Guidedebook -- a website dedicated to preserving and showcas...

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by MacBytes, Mar 22, 2004.

1. cabes macrumors newbie

Deskmate

What about Tandy's Deskmate? I used this in the mid-80s on the 12MHz Tandy 1000 TL/2 running MS-DOS 3.3... I think we even had a mouse with it. :)

2. wowoah macrumors regular

I know I'm probably gonna get blasted for this, but does anyone else think Longhorn's GUI looks kinda cool? It's a little bit cluttered and slightly too bubbly, but it's still pretty sharp looking. There seems to be a lot of little graphical details that give it just a snazziness, once again that could just be me.

Of course, by the time Longhorn comes out, I'm sure Apple will have come out with something far superior and far sexier.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

What I like about Longhorn are the backgrounds. Deep blue with curving streaks of lighter blue. So original! :)

http://www.aci.com.pl/mwichary/guidebook/interfaces/windows/longhorn/longhorn4015/desktop

Basically they have copied Mac OS as usual, and as usual, have lost any elegance and subtlety to the the design in the process. Just like XP copies the colored-gel look of OS X, but takes it over the top into a multi-colored toy look with a zillion competing functional areas.

Luckily I can choose the Win95 look still.

4. winmacguy macrumors 68020

winmacguy

looks like an advanced version of win XP. At this stage ill say that i prefer Panther since i am on it as i write this and can do a direct comparison.
    I would have to say that the Windows screen shot makes me think of a V8 SS Holden Commodore ( very flashy V8 muscle with bells and whistles but not good power to weight ratio when compared to a recent model Porsche Carrera (OS Panther) still with enough bells and whistles but much more stylish, better power to weight ratio and mind blowing excelleration and awesome top end speed (with price to match!)

I guess it will come down to user or purchaser preferance in the long run, what u can afford and will it do the job- with or with out virus attacks.