Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
thank you, it worked! but i am having some trouble with the installation screen

i'm given the option to install on macintosh hd, net, or home. which one do i select?

Also, On the next screen, I get a message that says "Sorry, but that link has been deleted." and it tells me to "skip ad" although I do not see this button.

I tried pressing cmd + left arrow but nothing happens besides a strange ad that pops up.

thank you friend :)

It depends on where your creating the installer. I created mine on an external USB drive so thats what i chose. It want let you create the install on your main hd it has to be either an external hd / partition or a usb drive.

The ad screen thing is a bug just keep trying and you'll eventually get past it a create the installer.

cheers

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
It depends on where your creating the installer. I created mine on an external USB drive so thats what i chose. It want let you create the install on your main hd it has to be either an external hd / partition or a usb drive.

The ad screen thing is a bug just keep trying and you'll eventually get past it a create the installer.

cheers

7QOjKKc.jpg

Hi Sumer,

This is the screen I see. There is an advertisement that I can exit out of but then it says "link has been deleted".

I'm not sure how to get past this screen. Is this what you see too?

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto

Hi Sumer,

This is the screen I see. There is an advertisement that I can exit out of but then it says "link has been deleted".

I'm not sure how to get past this screen. Is this what you see too?

I remember seeing something similar but it still created the installer. How long have you waited before you quit?

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I remember seeing something similar but it still created the installer. How long have you waited before you quit?

over 20 minutes and the installer is at the same position and still says 'waiting on me to skip ad'

I'm not sure what else to click. I've opened and close macpostfactor multiple times to see if anything changes but no luck.

Last edited:

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
over 20 minutes and the installer is at the same position and still says 'waiting on me to skip ad'

yeah that sounds about normal. Some others in this thread had the same issue. just keep trying. The only other thing that might be the issue is the way you unzipped the installer. Try and use something like keika or the archiver instead of the built in apple utility.

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
yeah that sounds about normal. Some others in this thread had the same issue. just keep trying. The only other thing that might be the issue is the way you unzipped the installer. Try and use something like keika or the archiver instead of the built in apple utility.

so waiting 20 minutes is normal? I'll give the keika program a try, thank you for the suggestions sumer :)

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
so waiting 20 minutes is normal? I'll give the keika program a try, thank you for the suggestions sumer :)

Normal in the sense that others had the same problem. it happened to me when i was on my unsupported mac but on my laptop using Yosemite things worked out fine. Sometimes people get a bad download or the file didn't unzip properly it's happened to me with other apps.

Cheers

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Normal in the sense that others had the same problem. it happened to me when i was on my unsupported mac but on my laptop using Yosemite things worked out fine. Sometimes people get a bad download or the file didn't unzip properly it's happened to me with other apps.

Cheers

I decided to stick with mlpostfactor and everything went great. thank you for your help :)

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
I decided to stick with mlpostfactor and everything went great. thank you for your help :)

Thats great to hear:)

Just so you know that there is an issue with file sharing with MLPF. Also you'll have to call apple to unblock message- tell them your still running lion when they ask your OS-lol

Lastly i'd stay away from the apple security update. it may cause a boot loop but you'll need to search this thread on that.

Cheers

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
It is getting interesting with all of the recent security flaws coming out NTP, Freak, and the new root escalation vulnerability while running these unsupported configurations. I am not seeing any way to easily install the security updates without making the ML installation unusable as it is set up by MLPostfactor. I don't know if it would be any different with a MacPostFactor install, I haven't had any luck getting past the adfly screen. A couple of them may not be as big of a concern considering Mac users are not typically the biggest targets out there. But the freak flaw hits any non updated browser. I hope MacPostFactor either way comes up with an update to fix the ad screen bug, and see if their new open cl/gl frameworks turn out for Yosemite.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
It is getting interesting with all of the recent security flaws coming out NTP, Freak, and the new root escalation vulnerability while running these unsupported configurations. I am not seeing any way to easily install the security updates without making the ML installation unusable as it is set up by MLPostfactor. I don't know if it would be any different with a MacPostFactor install, I haven't had any luck getting past the adfly screen. A couple of them may not be as big of a concern considering Mac users are not typically the biggest targets out there. But the freak flaw hits any non updated browser. I hope MacPostFactor either way comes up with an update to fix the ad screen bug, and see if their new open cl/gl frameworks turn out for Yosemite.

