Guild Wars questions

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyPotg, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I've been into WoW since its release. Stopped playing a couple months ago, and with the upcoming release of the Guild Wars patch (and BOOT CAMP on my MBP!!!) I've been thinking about GW recently. Some questions though.

1. whats the playstyle like? similiar to WoW at all? (for those of you who have played WoW)

2. are the instances ridiculously long like WoW? end game instances? thinking back on it, I want to kick myself for all those nights I sat at my computer for 4-8+ hours and in ONE instance. Kinda hoping GW can be played like the "pick-up" game WoW promised before its release.
    - When I say pick-up game, I mean like... CS: source type pick up. Jump in. play for 5 mins to 5 hours, and leave at will.

3. is there a ton of diffferent armor/weapons and is it easy to distinguish your character from others? I loved this about WoW

4. servers stable?

I think I have more, but thats all I could think of for now.

ps. I was a warrior in WoW, so I'm thinking about gettin a warrior for GW if I get it.

2. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Guild wars is a great game. It's not your traditional MMO in any sense. It's different. For all of you who played Diablo and Diablo II, it's very similar to it. That's the easiest game to compare it to.

1.) You have towns and you group in there. If there aren't any people, then you can just get Henchman(Computer AI) peeps to help you. Once you leave the town, it becomes and instance, so no body can join the game and steal your stuff. Then you do the normal RPG thing and keep moving along. Very Diablo Esk, considering the people who made Diablo Made this game.

2.) THe higher you get in the game, the longer the instances are. I've ran some pretty long ones if you dont' knwo what you are doing. If you do however, they arn't too bad. But usually you are looking at atleast a 20 min play later in game.

3.) Answer to that is sort of. Since everyone can interact with every one, since everyone is on one huge server, it's hard to make just a very rare drop for just one person. So the answer is yes and no. There is some cool stuff to set yourself apart, but perhaps a few might have the same outfit you might. Though you might never see them.

4.) This is the best part. The servers are extremely stable. They optomise to where you are and where your group is. I've seen it go down once or twice, but it was back up very quickly. It's not like WoW where you have server maintnace and it shuts down the server for a while. It's very rare and a day this one goes down. ANother thing is that you don't have to wait to get on. I thought that this was rediculous, you pay for it and you have to wait to get in. There is none of this in Guild Wars. Oh Did i mention no monthly fees.

Hope that helps. I know it's alot, but the best way to is to try it out. They usually have free weekends every once and a while, you just have to sign up for them at fileplanet, filefront, or something like that.

3. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, thanks for the info, man. I was into Diablo so this sounds pretty nice. I knew about the ex Blizzard creator thing too, which is a great thing.

So the end game instances... whats the longest you've ever spent in an instance?

I expected that u'd see people with the same gear on, but its nice to know that theres a large variety. I didn't realize everyone played on one huge server. That sounds really cool.

Hmmm free weekends sounds nice... but I'm a rather spontaneous buyer, so maybe I'll just buy it one day based off word of mouth, heh. Thanks again.

4. Quantum Man macrumors member

The longest I've spent in an end game instance was maybe 30-45 minutes. That was with the intent of going around killing certain bosses for certain drops. Or it was with the intent of farming certain high value drops from certain mobs. In the larger towns, you will find a whole lot more "spam" in the trade channel because there is no AH. I mean if you want to buy something, you have to stretch your chat window to the length of your screen because it scrolls up so fast from all the posts. You do have a guild hall for your guild which was unique and a good meeting place to have meetings or just meet to trade stuff between guild members. You can also click on a city on the world map and teleport there I'm pretty sure(been a while since I played GW), so travel time is greatly reduced. And yeah there is no such thing as ganking :D since you are in your own unique instance once you leave a town and go into the world. On your mini map you have an aggro circle around you, so you see exactly what your aggro range is, I prefer WoW where you don't aggro lower level mobs at closer distances.

Additionally, the game is such that there are certain classes that can solo and farm HUGE amounts of mobs at once which could be seen as unfair. I don't know if this was nerfed since last I played, Dec 05. This obviously gave some players a lot more platinum(the high denomination of money) than others.

I played the game for about 6 months, and loved every minute of it. Then I started playing WoW a little over a month ago, and saw how superior it is and is definitely worth $15/month. Not trying to dissuade you but Guild Wars might be refreshing for you, or you might be disappointed coming from WoW. I'd say it's more straightforward and simple, and takes MUCH less time to reach max level and do the end game levels a bunch of times.