See Dr. Stealth's thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1520765/

If you have the tools and time to do this, it is a very neat approach.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Mr Dr,

Thanks

I overclocked my cards BIOS directly with Kepler BIOS Tweaker. No need to run Precision X but it seems to work also. I'm running the same specs & speeds as a Classified card without any issues.

If you OC with a utility in windows like Precision X then you're only OC'd in Windows. If you OC the BIOS of the card with Kepler BIOS Tweaker then you're OC'd in Windows and OS X.

Attachments

• cards.PNG
    cards.PNG
    705.3 KB · Views: 933
Last edited:
Reactions: theone29

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Now i really wish id bought the Mac Pro whilst it was still available in the UK, instead i (stupidly) held out for the refresh, so instead of having to do some slight hacking of a couple of GPU cards, ive now got to build and hack together a hackintosh PC that can output Thunderbolt, so i can hide it away from my desk and use my iMac as a monitor.

No need to hide it away. I built mine in an old Power Mac G5 (aluminium) case. You can't tell what's on the inside. ;)

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Boom!! It works. Finally my Zotac 4GB gtx680 can see the grey screen again. Thanks for everyone effort.

I see you have the Zotac 4gb which is 6pin + 6pin. Can you tell me if the Display Port output works after the Flashing.

freedom42

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
PCI Fan Speed

Can someone look at what their PCI fan speed idles at with the GTX680 in place?

With the legacy AMD card the fan idles at 800 RPM (e.g. quiet), where with the GTX in place idle speed in my case is around 1400 RPM (e.g. annoying growl). But that said the card I purchased was an open box return and there was a splash of heat sink compound at the edge connection. Thus I'm wondering if someone was playing with an after market cooler and didn't get the card back to factory configuration...

Also I tried playing around with the GTX's default fan speed. Didn't help. Also with clock speeds in an attempt to lower power dissipation. Also didn't change anything.

I notice that on boot the GTX leaves its fan at low speed, where the AMD runs maxed out until the system boots. The result is that the GTX drives the PCI fan to crazy high speed some time after boot things cool down and the PCI fan gets to the number cited (1400 RPM). Does this sound normal for the GTX?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I'm no expert but I kind of doubt it. Even the 680 2GB rom did not work with the 680 4GB cards until someone hacked it.

----------

According to Macvidcards.... No it does not. He's done testing with them and says with either cable setup the benches come out the same.

Thanks. Thought I heard of some others flashing a 670. Just can't find no info or rom image or how it's done.

Tutor

macrumors 65816
I'm pretty old.... And you know how old people are...... :D

From a Roman thru & thru:
LAHS grad - 1971 and will be 60 this fall - but I still keep myself in shape just as I did under my track and field coach Ollie Matson. That's when Norm Schachter was principal, walking the NFL fields on Sundays and, later on Monday nights, while rushing everyone to class on weekdays.

BTW- Old people are just young people in aging shells, who were fortunate enough to have potentially more life experiences and greater opportunities to gain more wisdom, as well as having greater responsibility to share that wisdom.

Last edited:
Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Michiel Otten

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013

With the legacy AMD card the fan idles at 800 RPM (e.g. quiet), where with the GTX in place idle speed in my case is around 1400 RPM (e.g. annoying growl). But that said the card I purchased was an open box return and there was a splash of heat sink compound at the edge connection. Thus I'm wondering if someone was playing with an after market cooler and didn't get the card back to factory configuration...

Also I tried playing around with the GTX's default fan speed. Didn't help. Also with clock speeds in an attempt to lower power dissipation. Also didn't change anything.

I notice that on boot the GTX leaves its fan at low speed, where the AMD runs maxed out until the system boots. The result is that the GTX drives the PCI fan to crazy high speed some time after boot things cool down and the PCI fan gets to the number cited (1400 RPM). Does this sound normal for the GTX?

Hi,
This is not normal your PCI fan speed should be 800 rpm. Luckily there is a solution to this and that is to stress your card/cpu so that the PCI fan goes above 2000rpm after which it goes back to its normal behaviour and will remain to do so until you turn off your computer. Even a reboot will not result in the high PCI fan speed (notice also the CPU fan shows a similar behaviour but is less noticeable compared to the PCI fan).

Michiel.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA

Use Kepler BIOS Tweaker to verify the fan speeds have not been tweaked by a previous owner. I have my minimum set to 40% but stock is 20% to 30% from what I've seen.

Attachments

• Capturez.PNG
    Capturez.PNG
    183.6 KB · Views: 802

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
I wonder if this approach could be used to overclock my real evga gtx680 mac edition in OSX. Has anyone tried that? Using MSI Afterburner in Windows 8 to overclock the card in windows. The biggest improvement I've seen at least with benchmarks is overlocking the RAM.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2001
Decided to answer my own question. Used cuda-z to verify. Again this is the real evga mac edition 2gb:

cuda-z is reporting the boost clock, not the core clock for some reason. But everything else is correct.

Core is now 1110: Boost 1176: Ram: 6408
Power Output threshold appears to have been increase but I'm not sure how as I did not change anything in that area. It might be something thats done automatically when modifying the rom in kepler tweaker?

Also, more importantly EFI did not get touched and boot screens are intact.

Attachments

• core.png
    core.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 637
  • mem.png
    mem.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 583
  • perf.png
    perf.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 592

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Decided to answer my own question. Used cuda-z to verify. Again this is the real evga mac edition 2gb:

cuda-z is reporting the boost clock, not the core clock for some reason. But everything else is correct.

Core is now 1110: Boost 1176: Ram: 6408
Power Output threshold appears to have been increase but I'm not sure how as I did not change anything in that area. It might be something thats done automatically when modifying the rom in kepler tweaker?

Also, more importantly EFI did not get touched and boot screens are intact.

Great info...

I'm sure there are others with the Mac card that would like a little boost...

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Now i really wish id bought the Mac Pro whilst it was still available in the UK, instead i (stupidly) held out for the refresh, so instead of having to do some slight hacking of a couple of GPU cards, ive now got to build and hack together a hackintosh PC that can output Thunderbolt, so i can hide it away from my desk and use my iMac as a monitor.

I just bought a Mac Pro 5,1 second hand this week for £999. Excellent condition, and with a 1 year warranty. A 2.8 Quad with 5770, 12Gb RAM and a 1Tb drive. Found out that it also has Applecare till April 2014 which wasn't advertised.

I already have the W3680 and a Zotac 680GTX 4Gb, ordered along with a Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro and an SSD. I wanted to keep the Optical Bay free for a Bluray, and I can put a second larger SSD on the Sonnet Board.

I am guessing if looking at Hackintosh route that official support isn't a requirement so well worth looking at second hand Mac Pro's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.