Guard units stretched thin

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 17, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

i want a draft.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah yes... fire season. I'm keeping the greenbelt around the house well maintained about now.

Of course if there aren't enough guard troops we can always use prisoners.

But really, the disaster in New Orleans needs to be seen for what it was. The slow initial response was part of the trade off our country has made by deciding to engage in a foreign war of this magnitude and duration. Are Americans willing to make those kind of sacrifices for the goals Bush has laid out for us? Are we ready to sacrifice American cities to the cause? Up until now, no national sacrifices have been made. The only ones sacrificing up until now were the soldiers and the families of soldiers.

We know Americans only care when things affect them personally. Fighting for liberty for Iraqis may have been something many of them supported in the abstract, but if they realize that promoting freedom abroad puts them at risk at home they may not support bringing freedom at the point of a gun to the rest of the world.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

And a certain number of Iraqis...

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There was a time when the National guard was suppose to be for this country and not fighting some !@#$%^politicians spun up war on the otherside of the planet.
    After a lifetime of leaning republican i dont think ill ever be able to support these guys after seeing what they have done the past 4- 5 years. Discraceful is the only word i can think of. National Guard problem is another problem of their making.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well I was speaking strictly from an American political POV, but yes, you are correct. In fact, many many people around the world have suffered in one way or another as a result of our Struggle Against Violent Extremism.