In the Yosemite thread I asked about the Macpostfactor as the creator of OSXpatcher and OSXextrator runs that thread. I asked it the previous mentioned apps are replacements for MPF. He told me that he is testing out a new beta (this was last week) so hopefully something should turn up soon.

AS for the adfly bug it's very strange because a few hours ago I created a mavericks installer for my mac pro (I got an upgraded video card) Was on my laptop running Yosemite with no internet connection and everything went fine. It basically asked for my password and created the installer. previously when I was on lion and ML I was having a hard time. It kept getting stuck on that ad screen.

I'll try the security update wilh MPF on a spare drive and report back. The 10.8.5 supplemental update is fine tho as far as MPF is concerned not sure about MLPF but it should be the same. I believe the issue with the security update is it installs new graphics drivers as well-not 100% sure tho.

cheers

snahfu

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
In the Yosemite thread I asked about the Macpostfactor as the creator of OSXpatcher and OSXextrator runs that thread. I asked it the previous mentioned apps are replacements for MPF. He told me that he is testing out a new beta (this was last week) so hopefully something should turn up soon.

AS for the adfly bug it's very strange because a few hours ago I created a mavericks installer for my mac pro (I got an upgraded video card) Was on my laptop running Yosemite with no internet connection and everything went fine. It basically asked for my password and created the installer. previously when I was on lion and ML I was having a hard time. It kept getting stuck on that ad screen.

I'll try the security update wilh MPF on a spare drive and report back. The 10.8.5 supplemental update is fine tho as far as MPF is concerned not sure about MLPF but it should be the same. I believe the issue with the security update is it installs new graphics drivers as well-not 100% sure tho.

cheers

off topic but could you help me answer 1 last question.

I would like to clone my imac hard drive to a ssd. I current have 3 partitions, macintosh HD, osx mountain lion, and installer.

If I just copy the osx mountain lion partition, would the ssd boot smoothly, or are there vital files in the macintosh HD / installer partition that are essential, therefore, I would have to copy all 3 partitions.

Thank you!

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
off topic but could you help me answer 1 last question.

I would like to clone my imac hard drive to a ssd. I current have 3 partitions, macintosh HD, osx mountain lion, and installer.

If I just copy the osx mountain lion partition, would the ssd boot smoothly, or are there vital files in the macintosh HD / installer partition that are essential, therefore, I would have to copy all 3 partitions.

Thank you!

You need software like CCC (copy carbon cloner) or super duper. Even Apple's disk utility can do it. I personally use Drive Genius. They all basically do the same thing which is make a bootable clone of your start up disk or clone all the files of a Volume or partition. CCC has free version the rest are paid but can be "found" if you look for them.

So you can't just copy files from your boot drive to another drive as there are hidden files and the drive will not be bootable. if it's just a regular drive with files that's not a problem.

BTW when I used MLPF I only had 2 partitions the installer- which is basically recovery and the Machintosh HD. I know your supposed to make 3 but I always break the rules-lol

Cheers

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Any way to get rid of the Get OS X Yosemite Free notification? It keeps coming up and drives me nuts. I already have Yosemite on another partition. However without graphics acceleration it is not a full solution for me on this Mac.

lagusunr

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
Hello everyone, and thank you for awesome work for the developers of this hack. With the instructions of this thread I was able to install ML to my old macbook 4.1. I was also able to update until 10.8.5, with some help of youtube (with update/apply MLpostfactor trick). However, it seems that latest security update 2015-004 doesn't install, no matter what I do, and always gives "unexpected error" at end of update. Anyone tried to solve this yet? Also the WPA2 connections doesn't seem to work for some reason. Any clues on this? Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, realized about macpostfactor. However, cannot get past ad-screen as earlier poster. Hopefully this project advances. Would be great to have some years for my old mac more.

