Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
But...

Is there a way to let other windows-users access my shared files only?

I do not want to give away the password of my account, and I do not want them to be able to see all my files. So is there an easier way to do it than to make a profile called "windows" or something, with the password "windows", and let people log on to that one? (Then they can navigate to my shared folders, but it is kind of a clumsy way...)

Great guide btw. :)

kajax101

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2004
Hey good idea man...

mnkeybsness said:
YAY!... perhaps we could start a simple site that gives step by step instructions for a lot of these frequently asked questions. I know it would help out a lot of people, especially those who don't like joining forums for whatever reason they have.

I know I'd be in to help with some write-ups.

PS: edesignuk: nice job, very thorough and easy to follow.

This is a great idea, I do webdesign myself, and I think a website listing some comprehensive and up-to-date information might be very useful.

We could get people to contribute their advice and pointers.

Would you be up for it?

-Thanks

pilzbury

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
Reading, Pa
OX 10.3.x and Win98(SE)

mms said:
Just wondering, is there a way to network Win98 with Panther? And what about networking Windows with Jaguar?

I'm sure there are still some people out there with older systems with that question. I can't try it out because I don't have a single PC in the house :).

Hey there. I have a Win98 machine setup as well as my iBook and have successfully networked the too. 10.3.2 I have had some buggy issues, but hopefully its been fixed in 10.3.3. Basically you want to setup Windows sharing on your mac. Then in the finder go to Network. At this point whatever your win network groups name is will show up as a folder under network. Clicking on that folder will bring up the machines names that is uses. Click on the machine you want to connect to and click connect. SMB Mount (10.3.3) will appear and select the drive that you want to mount. Click ok. (10.3.3 & 10.3.2) When SMB/CIFS Filesystem Authentication comes up just his ok. This should mount the drive. Thus you can connect to the Win98 machine. I have done this a # of times. Should work as far as I know. Sorry if it doesn't.

ianjs

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2004
OS x and Server2003

Great guide edsignuk, thanks for that.

I have a problem I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

I'm using OS X 10.3.3 and Quark 6.1. All my Quark pages are saved on a shared volume on a server running Windows Server 2003.
I can get network access to all the pages with no problems but when I make a change to a page and 'apple + s' to save, the page renames itself (eg. qxp123456789012.qxp) on the server and throws up a 'file not found (-43)' error.
Very annoying. Can anyone help? I'm positive it's a network issue because if we share pages from a mac (instead of sharing from the 2003 server) everything is fine.

Thanks.

guzinta

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2004
OSX and XP Printer Sharing

hi all... first post here. I'm new to macs but now have a g4 powerbook....love it! I also have an XP machine with a couple of printers attached. I'm networked with a Netgear router and connect fine with each machine on the internet. I'd let to send print jobs to the XP machine from the powerbook. Does antone have an apporximate proceedure? Thanks in advance...

Fall

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2002
Bad News Sportsfans...

It don't work!

I'm trying to connect to our Win2000 machine at work, and it just won't go, it can't find me and I can't find it!

The PC comes up in the "Connect to Server > Browse" thing, but I cannot connect through their, nor the SMB...IP address thing.

The Win2000 machines are currently running an older version of ExtremeZ-IP to allow connecting to the OS9 machines, could this be interferring with my OSX machine?

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
guzinta said:
hi all... first post here. I'm new to macs but now have a g4 powerbook....love it! I also have an XP machine with a couple of printers attached. I'm networked with a Netgear router and connect fine with each machine on the internet. I'd let to send print jobs to the XP machine from the powerbook. Does antone have an apporximate proceedure? Thanks in advance...

open up print and fax preferences, click on set up my printers, then add printer, then like windows printing or something? anyway, then itll bring up a list of workgroups, select the right one, then your computer and then you printer.... specify the correct driver below and then finish it. this is very appx cuz i dont have my pb with me so ne one feel free to correct me.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Calebj14 said:
you can also look it up in network preferences....
:D

No IP address appears and when i try and do it through the terminal i get "get if addr enO failed, (os/kern) failure.

I have no idea what this means, something to do with the ethernet card not installed properly or something?

Could someone help me out here? Thanks :)

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
AHHH i'm still having a lot of trouble connecting to my windows pc on my mac using smb...i'm constantly getting -36 errors. I've read all over about this error but no one has ever seemed to solve it. I know they see each other fine because i used the ping tool and that worked good. My pc can access my mac fine because rendezvous was working good on the pc side only. Does anyone have any good suggestions of what i may be doing wrong when connecting to the server. Does it matter where the shared folder is on the windows pc...i've tried tons of different ones but i always get the same error. ahhh please help :confused: thanks

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Does your Windows PC have an account setup with a password. AFAIK it is VERY important that the account has a password. This was always a problem with Win9* connecting to NT server file shares, could be the same here.

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Well it didn't before until I started reading about error -36 so I added one but it didn't seem to help.

ljsimms@buffalo

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2004
So... what happens when the standard Mac-PC instructions do not work...

I am having no luck setting up windows file sharing on my G5 running 10.3.3 so that a Windows XP machine in my lab can access it. I've turned Windows file sharing on, set the appropriate privileges, and set the proper windows workgroup in Directory Access. SMB is also turned on in Directory Access. Despite all of this, every time I try to connect to the G5 from the XP machine using the standard procedures (i.e., "\\computer\shortname", I get something like "Network Drive Cannot be Found...."

