Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgrif

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
Eugene, OR
I am trying to install Mavericks on an early 2008 Macbook 4,1. I've read a lot of this forum and it seems as if the majority of posters are discussing Mac Pros. Is there a guide here that I have just missed that pertains to Macbooks?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I am trying to install Mavericks on an early 2008 Macbook 4,1. I've read a lot of this forum and it seems as if the majority of posters are discussing Mac Pros. Is there a guide here that I have just missed that pertains to Macbooks?
You can try MacPostFactor 1.0.1.

Instructions — Installing directly on this computer
1 Make sure you have Install OS X Mavericks.app in your Application Folder
2 Select "On this computer" on the main MCPF window. Then, choose the partition you want to install Mavericks on.
3 Click install and prompt your password.
4 Click reboot. Your computer should reboot with the OSXHackers logo.
5 Once booted, Click Continue, Agree and choose the only partition showed.
6 Click reboot when you see "Installation succeeded !".
7 Enjoy!

Instructions — Installing via USB
2 Select "On an external drive" on the main MCPF window. Then, choose the disk you want to install the Yosemite installer on.
4 Click exit. Boot the computer you want to install Mavericks on with 'alt' held and select your USB drive.
5 Once booted, Click Continue, Agree and choose the partition you want to install on.
7 Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: jaysoncisme

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
You can try MacPostFactor 1.0.1.

Instructions — Installing directly on this computer
2 Select "On this computer" on the main MCPF window. Then, choose the partition you want to install Yosemite on.
4 Click reboot. Your computer should reboot with the OSXHackers logo.
5 Once booted, Click Continue, Agree and choose the only partition showed.
7 Enjoy!

Instructions — Installing via USB
2 Select "On an external drive" on the main MCPF window. Then, choose the disk you want to install the Yosemite installer on.
4 Click exit. Boot the computer you want to install Yosemite on with 'alt' held and select your USB drive.
5 Once booted, Click Continue, Agree and choose the partition you want to install on.
7 Enjoy!
Hello TMRJIJ :)

I have succeeded using your instructions and MPF 1.0.1 to install in my MB 4.1 early 2008 both ML 10.8 and Mavericks.
However Apple under software updates delivers security updates which should be installed.
However after such an update my MB 4.1 does not see neither the internal speakers nor the built-in microphone, although the hardware is of course present.
In the system panes under "sound" one reads that the MB has neither ingoing nor outgoing built-in devices!

Do you see an explanation and a solution for this serious problem since music or video sound cannot be played if one updates and security updates must be taken seriously.

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Ed

Brolow

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
Hello TMRJIJ :)

I have succeeded using your instructions and MPF 1.0.1 to install in my MB 4.1 early 2008 both ML 10.8 and Mavericks.
However Apple under software updates delivers security updates which should be installed.
However after such an update my MB 4.1 does not see neither the internal speakers nor the built-in microphone, although the hardware is of course present.
In the system panes under "sound" one reads that the MB has neither ingoing nor outgoing built-in devices!

Do you see an explanation and a solution for this serious problem since music or video sound cannot be played if one updates and security updates must be taken seriously.

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Ed

Hey! I fixed that using the recovery. Press Alt when the computer boots up and then move to "Recovery". Click the first option and then search for Rehack then wait and you will have the sound working :D (i don't remember too much, sorry) (and sorry if i misspelled something, i speak spanish :)) .
12200732_10200959684631849_238444739_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Riwam

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hey! I fixed that using the recovery. Press Alt when the computer boots up and then move to "Recovery". Click the first option and then search for Rehack then wait and you will have the sound working :D (i don't remember too much, sorry) (and sorry if i misspelled something, i speak spanish :)) .
12200732_10200959684631849_238444739_n.jpg

