Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RADHAD

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2015
Any idea how to install the latest security update 2015-005? It always fails. I've tried both ways (App Store and Combo) without success. :(

iMac late 2006
GeForce 7600 GT
Intel C2D 2,16 GHz
3 GB Ram

OS X 10.8.5 via MLPF
Hi !

i got it working on macbook late 2006 :)

only what i did install every updates and reboot macbook to finish the update.

than you get a error white thing ? if you do reboot your mac hold the alt button on your keyboard than you can see your recovery partition switch to it than it will boot the recovery and search for the term RE HACK OSX than push that button and than reboot and than

Tadaaaa its works !

Note to the dev !

Samba (SMB) is not loading on osx 10.8.5

Last edited:

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
this has probably been asked loads of times but i have tried so many solutions and still can't get it to work, is there anyway to get iMessage and FaceTime working? thanks

ebkesq

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
this has probably been asked loads of times but i have tried so many solutions and still can't get it to work, is there anyway to get iMessage and FaceTime working? thanks

You have to call Apple and give them your S/N and they will re-enable it for you at their servers.

jon8214

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Belfast, NI
Does that work do ML too I'd seen about it for Yosemite. Thanks
Just spend the best part of an hour on the phone to apple they have said they need to send it to their engineering team, i know I've done it before with a yosemite installation and got it done straight away with the code that yosemite gives you, anyone have any further ideas on how to get this working? many thanks

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
OK, as to installing the (currently) final security update for Mountain Lion, I figured out how to do it IF you have access to a newer system which supports Mountain Lion directly. I know it doesn't help if you have no access to such as system, but most people surely can find a friend with one I would hope:

0) Make sure you have a backup. Make sure you have a clone, clone of your own. Really. Otherwise you might panic, and you don't want to do that.

0.5) Install your Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses.

1) Make sure you have your customized ML installer ready and working for the destination machine model in question.

2) Using an external drive hooked to a machine natively running ML, boot into the recovery partition (or otherwise use the method of your choice) and install ML.

3) Boot the newer Apple-Supported machine into ML on the external drive and, if you wish, use migration assistant to migrate your data etc. etc.

4) Fully update that installation of ML, using the Apple-supported model the entire time.

5) Once you are satisfied everything in fully updated (including the latest security update) looks good, hook that drive up to your older unsupported system and boot from your hacked ML installer.

6) Install the files as instructed by ML/MacPostFactor onto the external drive. If everything goes properly you will have a fully-functional and fully-updated system at this point, but a plist tells the system you are on 10.8.4. This is incorrect and you can find instructions back in this thread somewhere for correcting that if you wish. It's a simple plist replacement IIRC.

7) Once you are satisfied everything is correct, you can then clone (using CCC, or whatever you prefer) that external drive back to the internal drive on the destination machine. (Remember, you followed step 0, in case something goes wrong.)

This has worked reliably for me across a few models. It was important, in our case, that we get that security update in place since it's a networked school environment and I'm twitchy about not having the latest security updates...

Hope that helps a few of you.

Last edited:

10tacleBoy

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
Hi !

i got it working on macbook late 2006 :)

only what i did install every updates and reboot macbook to finish the update.

than you get a error white thing ?
Thanks for your reply.

As I said I've tried both updating via combo and App Store and either way it says something like 'error while installing the update'.
And then in both cases the Mac won't boot anymore until I re-apply MLPF via EFI Boot to get it right again.

Absolutely no chance here.

So I was wondering if there's a workaround for that, but I guess not. Except panjandrum's method, but I don't have another ML capable Mac.

yoli

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
Hi, I would like to jump on ML on a Macbook 2,1, but does it have any hardware, OS X or update issues? I couldn't find any recent info about this.
Hey guys! Is there anyone, who can share his/her experiences about this?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Bump. Can anyone help me out?
Instructions — Installing via USB
1 Make sure you have Install OS X Mountain Lion.app in your Application Folder
2 Select "On an external drive" on the main MCPF window. Then, choose the disk you want to install the Yosemite installer on.
3 Click install and prompt your password.
4 Click exit. Boot the computer you want to install Yosemite on with 'alt' held and select your USB drive.
5 Once booted, Click Continue, Agree and choose the partition you want to install on.
6 Click reboot when you see "Installation succeeded !".
7 Enjoy!

ebkesq

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Instructions — Installing via USB
1 Make sure you have Install OS X Mountain Lion.app in your Application Folder
2 Select "On an external drive" on the main MCPF window. Then, choose the disk you want to install the Yosemite installer on.
3 Click install and prompt your password.
4 Click exit. Boot the computer you want to install Yosemite on with 'alt' held and select your USB drive.
5 Once booted, Click Continue, Agree and choose the partition you want to install on.
6 Click reboot when you see "Installation succeeded !".
7 Enjoy!

That's not what I'm asking, unfortunately. I wish it were that simple. I don't have Install OS X Mountain Lion.app. Instead, I have a bootable USB installer of Mountain Lion--the one that is created from the InstallESD.app.

What I would like to know is how to use MacPostFactor with a bootable USB installer of Mountain Lion, and not with the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app installer.

