Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moreofalot

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
If you read my post, you'd see that I did get the game installed. :) However that is good advice about going straight to guildwars2.com and just using your serial number there to create an account or download the client. The Best Buy PC App is on the lame side...

I see that it's installed. I just didn't know if you had made your account, which if not would save you time instead of remembering to create it the day of [insert Launch, 1-Day Headstart, or 3-Day Headstart] depending on if you prepurchased or preordered.

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Have there been any updates on whats required to run this game? Is it going to be more intensive, less intensive, or the same give or take as Diablo 3?

Update Minimum System Requirements Announced

- Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (257MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
- 25 GB available HDD space
- Broadband Internet connection
- Keyboard and mouse
From: http://guildwars2pc.com/guild-wars-2-system-requirements/

I'm glad to see "Intel HD 3000 or better". My 13" MBP has the HD3000 which currently has 384MB vram but IIRC if I upgrade my RAM to 8GB over the 4GB I have now it will up my vram to 512MB because some how it allows the HD3000 to use some of the 8GB RAM.

According to these specs I "should" be able to run this on my laptop. Diablo 3 runs surprisingly well on my laptop without booting into windows. I get ~30 FPS on max settings (dips in big fights obviously..) and ~45-50 FPS on minimum settings (also dips in big fights but rarely below 30).

I wonder if it would be worth installing 8GB ram and windows to get this game on my laptop. Might just build a custom gaming rig instead though or get an iMac for xmas. Sounds like the GT650m, GT660m, and GTX680m will play this on max settings or close to it anyways.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm looking for good GW2 Combat links. Stuff that talks about how to work in a group to take down a boss. If you find something like that, please give a shout.

I see that it's installed. I just didn't know if you had made your account, which if not would save you time instead of remembering to create it the day of [insert Launch, 1-Day Headstart, or 3-Day Headstart] depending on if you prepurchased or preordered.

I all ready had an Arena.net account and when I finally opened the file that downloaded from Best Buy it was simply a pointer to the GuildWars2 Account page. :)

Have there been any updates on whats required to run this game? Is it going to be more intensive, less intensive, or the same give or take as Diablo 3?

Update Minimum System Requirements Announced

- Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
- Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (257MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
- 25 GB available HDD space
- Broadband Internet connection
- Keyboard and mouse
From: http://guildwars2pc.com/guild-wars-2-system-requirements/

I'm glad to see "Intel HD 3000 or better". My 13" MBP has the HD3000 which currently has 384MB vram but IIRC if I upgrade my RAM to 8GB over the 4GB I have now it will up my vram to 512MB because some how it allows the HD3000 to use some of the 8GB RAM.

According to these specs I "should" be able to run this on my laptop. Diablo 3 runs surprisingly well on my laptop without booting into windows. I get ~30 FPS on max settings (dips in big fights obviously..) and ~45-50 FPS on minimum settings (also dips in big fights but rarely below 30).

I wonder if it would be worth installing 8GB ram and windows to get this game on my laptop. Might just build a custom gaming rig instead though or get an iMac for xmas. Sounds like the GT650m, GT660m, and GTX680m will play this on max settings or close to it anyways.

I'm not an expert on this, but if you can effectively up your VRAM by adding RAM, I imagine that would be helpful.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Too bad there isn't going to be a Mac version. I'd be considerably more interested in the game if there was.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Too bad there isn't going to be a Mac version. I'd be considerably more interested in the game if there was.

That is a choice. It can be a tough choice for someone happy with the MacOS. However for gamers who do mind missing a lot of good MMO content, it's not a terribly hard leap to make. ;)

moreofalot

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
I 'HATE' bootcamp but, non the less looks like its bootcamp or don't play. I'd even play in parallels but seems it,don't work.

Is it just the world's best kept secret or does no one like it?

Try Crossover (codeweavers.com). It runs most Windows-only programs and games. It's the modified version of Wine so it does cost.

As of now, it runs GW2 almost fine. There's graphical issues and some problems with the patcher but it's playable.