***********++
Thank you very very very much! :) !!!!
Muy amable de responderme a pesar de haber preguntado a otro.
Yo también como se ve hablo castellano.
(Nací en el Uruguay ;) )
Espero que funcione así con esa manera de repetir el proceso de modificación.
Ni ignorar las actualizaciones de seguridad de Apple ni no tener mas el sonido eran opciones aceptables, así que voy a seguir el muy muy amable consejo.
Nuevamente muchísimas gracias :D !!!!!
Edmundo

sany72

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
Dubai
Hi

I have the Macbook pro 2.2 and currently running Mountain Lion (installed using a hack from this forum) and had been waiting patiently for a hack from here to install Maverick on my machine. Do we have a fully functional solution, as I saw somewhere in this thread about graphic acceleration not working so I am confused - whether this is sorted now. Can anyone point me to the final link that I should follow and also since I already have the hacked machine for Mountain Lion do I need to do some ground work before I start to install the Maverick hack?
Please help. This is my last hope and my machine is not as fast as it used to be once in the old Tiger OS.

thanks

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi

I have the Macbook pro 2.2 and currently running Mountain Lion (installed using a hack from this forum) and had been waiting patiently for a hack from here to install Maverick on my machine. Do we have a fully functional solution, as I saw somewhere in this thread about graphic acceleration not working so I am confused - whether this is sorted now. Can anyone point me to the final link that I should follow and also since I already have the hacked machine for Mountain Lion do I need to do some ground work before I start to install the Maverick hack?
Please help. This is my last hope and my machine is not as fast as it used to be once in the old Tiger OS.

thanks
According to the developers, the new version 2 of MacPostFactor (MCPF) should come before Christmas to the OSX Hackers.net download site.

I succeeded with the first version MCPF 1.0.1 in my old MacBook (not Pro!) early 2008 (MB4.1) to get first Mountain Lion and in a second following step Mavericks.
However it is true that Graphic Acceleration is not implemented, but still the overall looks is in my modest opinion acceptable and one can use it. :)
I did not succeed with Yosemite :oops: apparently possible as well and installed with the same tool by other users according to their posts.

I am now waiting for that MCPF 2 and will try again to install in that old Mac what might be possible.

I am perfectly aware that a 7-8 years old Mac will always be an old computer.
Miracles belong to religion, not to technics.
o_O
Ed

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I have the Macbook pro 2.2 and currently running Mountain Lion (installed using a hack from this forum) and had been waiting patiently for a hack from here to install Maverick on my machine. Do we have a fully functional solution, as I saw somewhere in this thread about graphic acceleration not working so I am confused - whether this is sorted now.

For the MBP2,2 10.8 Mountain Lion is at the moment the last version with full graphics acceleration and it's questionable if there will be a solution for the successors - 2 years now since a solution has been promised. It's better to install 10.10 Yosemite than 10.9 Mavericks on the MBP2,2 - see this Post. Maybe a dual-boot environment 10.6 Snow Leopard (PowerPC emulation) or 10.8 Mountain Lion (fully working) combined with 10.10 Yosemite (latest security updates) could be a good solution. OSX 10.11 El Capitan barely works at the moment on the MBP2,2.

Last edited:

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi

thanks
You no doubt know it but it doesn't harm to repeat it.
Before you try anything unknown always make a booting clone of your hard drive!
By doing so you can at least restore your working system to the previous condition...if your efforts fail.
Time Machine backups are also higly recommended.
If you make both, a booting clone and a Time Machine backup you should be on the safe side for most of the possible dangerous issues of trlying anything with unknown results. :)

Sorry to insist on obvious things but I had bitter experiences when did not take those safety measures. :(
Good luck!
Ed

darkelfdvr

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
Hello guys.
I had successfully put Mavericks 10.9.3. on my old mac pro 1.1, via MCPF (with upgraded CPU's and an ATI 4870 flashed from PC to Mac) all was smooth till.. i installed an update of the Access Virus TI (a synth i have) then the system asked me to restart, and Mavericks couldn't load EVER again.. all i was getting was the 'Mac osx hackers' bootscreen.. annoying.
On the other hand i left on another hard disk the Lion osx, which via alt key boots normally when i select it.
I tried to use the recovery to re-hack Mavericks.. nothing.. Repaired permissions, nothing.. install over it.. nothing. Always the same issue, this bootscreen showing and the hard disk not even sounding like it boots...
Then i tried a clean install, meaning i entered Lion, formatted the mav partition, installed again via MCPF, and it seemed ok, booted, started the registration/country thing. So i said ok back on track.. Then, i used as it asks on the startup a Time Machine backup i did, because i wanted to restore all the audio plugs i have in the system in order to work on music projects directly.
Rebooted and again stuck on bootscreen when trying to enter Mavericks, but this time just the grey background, the Apple and the small circle moving.. while the hard disk seems to be working, making some sounds.

