Guard Reports Serious Drop in Enlistment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 16, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

shall we take bets on the timing of the draft? i say december 2006.

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am aware through some buddies at the Pentagon, that there is some rumor of shifting responsibilities to different forces to alliviate the work load.
    Ex. Navy Reservists do more of the on land work, Air Force Reservists do more in theater as well. This could help some of the Army/Marine shuffle.

Combined with stop/loss (where personnel are not allowed to leave the military for retirement or after completion of commitment), a redistribution of personnel from Europe/Med/Asia could significantly contribute.

The Draft will be last resort. The only people that have put legislation in to revive it are a couple of Democrats.
    A Draft may happen, but I would think it is a minimum of 2-3 years out.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'll wait to voice my opinion after the Iraqi elections. Things will either get worse or better, although my gut says worse as the Iraqis look likely to vote in those on the religious right. Funny how gw thinks that's a bad thing seeing as that is where he belongs....

Now that I think about it, after mid-term elections would be the time to institute the draft. I'm sure that by twisting the rules enough they can maintain a large enough force until then.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I suspect Bush will declare "mission accomplished" after the elections, then pull out fairly rapidly. Things will descend into an even worse mess, we'll be out $200 billion and 1200-plus lives, but at least there'll be no draft.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

that's the reasoning behind my december 2006 estimate.

6. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Don't forget the coalition is shrinking by at least 2000 troops early next year

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_orbat_coalition.htm

That adds some more strain. I also predict that the election will have the effect of drawing the battle lines in Iraq, not the effect of putting a legitimate government in power. Every time the U.S. has administration has implied that opposition would decrease after a certain event (weeding out of loyalists, handover, elections), the opposition has in fact increased. By late Spring U.S. forces will be facing stronger opposition with less help.

I have a hard time guessing what the administration will do at that point.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know a couple of soldiers who regret joining the military. And that's just sad. If the administration had done a better job instead of just trying to put a spin on the negatives, this would not be happening. Look at how well Kosovo went. Or even Afganistan for that matter. After 9/11, people were more willing to join up and fight the bad guys, like during the World Wars. Now? Another Vietnam. But I'm sure it's all the media's fault for showing how badly things are going, rather than those who actually let it get bad in the first place.

Why are we in Iraq again? While Bin Laden (you know, the guy who actually attacked us, and threatens to do so again) is still out there? Does anybody really know?

I'd like to see them try a draft. I really would. So many lawsuits, so many people pretending to be gay (can't have it both ways Bush). I say anyone who voted for Kerry gets an automatic out. I'll be here really supporting the troops, trying to make sure this type of thing doesn't keep happening. And when we go into war, we make sure it is not lightly. That it is planned, and our troops are better trained, taken care of during, and after their duty, and not lied to. And that even 1 casualty is 1 too many.

Not that anyone will be listening. They'll be too busy wrapped up in their own lives, hanging yellow ribbons, and calling people like me traitors. Thinking it will never happen to them. We shall see.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That leaves at least 90% of 18-24 still eligible 'cause they didn't bother to vote for anyone at all. So there's a lot of derelict *******s I won't feel sorry for.