For those of you that don't know: unlike Parallels, CX runs programs natively, meaning that you aren't sacrificing (or at least a lot of) performance and it runs just as well on mac as Windows (besides, ofc, certain problems).

Now, like I said, CX costs and there are still issues with GW2, so check out how GW2 runs atm and see if it's worth it to you. (Plus, you can check for other games/programs to play.)

So, if you don't want to Bootcamp, then try CX. Still, Bootcamp is the optimal way to go.

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Does this mean a MacBook Air 11" 2012 maxed out can run it?

Not necessarily. You'd still have to use bootcamp for Win7. But to be honest it probably could. The HD4000 is significantly better than the HD3000 from what I've heard. Also I have heard of people playing Diablo3 on there '12 airs and getting playable frames. Givin that you have a 1.7 dual core (virtual quad core with hyperthreading... it does have hyperthreading right?) that boosts to 2.6 and since you have HD 4000 it seems very plausible.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
That is a choice. It can be a tough choice for someone happy with the MacOS. However for gamers who do mind missing a lot of good MMO content, it's not a terribly hard leap to make. ;)

No, I'm not saying what anyone else ought to do. That's just my take. I have bootcamp setup to play my legacy Windows games collection via Steam, etc. but once I've caught up with that stuff I plan to stick with OS X. There's enough to choose from for me there considering I like Blizzard games and Steam offers a lot now. Then there is Feral and Aspyr, etc. for more options.

But yeah, if you are really wanting to play this, it is very nice bootcamp is available as an option for Mac users. There's no question about that.

As for good MMO content on a Mac, I enjoy playing WoW which offers me tons of hours of entertainment. Coming up I have The Elder Scrolls Online to look forward to and beyond that, Blizzard's Titan is in development.

I used to feel a "need" to have access to everything but I think I am mellowing with age. As long as there is a decent variety of quality games to play on Mac, I will be happy.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
My retina MBP is coming a day before the head start launch. This is what I call 'good timing'! :D

BTW, the GW2 is playeable on 9600M GT with lowest settings (yielding around 25-30 fps). I guess HD 3000 would be similar performance. The 2012 models without dedicated graphics should run the game with 30+ fps at medium settings.

I'm not interested in Guild Wars 2 unless they make a native OSX version.

I am prepared to live with a minor inconvenience for what appears to be the most innovative and fun MMO of the current day. Sure, using Bootcamp is annoying, but playing a boring game is clearly more annoying.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Not necessarily. You'd still have to use bootcamp for Win7. But to be honest it probably could. The HD4000 is significantly better than the HD3000 from what I've heard. Also I have heard of people playing Diablo3 on there '12 airs and getting playable frames. Givin that you have a 1.7 dual core (virtual quad core with hyperthreading... it does have hyperthreading right?) that boosts to 2.6 and since you have HD 4000 it seems very plausible.

You can also have 2.0 GHz, which you don't have to boost. And if you get the 8GB version, you'll have 512 Vram.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
Guild Wars 2 looks great! Hopefully my 2010 13" will be able to handle it! :rolleyes:

I've gotten used to changing over to using Boot Camp (Windows 7) to play games. I always use Boot Camp to play games now. I could actually overclock my GPU on Windows, that's why. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No, I'm not saying what anyone else ought to do. That's just my take. I have bootcamp setup to play my legacy Windows games collection via Steam, etc. but once I've caught up with that stuff I plan to stick with OS X. There's enough to choose from for me there considering I like Blizzard games and Steam offers a lot now. Then there is Feral and Aspyr, etc. for more options.

But yeah, if you are really wanting to play this, it is very nice bootcamp is available as an option for Mac users. There's no question about that.

As for good MMO content on a Mac, I enjoy playing WoW which offers me tons of hours of entertainment. Coming up I have The Elder Scrolls Online to look forward to and beyond that, Blizzard's Titan is in development.