I have tried going into the the smb.conf file directly and also using SharePoints to create a new share, all to no avail. Interestingly, I also cannot ftp into my G5, despite having that also tuned on in the sharing panel. AFP works fine though between the g5 and other macs in the lab.

I have also tried repairing privileges and repairing the drive. Did not fix the problem.

Firewall is turned off.

Interestingly, I can connect from the xp to another iMac in the lab (running jaguar), but not my G5. This makes me wonder whether I have a hidden configuration problem on my G5?

Any ideas about what might be going awry here or things I could try? I'm really pulling my hair out.

Thanks.

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
If your running a Windows server with NetBIOS turned off you will need to open port 445 on your OS X firewall also.

Handy to know Rendezvous Ports that need to be open for app sharing on your firewall:
iChat: 5297, 5298
iTunes: 3689
iPhoto: 8770
SubEthaEdit v1.x: 30729
SubEthaEdit v2.0: 6942-6951 ("Six times nine is fourtytwo")

adam1185

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
uhhh so how deos one go about opening ports on the firewall. i'm just using a hardware firewall...my linksys router

thanks

Threnody

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2004
Ottawa
A little too easy?

Thanks for the instructions, but it seems that when my Windows XP machine connects to my OS X machine, there's no password prompt! It can grab files and everything. I have a password on my OS X user account, so what's the deal? I don't want this stuff available for everyone, since I'm using Wi-Fi here.

Thanks!
Adam

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Threnody said:
Thanks for the instructions, but it seems that when my Windows XP machine connects to my OS X machine, there's no password prompt! It can grab files and everything. I have a password on my OS X user account, so what's the deal? I don't want this stuff available for everyone, since I'm using Wi-Fi here.

Thanks!
Adam
Do you have the same username and password setup for the accounts in Windows XP and OS X? If so this will be why.

Threnody

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2004
Ottawa
edesignuk said:
Do you have the same username and password setup for the accounts in Windows XP and OS X? If so this will be why.

As a matter of fact I do! I didn't think OS X and XP would be smart enough to exchange credentials.

Thanks a lot.

orion_skm

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2004
Great info.., but i have a problem

I'm a newbie to this site and to Mac in general.

Great info, this will come in handy. I am having a problem with a G4 machine. It is connected to a network and is using a Windows machine as a proxy to the internet. I'm using AnalogX as the proxy.

The problem is that the G4 cannot access any ftp sites even though i have on the ftp configuration on the G4 and in AnalogX. The windows machine access the ftp sites without any problems.

Any ideas as to what i can try..? :confused:

switcher22

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2003
Winnipeg, MB
Windows Server 2003 issues

Great posting - I was able to get my Mac onto a Win Server 2003 network no problem as a result.

One question though - what is the impact on network security of disabling the "Microsoft network server:...."?

Also, when I used this method I am only able to mount shared volumes on the PC's - is there a way that you know of where it would be possible to log on to the server's file system more direclty so that can navigate through the as much of its file system as your specific user name is allowed to?

Thanks.

Kno

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2004
Santiago of Chile
Similar Prob...

Hi everyone, I come to this forum looking for help, and I've hope that you can do it :D

I've a Macintosh G4 350Mhz, etc with Panther and a Pecee with Xp professional, both computers works fine but in the networking is the prob... both computers are attached to a swich and shared internet connection in the swich with a ADSL Modem (Arescom NetDSL 1000) how provide like a router and make the adress to both computers.

So the problem is when in try to share the computers the Windows doen't have a problem to see and connect to the mac, but when I try to make the same with the mac it asking for a login and password and dont work... I try all the things in this topic but no one can make a difference.

I try installing the Dave and the same prob... try to put the same login and pass for windows and mac, but dont work.

The only difference when I try to login with or without dave is when I dont use dave my mac says wrong pass or login, and dave says can't resolve the network.

Both computers are in the same workgroup and when I make a ping from one to other, there are no problem... what can I do?

Thankz a lot

pd. sorry my terrible english :rolleyes:

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Great guide, thank you. Got me up and running in no time flat. Three things for Windows XP users.

1. Most users don't set a default local password on their main account. If you do so (as per this guide) you'll have to login every time you start your machine. For home users, a bit annoying.

2. If you use the XP Networking Wizard to setup local file sharing (you can, it works great) be aware that XP turns on its firewall *by default*. This can cause problems.

3. After setting your system up, reboot. It sounds silly but this was the last step I had to do to get this to work.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
After printing this thread out twice and waiting for over a month to really get at it, I finally got it! :D :D :D I have a small LAN at work with 2 G3's running OS 9.2.2, a UMAX S900 clone running 8.6, 2 PCs running Win2K, and our PLatesetter RIP on a PC running WinNT4.0 Since there was no real "server" in the group and all were just connected via ethernet I was having a really hard time getting one of my G3s (now running Panther 10.3.4) to connect to anything :eek: Today I took a print out of this thread and walked around the shop getting all the info I needed (ip's, workgroups, user names, etc.) and after a few hours was able to "see" the PCs and Macs without the use of smoke and mirrors :cool: One of the G3's on 9.2.2 sits as a "Customer File Server" and the Clone is only used when we have way too much work and the receptionist has to come up front and help get out Letterheads and Business cards. ;)

Now I have this last question; How can I make the "images" of my RIP and "server" automatically mount each time I start up? Would it require a script in the start up prefs or is there an easier way? :confused:

PS. after much searching and researching I found this thread to be the most helpful to my networking solutions, but could you include WinNT also? It doesn't have the same "interface" as does 2K or XP Thank You, Thank You, Thank You :D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.