Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The GUIDE: Networking Windows with OS X thread was well worth the time to write up, it has had over 10,000 views and people have been referred to it countless times to answer there PC/Mac file sharing queries. It has done it's job.

What other subjects are there that come up all the time, and that you think someone could write up a simple, but definitive guide for, that would be as useful to the forums as the networking thread?

IMO having more of these for the most common (not one for everything you can think of, there's macosxhints.com for that) questions would be great for the forums. It's just a question of deciding what is needed, and who knows the subject best to write up a good guide.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
How about a sticky/guide on how to
1. zap PRAM
2. repair permissions
3. fsck

This is always a universal answer to everyones problems.

Or another guide on "How to search before posting a question" :eek:

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
kingjr3 said:
1. zap PRAM
2. repair permissions
3. fsck

Or another guide on "How to search before posting a question" :eek:

I second all those. Especially repairing permissions, and disk management.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
kingjr3 said:
1. zap PRAM
2. repair permissions
3. fsck

Those are very good suggestions. 3 simple things that people get told to do all the time, but they don't always know how to do them.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Laslo Panaflex said:
hey, they look good. But I read and heard somewhere that there isn't any benefit to boot to CD to repair permissions, you might want to look into it becuase it would make repairing permissions easier for the novice.
I thought you either needed to be logged in as root, or boot off the CD to give the repair process the necessary permissions to repair permissions to system files?

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
How about making it into a trouble shooting guide where the first thing to do IS repairing permissions, then .... and...
Because if you turn it into that and mark it accordingly a lot of threads wouldn't be posted since that is all it takes sometimes. (Besides the newbs that don't read FAQs before posting :p :D )

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Diatribe said:
How about making it into a trouble shooting guide where the first thing to do IS repairing permissions, then .... and...
Because if you turn it into that and mark it accordingly a lot of threads wouldn't be posted since that is all it takes sometimes. (Besides the newbs that don't read FAQs before posting :p :D )
That's the thing, no one reads the FAQ's, the point of these GUIDE threads is not to expect people to read them first, but to be able to just point someone in their direction when they ask a common question. So if someone is having problems with their Mac and we tell 'em to reset their PRAM, we can link to this thread to show 'em how to do it rather than constantly explaining.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
edesignuk said:
That's the thing, no one reads the FAQ's, the point of these GUIDE threads is not to expect people to read them first, but to be able to just point someone in their direction when they ask a common question. So if someone is having problems with their Mac and we tell 'em to reset their PRAM, we can link to this thread to show 'em how to do it rather than constantly explaining.

I guess you're right. Oh well can't change the world... :D
How about adding how to erase plists to reset apps or delete entire apps?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
tateusmaximus said:
in what situation would you use fsck and zap the PRAM?
what is PRAM and fsck?
If you have a problem and the need arises that you need to know, then you will be directed to this thread.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Diatribe said:
Maybe my suggestion didn't stand out enough... :D :p

How about adding how to erase and explain plists or adding how to erase entire apps?
I think that kind of advice would be better left to being application specific responses to request for help with specific applications. Trying to write a guide that covers all for this would be a bit much.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
edesignuk said:
I think that kind of advice would be better left to being application specific responses to request for help with specific applications. Trying to write a guide that covers all for this would be a bit much.

I don't know. I for one would find it helpful not having to explain what a plist is, where to find it and how to get rid of it. And it helps resolve problems quite often. Just my 2 cents.

Also I think a guide on the simple stuff everyone likes to ask and thousand threads are about like short cuts and how to change icons, etc. would be nice.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Diatribe said:
I don't know. I for one would find it helpful not having to explain what a plist is, where to find it and how to get rid of it. And it helps resolve problems quite often. Just my 2 cents.

Also I think a guide on the simple stuff everyone likes to ask and thousand threads are about like short cuts and how to change icons, etc. would be nice.
Best get writing them up then! :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Diatribe said:
Also I think a guide on the simple stuff everyone likes to ask and thousand threads are about like short cuts
You don't have short cuts in OS X, you have an alias ;)

Maybe that's another idea, the switchers dictionary.

Explorer = Finder
Shortcut = Alias
Control Panel = System Preferences
Wallpaper = Desktop
etc...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
edesignuk said:
You don't have short cuts in OS X, you have an alias ;)

Maybe that's another idea, the switchers dictionary.

Explorer = Finder
Shortcut = Alias
Control Panel = System Preferences
Wallpaper = Desktop
etc...

I guess you don't need those anymore when Tiger comes out...
But I meant keyboard short cuts since there seem to be a lot of threads about those.
And if there'd be one to tell me how to change icons that'd be great too. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.