Gual G5 and Dell 20.1" Widescreen Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ShermDog, Nov 26, 2004.

1. ShermDog macrumors regular

I am thinking of purchasing a Dell 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen LCD monitor to use with a Dual 2.0 G5. However, the monitor also has S-video in and I would like to also use it as an LCD TV.

If I connected either a cable box or DirecTV receiver to the monitor using the S-video port, will I be able to watch TV? What quality picture could I expect from this scenario? Since the monitor is widescreen, will the picture be stretched out and short, or will there be black bars on either side of the picture? Would I have the option of selecting the resolution, or would the monitor/cable box do that automatically?

Or, is this just a bad idea?

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

you should be able to.. just keep in mind you need some speakers as well... other than that, you should see black bars on the sides and it should will the screen... which would be 1400*1050 i believe... i guess you need to wait for nospleen to see this thread... he has the same display...

good luck,
    reality