Guide for using a Mac as a wi-fi bridge for PS2

Discussion in 'Games' started by DeSnousa, Mar 28, 2005.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Hey guys recently i posted about how to connect my PS2 to a iBook as so i could go online, it was extremly hard for me to figure it out. In the end i found out that the Mac was not the problem but the PS2.

To set up the PS2 in this way (im assuming the same for xbox) the following must be done. This is coming through the way i accomlished it;

1) Enable Internet Sharing in the Sharing preference pane of system preferences. Now believe it or not thats all you need to do on the Mac side of things.
    2) Put network access disk in playstation and do the manual configuration. It use the following address (this is assuming you have not altered the address your self) basically you have let the mac manage the numbers. Heres the steps of manual configuation.

Screen 1) SCE/Ethernet

Screen 2) Used/ID Not Required

Screen 3) IP Address: Manual

Screen 4) IP Address: 192.168.2.3
    Screen 4) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Screen 4) Default router(gateway): 192.168.2.1

Screen 5) Auto detect DNS , NO
    Screen 5) Primary DNS: 216.99.193.19
    Screen 5) Secondary DNS: 216.99.193.2

Then do the test and it should work.

PS, i used a straight through cable for this as apparently the iBook can switch between the two (I believe), but both this and a cross over should work.

Here's a link to more advanced steps to doing the above, however i found it confused me and so i took a guess and the numbers work. Good luck doing this.

http://www.ordersomewherechaos.com/rosso/articles/2005/ps2-wifi-mac/

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Where did you find out the relevant IP addresses? Is the 198 address the default address sent out by your router? And is the 216 address the IP of the PS2 server you're connecting to? Do you know whether it's the same worldwide, or are you connecting to an Australian game server? Is it the same for every game?

Questions questions!
    Simon

3. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Its the ip addresses of the ethernet that macs use as a default for networking i believe, it allows the ps2 to detect the iBook the same applies to subnet and gateway (yet again i believe)

the dns i have no idea, i tried 10's of them like my isp and random ones i found on the network prefernce.

It worked though. lol i think it should be alright.