Last edited:

didedrup

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
stuck! on install on a 2005 macbook pro. running 10.7.5

hello forum, first of all i want to say thank hackerwayne for the mlpostfactor app on mac. its a pretty cool programm. so sad that i´m actually stuck with my mac, and hope everybody can help me out solving my small problem.

hardware: macbook pro 2.2 (2006 model)
software: running os x 10.7.5 and i want to upgrade to 10.8.

well i did every procedure was given in the guide. im actually stuck on point 6. after MLPF Tool is completed, hold down "Option" and reboot into "Install" partition. yeah but unfortunately theres no "install" and no "mountain lion" partition at all. only system and system recovery. anybody do have a clue whats the problem?

many thanks in advance and kind regards
didedrup

liemkmai

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Portland, OR
You may have to start over and try creating your install partition(or USB) again. Make sure you have a true "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" in the Applications folder.

didedrup

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
You may have to start over and try creating your install partition(or USB) again. Make sure you have a true "Install OS X Mountain Lion.app" in the Applications folder.

i did this too. its not working. well i´ve the original app installed on drive c

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
i did this too. its not working. well i´ve the original app installed on drive c

Drive C?

The app must be in your applications folder where MLPF is. Make sure the Install partition and the ML partition are GUID formatted osx extended (journaled)

didedrup

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
Have a look at Post #3741 - this alternative method works well on a MBP2,2.

this sounds great. i´m in. i´ve downloaded the SFOTT.app, and it´s open now. but there are a lot of possible selections in the main menue and the "how to" listed here http://oemden.com/sixty-four-on-thirty-two-sfott/privatetest/
has space for too many possibilities. can someboy post a simple and short how to selection and the second question is. how should i apply the "graphics & audio" patches. in the new created directory? (in my case on the usb stick)?

----------

Drive C?

The app must be in your applications folder where MLPF is. Make sure the Install partition and the ML partition are GUID formatted osx extended (journaled)

sorry, application folder of course. MLPF and ML.app are already in.

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
this sounds great. i´m in. i´ve downloaded the SFOTT.app, and it´s open now. but there are a lot of possible selections in the main menue and the "how to" listed here http://oemden.com/sixty-four-on-thirty-two-sfott/privatetest/
has space for too many possibilities. can someboy post a simple and short how to selection and the second question is. how should i apply the "graphics & audio" patches. in the new created directory? (in my case on the usb stick)?

----------

sorry, application folder of course. MLPF and ML.app are already in.

This Vid will help -just follow it. instead of mavericks just choose ML or Yosemite. BTW he also has one for Yosemite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eYF1XP11HI

sumer

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Toronto
great! ok i will. one more question. are maverics on macbook pro 2.2 already possible with SFOTT.app method?

I'm not sure. I can Run ML no problem with my stock card with my Mac pro 1.1. I can also install mavericks (sfott and MCPF) and Yosemite with SFOTT but it doesn't run properly. I have no graphics acceleration, so no dvd player and no video. I just got an updated Video card so now things run like butter.

You may need to try the macbook section for more details.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1659437/

didedrup

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
I'm not sure. I can Run ML no problem with my stock card with my Mac pro 1.1. I can also install mavericks (sfott and MCPF) and Yosemite with SFOTT but it doesn't run properly. I have no graphics acceleration, so no dvd player and no video. I just got an updated Video card so now things run like butter.

You may need to try the macbook section for more details.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1659437/

the video helps a lot many thanks for letting me know :)
i did everything whats shown in the video, and after the successfully installation i closed the app. so far so good. after restart its shown up in the selection menue. so happy. but what about the Graphics & Audio, framework files from the 10.8.5 folder? do i still need them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.