Guess what my niece got for Xmas? (tough guess in this community ;-)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr_Ed, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

My 11 year old niece decided about a year go she wanted a laptop computer so she saved every penny she got for Xmas last year, birthday, and any other legal tender she could get her hands on. That and what she was getting for Xmas this year went into the item you see in the pictures. She is thrilled, and so are her uncle and grandfather who just happen to be Mac fans.

They considered "cheaper" alternatives but when I pointed out little things were missing, like SOFTWARE FOR DOING ANYTHING BESIDES WRITING A FRIGGIN' LETTER, they reconsidered :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ksz macrumors 68000

Now there's a way to bring a smile to a child's face, or even to an adult's!

My sister got a 20-in iMac. And a Sony HDR-HC1 high-def video camera to take plenty of videos of the new baby! Why preserve those precious moments on anything but High-Def?

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

This makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

it's like bringing home a new puppy!

5. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

ahh laptops on the bed! over heat! over heat!

6. me! whoelse? macrumors newbie

Yes, do keep it off the bed. That assignment I did for 5 hours straight on the bed my old iBook G4 1.2Ghz couldn't live with the struggle of the heat and died. It doesn't matter now I have my PowerBook G4 15" from Christmas.

7. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

8. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Totally awesome. My sister got a 15" PowerBook from her husband last year.

This year, my niece got a 2 GB iPod nano of Christmas. At one point last night, though, she said something to the effect of "If Santa comes, he'll give me an iBook." They're currently PC users. I feel I've done my part to indoctrinate her. :D

9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Those pictures convey such a sense of wonder and joy. Great gift and one that will be appreciated for years to come ... thanks for sharing.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not if you push the right buttons...

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That's awesome, what a great gift!

My 12 year old daughter wants her own computer so bad. I told her to start saving and we would match her savings! She's not that far from a Mac Mini, so we'll wait and see what happens in January.

Of course, all of her friends got iPod Nanos for Christmas!

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Those are sweet pictures. Good for her! If she has the foresight at her age to be able to save money like that then she's well on her way to financial independence for the rest of her life.

14. Mr_Ed thread starter macrumors 6502

You are absolutely right! I thought she was just unpacking it there. As soon as she hit that power button, I had her move to a desk.

15. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Wait a minute... its not good to have you laptop on a bed? Since when? How much damage could it do? I feel so nieve to laptops right now, I always use mine on my bed and I have had it for a month.

But that would be the best christmas gift for your niece!

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I have had two powerbooks, one of them running for about 2 years now. Both were used on the bed A LOT. Just make sure the fans are not covered up by sheets and you will be fine.

Neither of my powerbooks have ever shown any overheating.

17. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

What a great gift! I am currently saving for a Powerbook, and can't wait till I can make the purchase! It is certainly an item that will last, I suspect that this iBook will last your neice through High School (but perhaps an upgrade before then).

This must have been a good december for Apple, I know a lot of people who got Nano's and the 5G iPod's for the holidays.

18. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

20. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i love that. When a new Apple computer comes into the family its like another child, but when its a PC everyone says "yeh cool now who wants some Christmas pudding?"

Im getting a new iBook for christmas as well, but i asked my folks to hold off until the 11th of January :D i just hope my waiting pays off

21. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

haha, look at the girl in the green shirts face! Shes jealous!!!! I am too. :eek:

Thats really cool!

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My cousin got me Apple in-ear headphones and I pretty much jumped up and down, as this was the first Mac related thing I have ever received for Xmas. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I got an entire Mac laptop for Xmas. :eek: Instant sensor overload, orgasm, and heart attack, followed by 2 hours of uncontrollable crying.

23. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Heck yea! That's the way to get new Apple products.
    but not in front of 200 people at the apple store like yours truly did... :eek:

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Yup. I did this twice when my first Powermac (a G4 Quicksilver) arrived from UPS. It's better than smoking after steak.