Guitar 1/4" to 1/8" into mac audio-in?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevietheb, Jan 17, 2004.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Is anyone doing this? Is the signal weak? Latency issues?

I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get the guitar in the machine.

thanks!

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

a few things to consider. your guitar is a 1/4" MONO out, your Mac is an 1/8" STEREO in. your sound is gonna be coming in only on one side into GB. i suggest you pickup a splitter cable, or ideally, a little mixer. a preamp wouldn't hurt either, unless your guitar has active pickups. you should take a trip to the local music store and tell them what you're looking to do.

3. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Re: Guitar 1/4" to 1/8" into mac audio-in?

Using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, the signal is weak, but not completely unuseable.

To get decent quality, you'll want some kind of pre-amp (Radio Shack should have a cheap, small mixer). Also, you'll want a long guitar cord if you have a CRT monitor. Having humbucking pickups help, but they aren't 100% in noise rejection.

And, no, there's no latency issues.

4. Crazy Canuck macrumors newbie

Thats what I'm doing, 1/4" to 1/8", no problems here. I'm using a 1/4" mono to 1/8" mono adapter, and it seams to be fine. If you can find one, a mono to stereo would be ideal.

I'm also using my mic the same way, but include an xlr to 1/4" as well.

Good luck.

5. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I think that's what I'll do--try the radioshack solution and see if that fits my needs. If it doesn't, then move up to a preamp with some nice connections and controls, or a cheapo mixer.

Thanks

6. cyberonyx macrumors newbie

bluetooth plug?

what about a bluetooth plug? does one exist? i love my bluetooth mouse, keyboard, headset, phone etc. a guitar plug would be so cool to just strut around while garageband does its amp stuff and whatever else.

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Re: Re: Guitar 1/4" to 1/8" into mac audio-in?

You could experiment with the angle of the guitar to the monitors, I can usually find a sweet spot where the rfresh rate noise nearly dies off completely.

8. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

BLUETOOTH

hahahhahahahaha...I'll have to look into that! I can throw some headphones, and strut all over my apartment doing my best impressions of Eddie Van Halen, Keith Richards, Pete Townshend et al. hahhahaha

9. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I got the little Radioshack adapter. It works ok--you could get pretty acceptable results using this. I also tried putting some effects pedals in between the guitar and the computer--my Ibanez Tube Screamer made for a pretty good sound.

10. jpmack macrumors member

I got a Radio Shack adapter that has a 1/4" mono plug for my guitar and a 1/8" stereo jack, and bought a 16' shielded cable with 1/8" stereo plugs on each end. That way I don't have a heavy guitar cord to drag around and plug into the rather fragile jack on my PB. All for under $15, and it works great.

Plug in headphones, launch the freeware app LineIn, and my PB is now my practice amp as well!

Here's the adapter:
    Inline Stereo Adapter