Anybody had the same issue? any workaround except a total clean install, so i could maybe have the exact same system like before? an upgrade process to Yosemite maybe?

Any advices are appreciated, thanks a lot in advance and sorry to bug..

Dimitri

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hello guys.
I had successfully put Mavericks 10.9.3. on my old mac pro 1.1, via MCPF (with upgraded CPU's and an ATI 4870 flashed from PC to Mac) all was smooth till.. i installed an update of the Access Virus TI (a synth i have) then the system asked me to restart, and Mavericks couldn't load EVER again.. all i was getting was the 'Mac osx hackers' bootscreen.. annoying.
On the other hand i left on another hard disk the Lion osx, which via alt key boots normally when i select it.
I tried to use the recovery to re-hack Mavericks.. nothing.. Repaired permissions, nothing.. install over it.. nothing. Always the same issue, this bootscreen showing and the hard disk not even sounding like it boots...
Then i tried a clean install, meaning i entered Lion, formatted the mav partition, installed again via MCPF, and it seemed ok, booted, started the registration/country thing. So i said ok back on track.. Then, i used as it asks on the startup a Time Machine backup i did, because i wanted to restore all the audio plugs i have in the system in order to work on music projects directly.
Rebooted and again stuck on bootscreen when trying to enter Mavericks, but this time just the grey background, the Apple and the small circle moving.. while the hard disk seems to be working, making some sounds.

Anybody had the same issue? any workaround except a total clean install, so i could maybe have the exact same system like before? an upgrade process to Yosemite maybe?

Any advices are appreciated, thanks a lot in advance and sorry to bug..

Dimitri
If Mavericks doesn't work then why should in your opinion Yosemite solve your problems, assuming you can install it...
There is a special thread in this forum for MacPros running unsupported newer OSX moderated by a guy named Mr Zarniwoop.
Maybe you should explain there your situation among people with the same Mac you have.
The hardware plays a great role as far as I saw.
For my MacBook 4.1 early 2008, for instance, MCPF did not even suggest Yosemite as a possibility, it was grayed out.
Ed

darkelfdvr

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
well i don't know, via mcpf no change maybe there is another installation process that could use different bootloaders.. anyway i'm no pro in this, but i wanna use mavericks or a 64bit os.. and have it working everytime i .. restart :p
thanks for your input i'll search for that specific thread.

Argiolus

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Hi, the very best, hassle-free way I have found to get Mavericks working on a Mac Pro 1,1 is using the Tiamo boot.efi method. All it essentially does is to replace a particular system file, the boot.efi, in two locations and then it works! My Mac pro 1,1 ran Mavericks with no issues and with great performance for a long time. I note that you have a Lion installation on your machine so it should be no problem if you follow the instructions carefully with a clean install. Details at: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-2-1-and-os-x-mavericks.1598176/page-2#post-18411621

Also, I have now upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.5 on my Mac Pro 1,1 using a similar method but with the Pike boot.efi. Again, it works perfectly and reliably — it's what I'm using to type this right now. Take a look at
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-yosemite.1740775/

And, I also have another partition with El Capitan working great too, again using another update to this method. So, you can take your pick of OS X versions, just make sure you use the right instructions and downloads for each one.

darkelfdvr

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
hi again. and today suddenly even the lion partition wasn't booting. i really don't get it.
so i tried running in safe mode for both lion and mavericks, without any result. I accessed the recovery menu of MCPF, and did a clean install of mavericks, it worked. Got in, installed the combo update 10.9.5., problem at the boot. rehacked via the recovery menu, all cool. To see that is the Access Virus, reinstalled directly its software suite, rebooted and... osx hackers boot logo again. So seems its interfering indeed.. how weird. Then rehacked again and now i'm inside mavericks while yesterday after the virus update the rehack didn't work. Anyway, i'm gonna try restore apps from Time Machine backup, and see what happens. If some problem re-occur ill try the tiamo method. Now i hope at some point i can also re-enter the initial system in Lion.
Thanks for your replies guys. Cheers.

solarix1578

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
Hello friends! I have an iMac 24" 2006 (white iMac 6,1) and I have installed Mavericks 10.9.5 with Macpostfactor 1.0.1, everything work correctly "out of the box"! My problem is only for the nvidia 7600gt graphics driver... anyone have a solution? Thanks for help me!