Thanks!

kurbads

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Hi, is there something wrong with my copy of ML or is about the way MLPF hacks the Macs?

Every time I restart, Google Chrome says:

'Account sign-in details are out of date. Sign in again

That would not be much of a problem but when it comes to Google drive, the Sign in works only if you delete the whole profile and create it again.

I am trying avoid restarting my late 2006 C2D iMac by putting it asleep as much as possible.

But I am not guarded against power cuts and I would really love to get to bottom of this.

Has nobody else noticed this problem? Am I the only one who uses Google Chrome with Gmail account on MLPF v0.3?

Thank you!
David

ebkesq

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
That's not what I'm asking, unfortunately. I wish it were that simple. I don't have Install OS X Mountain Lion.app. Instead, I have a bootable USB installer of Mountain Lion--the one that is created from the InstallESD.app.

What I would like to know is how to use MacPostFactor with a bootable USB installer of Mountain Lion, and not with the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app installer.

Thanks!

Bump. Anybody know how to do this?

ebkesq

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
I thought about doing something like that, but I don't have the InstallESD.dmg. Instead, I have a bootable thumb drive imaged from the InstallESD disk image. I guess I could make an image of the drive and name it InstallESD.img and then create the folder structure you suggested. However, aren't there other files I will need to recreate the installer?

kurbads

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
I thought about doing something like that, but I don't have the InstallESD.dmg. Instead, I have a bootable thumb drive imaged from the InstallESD disk image. I guess I could make an image of the drive and name it InstallESD.img and then create the folder structure you suggested. However, aren't there other files I will need to recreate the installer?

No, the files required for install app are in the install app and the files in install ESD are the files on your flash. There might be other files in the original app file but MLPostFactor won't look for them! All MLPF will do is extract install ESD to flash drive and patch it with it's 60+ Mb of files and alterations.

I think, there should be a way to skip the extract part and go to the patch part straight away. Try executing the packages from Applications/Hack/MLPostFactor.app/Contents/Resources/ folder without running the whole app.

Last edited:

ebkesq

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
No, the files required for install app are in the install app and the files in install ESD are the files on your flash. There might be other files in the original app file but MLPostFactor won't look for them! All MLPF will do is extract install ESD to flash drive and patch it with it's 300+ Mb of files and alterations.

I think, there should be a way to skip the extract part and go to the patch part straight away. That would dramatically increase the speed. Look through the scripts inside MLPF app. Remove some lines here and there :) Don't forget to report the results.

Thanks. You've been very helpful. I didn't think of modifying the scripts inside MCPF but that could be the best way to go. With my luck, though, I'll screw up the syntax somehow. :)

Let me ask one thing, in case I just decide to use MCPF as is, without modifying the scripts. Can you tell me if this is the correct sequence I need to do?

1). Take "Install Mac OS X.app" from bootable USB and copy to Applications folder, and rename it to "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app."
2). Create disk image of the bootable USB and name it InstallESD.dmg
3). Create Shared Support folder within Install Mac OS Mountain Lion.app and copy InstallESD.dmg into it.
4) Run MCPF.

Thanks!

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Thanks. You've been very helpful. I didn't think of modifying the scripts inside MCPF but that could be the best way to go. With my luck, though, I'll screw up the syntax somehow. :)

Let me ask one thing, in case I just decide to use MCPF as is, without modifying the scripts. Can you tell me if this is the correct sequence I need to do?

1). Take "Install Mac OS X.app" from bootable USB and copy to Applications folder, and rename it to "Install Mac OS X Mountain Lion.app."
3). Create Shared Support folder within Install Mac OS Mountain Lion.app and copy InstallESD.dmg into it.
4) Run MCPF.

Thanks!

Alternately, you can use OS X Extractor and manually patch the installer. It is our manual alternative to MacPostFactor.

LiamPlayz

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Will this screw my computer up? Is it like a hackintosh where it could work or could not work? I have a macbook 2,1.

kurbads

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
4) Run MCPF.

Thanks!
Hi, yes, that sounds like a correct sequence. Report how it went.

Will this screw my computer up? Is it like a hackintosh where it could work or could not work? I have a macbook 2,1.

No, it won't. Mac hacks are different only with few modified kexts. You won't screw anything as long as you properly back up everything. And if you don't have anything to back up, you have nothing to lose. I would not use time machine though. I usually use a bootable medium and back everything up via disk utility to a dmg image on a spare partition or a hard drive.

Last edited:

ebkesq

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2015
Hi, yes, that sounds like a correct sequence. Report how it went.

In short, it didn't work.

I followed the sequence above to recreate the Mac OS installer by using the installer inside the root directory of the bootable ML USB drive, then imaging the bootable USB drive into an image called InstallESD, and then creating a SharedSupport folder inside the installer app and copying the Install ESD image into the SharedSupport folder. When I ran MCPF, I got the "Installer not found" error. Drats!

I'll use the Mac OS Extractor program. Thanks!

Last edited:

a02

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Has a workaround been found to allow a MacBook 4,1 to use a USB created installer from Macpostfactor? Every attempt I make to create and use one results in the blinking startup folder icon with the system then the existing Lion installation boots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.