Guantanamo Prison Guards, Inmates Clash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 19, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

something seems off. thirty-nine suicide attempts in 52 months, yet there were 4 yesterday?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And at least 12 of those 39 were from the same guy. Agreed, something is up. Wonder how many of these people are actually guilty of something. Especially based on the fact that there aren't enough translators to go around.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

three more suicides today. reuters link
    according to this august 2004 guardian article:

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This Guantanamo thing is increasingly obscene.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is absolutely disgusting. Those deaths are on the hands of all of us in countries of the coalition of the willing. What the hell has western society come to where we don't care about our own governments breaking international law and blatantly abusing human rights. We are all cowards for not demanding loudly enough they are put on trial.

It angers me enought that I can easliy imagine how it is alienating and vindicating the actions of the next generation of suicide bombers.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe at this point, they've just given up. They don't think they'll ever be freed or even go to trial. Maybe they think we're going to go all scorched Earth. Or that we just aren't going to do anything. I think I'd go nuts too. Especially for those who were guilty and wanted to be martyrs who are nuts anyway.

"Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers" indeed.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, none of those reasons apply at all.
    In fact, it was an 'an act of asymmetric warfare waged against us'.

Thought I'd share that just in case you had any crazy ideas that these men were in any way mistreated.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Pay no attention. After all, exactly this method of going mad is described in Al Qaeda training manuals.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know you're being sarcastic, but maybe this is an act of scorched Earth against us. They'd rather do themselves in than let us get anything out of them. Of course, if there were more suicide bomber types in there, you'd think they would have done this a long time ago. Or even immediately after being captured.

No, I gotta go with my original Occam's Razorish hypothesis that there's a lot more force being used than necessary.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Or perhaps conversely, a complete and callous disregard for people's health and safety.

Isn't it odd that after attempting hunger-strikes that they had access to all these things that could easily be fashioned into nooses?

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

So what are you insinuating exactly?

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm saying that these people with a prior history of self-harm should have been on some form of suicide watch. It happens in prisons here and elsewhere... to not do so is, at the very least, pure neglect. Whether there's something more sinister to it is a possibility that shouldn't be ignored.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Months on end in solitary confinement with sensory deprivation, no sunlight, beatings, sodomisation, sleep deprivation, electric shocks, constant loud music, beatings, 20 hour interrogation sessions, etc etc would be enough to make anyone want to top themselves, guilty or innocent, to escape that kind of hell. I bet we haven't heard the half of it either :(.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

oh, the irony.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Unbe-fecking-lievable

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5069230.stm

Suicide is a "PR stunt"??????? Wtf are these guys on?

I refer to my post above:
    which was meant to be a satirical comment. You couldn't make this stuff up. Face it, guys, the US of A has been taken over by loonies.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If a Islamic extremist wants to hang himself I say give em a rope. In fact they should issue ropes to all of them with instructions on how to tie knots.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Get real, DHM. Half these "Islamic extremists" were picked up off the street and sold into captivity.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hold on just a second. These people have been not tried of anything, let alone found guilty. There have already been people released from Guantanamo who have been cleared of involvement in combat.

Let's flip the situation around and imagine US soldiers incarcerated overseas for years without trial and then 3 of them simultaneously commit suicide... can you imagine the White House calling that a PR stunt? No, I don't think so.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

99% of those guys didnt get picked up for playing Bingo. Still I do agree they all deserve trials and ropes.:)

20. calculus Guest

calculus

Oh dear dear dear...

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't suppose you can support that assertion in any meaningful way, can you?

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Muslims dont Gamble?

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nice try, but I'm afraid they do.:)

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How the hell can you even joke about your country's abuse of human rights?

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There isnt a country or govt on this planet that is innocent.