I used to feel a "need" to have access to everything but I think I am mellowing with age. As long as there is a decent variety of quality games to play on Mac, I will be happy.

Sounds reasonable. :) Is Elder Scrolls Online going to be Mac native? Besides GW2, I'll plan on trying out Planetside 2 which I believe will be Windows only.

Guild Wars 2 looks great! Hopefully my 2010 13" will be able to handle it! :rolleyes:

I've gotten used to changing over to using Boot Camp (Windows 7) to play games. I always use Boot Camp to play games now. I could actually overclock my GPU on Windows, that's why. ;)

I've always wondered how much difference you really see overclocking.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I've always wondered how much difference you really see overclocking.
A fair difference, I'd say. Nothing too big, but I do notice a difference while playing League of Legends.. But then again, LoL isn't very demanding.

In any case, after several attempts I've finally pre-purchased it. I had to try a bunch of times to get them to take my money. :rolleyes:

See y'all in game!

Nik73

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
UK
Sorry if it's already been covered, but does anyone know how this will run on a 2011 iMac with a 3.1 i5 and 1GB 6970m at native resolution (2560 x 1440)?

Thanks.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
pre-ordered GW2 the other day somewhat reluctantly, the last 5 mmos i've paid full price on - Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Aion, TERA, & The Secret World, I collectively played less than WoW in a slow week (which I haven't played since TBC)... maybe i'm just over MMOs lol, it's hard to say, but I'm pretty sure those games just weren't much fun... here's to GW2, it's truly my last hope!

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
pre-ordered GW2 the other day somewhat reluctantly, the last 5 mmos i've paid full price on - Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Aion, TERA, & The Secret World, I collectively played less than WoW in a slow week (which I haven't played since TBC)... maybe i'm just over MMOs lol, it's hard to say, but I'm pretty sure those games just weren't much fun... here's to GW2, it's truly my last hope!

Every person is different. I won't try to persuade you of anything, but I disliked all of those MMOs too (havent played TSW tho) and many others too.

To me Guild Wars 2 is one of the best online games ever made. For one specific reason;

It encourages cooperative play. It encourages social play. It encourages exploration and discovery.

This might not seem like a big deal, but if you look at most MMOs in the last 9-10 years (since SWG and EVE) there has been nothing that this.

This is why Skyrim was such a wakeup call for MMO gamers. Because a single player game had become a better virtual world than any MMO. The MMO genre had sold itself out in favor of the EQ model of doing the themepark way. Every player going through the same path. from zone to zone, doing prefixed quests like they would do in a linear single player game. It had become more about filling boxes, doing random tasks and just getting stuff done, like a factory worker who wastes his life producing and producing until he can't take it anymore.

In GW2 you literally have to just go out and explore. There is no set path or right way to do it.
If you want to play with your spouse, your friends, your family, people who you met in the game, you can!! You really can.
Gone are the levelling obstructions. Gone are the barriers that make us able to play together. You don't have to split from people due to different types of servers, different race and class restrictions over factions, or something else. You can even join multiple guilds at once.

Other players cant take anything for you. They cant take your resources, your objectives, your kills, your loot, your fun. they can only add to it. You are all one big group, and the more people hang out, the bigger the battles get. In yesterdays stress test, we did a simple event with bandits trying to blow up a bridge. We had over 40 players at once, which made the game spawn countless enemies, which turned the game into a epic large scale battle like something out of lord of the rings.

It is quite simply, the most fun I've had in an online RPG... well ever.

Guild Wars 1 was a flawed masterpiece. It was unforgiving and only worthwhile to a select few (even though it has sold over 7 million copies and is a resounding success). Ultimately GW1 was an act of defiance. It came from the mind of the original World of Warcraft game director who left the project to make something innovative.

Guild Wars 2 eases up on the defiance part, but its still different. It's not as coarse, but it also kills many of the problems with GW1. What you are left with is a very meaningful experience. Like Minecraft, Left 4 Dead and Battlefield 1942, it's like art in the online scape. This one. Not because of hype, or graphics or such things, but simply because we can have fun together is the reason why it's so great.

