GUI Folding App: "Display Protein" can't close?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by dwaxman, Mar 1, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

I am running the GUI client on a friends computer, however everytime we "Display Protein" we can't get the window to close? This is on the OS X GUI version. Any idea what we should do?

2. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Nope you can't. The GUI versions weren't thought threw like an on/off feature.

It is like Keep on untill you relanch app and keep off untill you turn it on.

Solution: Re-Lanch app or heck why not mimize or hide?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Now, when the display is minimized or hidden does it still take up the CPU cycles that it does when maximized? I want to get optimal performance from the machine both for the user and for folding and it seems a little silly to waste cycles on a display not being viewed. Someone needs to smack them, and get them to make a dual chip supported GUI :)

4. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Okay... well If you Hide it and make sure the picture is on Alpha trace and the polygons are set to really low (in the prefs) it should take less than .6% CPU
    :D

5. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The GUI itself takes only ~5% every few seconds, and nothing at all when minimized or hidden.

6. macrumors 604

iJon

i would leave it open until you finish that wu you are working on, then switch to the terminal process, stays in the background and you can cancel it in the process viewer.

iJon

7. macrumors 68000

mc68k

yes. that is why i recommend using the terminal version. i made some scripts to simplify the process.
    My thoughts exactly. I did a little review of CLI vs. GUI a while back. here are my results.