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Hello,

I have a Late 06 iMac that disaplys the Question Mark/Folder upon booting. Never goes to desktop nor do any commands work to enter repair or boot from USB. I have OSX Mavericks.dmg and a 16GB flash drive (mac journaled), but don't know how to make it bootable to show up when pressing C (after apple chime). Is it possible to make a install usb flash drive of OSX Mavericks if I can't even boot into the iMac?

Edit: I guess I need a recent Mac with app store, etc to create a bootable/install flash drive. Is it possible to burn the Mavericks DMG to multiple CDs as I only have DVD-R discs and the DMG is ~5.3GB (single layer DVD is 4.7GB)

solarix1578

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
Hi friend, do you have a Lion disc recovery? If yes, boot your iMac and reinstall the operating system. I installed Mavericks with macpostfactor and work perfect "out of the box" on my white iMac 2006, but the nvidia geforce 7600gt driver it's not supported.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Hi friend, do you have a Lion disc recovery? If yes, boot your iMac and reinstall the operating system. I installed Mavericks with macpostfactor and work perfect "out of the box" on my white iMac 2006, but the nvidia geforce 7600gt driver it's not supported.

Hi can you outline the steps involved for doing this on a 2006 iMac? I think my biggest hurdle is not having a means of creating a usb flash drive boot image due to no recent Mac computer to create it, nor any install DVD. I do have the dmg but can't figure out how to make it bootable one way or another. I did buy some dual layer dvds to see if I can burn the image that way.

Lastly, I bought a cheap ssd because I think the internal hard drive is bad. No boot keyboard command detects it or recovery partition that I've noticed. I tried doing the reinstall where it detects the hard drives but I get a blank white screen with just the mouse cursor. All other commands are the flashing folder with question mark and I also reset the system setting memory thing

solarix1578

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
Hi, if you have another mac, buy a DVD DL and search on web a 10.7.x (Lion) version, put the ISO or DMG on it and reinstall the O.S. (Boot the iMac with the DVD).

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I'll try that. I did dremel a venting hole on the bottom where the CPU/GPU heatsink is (roughly speaking) so hopefully that helps with the possibility of overheating.
[doublepost=1458958370][/doublepost]

It's kind of a rough hole I made, but I wanted to make it as close proximity to the heatsink area as possible. I do plan on putting a fan that sucks the air outward and a fan also by the intake fan behind the stand. I also have to find a mesh covering so that the hole isn't completely open to more debris. See photo for reference.

This picture just hows the orientation of the hole I created in relation to the logic board and heatsink.

Edit: and the HDD area is empty because i'm swapping it for a SSD.

Last edited:

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Sooo I installed an SSD and nothing is being detected when I hold down "C" key during boot. I managed to burn a copy of 10.7.3 Lion and nothing loads. I put the same files on a 16GB USB Flash Drive and it doesn't show up on the startup menu. Only the mouse cursor on a white background.

All other startup commands yield a folder/question mark icon that flashes continuously.

Last edited:

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
Just installed Mavericks on an old MacBook I have, all went ok but when it's finished the wifi doesn't work, anyone any ideas how to fix?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Update:

Able to boot into a OSX installation menu but then it says "This OS cannot be installed on your Mac". But at least I know that the display and everything else appears to be working. The thing I missed which is quite stupid from the very beginning is when going through Disk Utility, I forgot to go through the Option menu to select GUID Partition Table and always had Master Boot Record selected. After those two were switched around, holding Option key on startup finally showed the USB drive with the dmg image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.