Guidelines for Installing Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 25, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I have leopard and cannot install it.

There is something broken about filesystem check, or better, leopard finds errors on your hd (improved checking) but can not repair them and so your filesystem remains dirty.

Watch the posts flood in...

3. macrumors regular

guitarman777

Have you tried making your repairs using the Tiger install disc? Instead of asking Leopard to do it, try making the changes/repairs within the existing system. Just a thought. Good luck!

4. macrumors 603

wordmunger

Speaking of which... anyone know if Time Machine can be activated later? I want to take some time to make sure everything works, and my understanding is that Time Machine will erase my backup hard drive. So I'd rather not use it for the first week or so, just to make sure everything's working all right.

5. macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

From what I understand, it asks you if you want to use the hard drive as the Time Machine back up when you plug it in. Just say no. You can turn it on later under the preferences.

6. macrumors 68000

atari1356

7. macrumors G5

Consultant

I think Post #2 is sarcasm, but the author did not state it, only implied it.

8. macrumors regular

Wow, how did I miss this tidbit until now?! So even if I have a Mac that can run Classic apps such as Adobe FrameMaker, Leopard can't run it?

So much for updating my barely year-old G5 then. :mad:

9. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I missed it too, but it's true.

10. macrumors member

Repartition so you have an OSX partition and an OS9 partition (and maybe an ext3 for Linux) and then bless them both for booting. If your machine will boot up OS9 at all then there is no problem( That is a PPC machine, the Intells won't do it.). So you can't use classic. Big deal! I just boot into OS9 when I want to do something with it. Like updating the firmware.

11. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Far superior advice compared to the headline article. Maybe something was lost in the translation, but I would not give that advice to anyone.