My best advice. The best thing I can possible say is this. Allow yourself to discover. Games like World of Warcraft have ruined peoples ability to go out and explore. This is bad. Guild Wars 2 will reward you for even trying. If you go off in the distant mountains to fight trolls, and you participate in an even which you are not strong enough to win, amazingly, it's still not time wasted. Because the way dynamic events work, is that you get rewarded for trying. which means, even if you do not defeat the trolls, you can still win a gold medal, coin and most importantly see the next step of the event. if the trolls win, they will further their agenda. they will move to the next step. perhaps they will begin the assault to capture the maidens of the nearby village. this is the next event and you can then participate in that. maybe more players will be there, and then you might win. then the event gets pushed back, and you do the event you lost before when you first encountered the trolls. then you win it, and you move the event in the other direction.

events are mutli branched pendulum swinging triggered objectives that are at their most when you just go out and explore.

if you go out and explore in wow you will quickly have a bad time. you will go off the beaten path and instantly be killed by a higher level mob. your own skill will mean little in the pure numbers crunching. it will be time wasted resulting in death, corpse run and armor repair. this kills the intiative to want to explore the world differently.

in gw2 you can win by being a dedicated player. thats a big difference. This is such a fun game. I'm in awe of it. Just dont ruin this game by being a completionist who thinks the right way is to wiki everything. then you ruin it for yourself. then your turning it into world of warcraft. levelling is not the factor. the game doesnt begin at lvl 80 (max!). one click and your a lvl 80 in the pvp lobby. you have no reason to not just play the game at your own leisure. dont worry about missing stuff. you will get scaled down appropriately when you return to older zones. this makes the early game competitive an worthwhile all throughout. which kills the ghost-town mentality once everyone is high level. just explore. dont go around doing the hearts. just explore. if you see a mountain or some weird fortress in the distance go explore it. the game wont always tell you to go there. but do it.

you get so many skill challenges, vistas, achievements, titles, coin, hearts, events, map coverage, resources and so on for doing so. its the wrong way to go about it if you just talk to the scout npc and do the 5 hearts on the map and then wonder what to do next.

also remember that crafting rewards xp. you could go all the way to lvl 80 from just crafting. and boy is crafting good. what an amazing surprise. the discovery system is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFU_b4e2bxU

and you can also get xp from just doing structured pvp in the pvp lobby. you get boosted to level 80, but you still get xp for the real world. so if your level 4 and you fight in pvp as a lvl 80, you get xp towards your level 4. its wonderful.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Pretty sure I'm buying this... everything I've read sounds great.

EDIT: nevermind. I threw caution to the wind and preordered inside Mac OS, which is fine... they just send you all the details to download in email.

One dumb question: When you purchase the preorder, does the download start right away? or can I do it at a later time?

I ask because my bootcamp partition isn't big enough - so I'll need to repartition before installing.

Last edited:

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Just put together my old Windows computer for GW2. Even though it is pretty dated now it is still faster than my pretty much current gen Mac Pro for gaming (4.2GHz i7 930 vs 8x 2.93Ghz). Cannibalized a bunch of parts from my Mac Pro as well. Probably going to put the original parts in the Mac Pro back in and sell it. Transferred all my work stuff to my MBP when the new MP was rumored to come out.

Last edited:

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
luffytubby: nice write up.. i've never particularly enjoyed the leveling process in an MMO before... grindy kill count and collection quests, uninspired stories you bypass to get your objective... all seem par for course...

basically everything is rushed through in attempts to quickly proceed to the challenging end game content... which seems even further removed in games like WoW now a days w/ the additions of heroic difficulties and hardmodes... too much humdrum to get to the good stuff..

same with the endless gear grind in uncoordinated battlegrounds just to get things in order to viably Arena... WoW's whole paradigm just sucks that way... i loved 5% of the game, but then there was the other 95% i was just stuck with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.