guitar learning. whats the best way

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hey all. I have had a guitar for a while and really want to be able to play some songs. how would you guys go about learning this cool instrument

i have tried before but its been so intimidating lol so any advice on how to start or what to focus on wh=ould be awesome!

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

about.com has a nice beginners guide online for the first weeks to months

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Get a chord book and just go at it. Once your chords start sounding like music you'll be hooked. I'm a decent acoustic player, but I never got into theory. I have friends who are incredible. I just don't think I'm as talented as they are. It's still loads of fun to play what I can!

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

so i guess learn the chords before trying to imitate a song is the way to go?

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

If you're just starting out, your best bet would be to find a guitar teacher and take lessons for a few months (at least). After you're comfortable with the basics, you can think about moving to a self-teaching book or dvd. A good teacher will start you off on the right foot, and help you avoid bad habits and bad technique that can really limit your playing down the road.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Yes, get a teacher and learn theory. It may be duller than blasting out your favourite songs, but it will help. A LOT!

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yes, you need to learn to play a few basic chords, and then practice changing from one chord to another. There are a ton of songs you can play using three basic chords.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

listen to the music you like the most. Do some research on the band, and find out what their influences are, and have a listen to them.

You already have a guitar, which makes my next point irrelevant;
    If you are looking to get your first instrument, make sure its inexpensive, but comfortable. Theres no point in getting an instrument if it doesnt feel nice to play. Squier make some really nice cheap guitars. I had one for 3 years before i got my fender.

Its a bit harder with guitar, because the authorities are getting anal about guitar tab sites, but see if you can find some tabs for guitar. A good site is mxtabs.net for guitar, and i like bassmasta.net for bass tabs. Tabs are sheet music created by another guitarist based on what s/he thinks the song goes like. More often than not, they are slightly flawed, but thats good, because it gives you room to improvise.

find some good mates who play the other rock instruments (bass and drums) and make a band. This will get you motivated to play, and will stop you from becoming whats known as a "bedroom guitarist"; someone who plays just for themselves, and sometimes ends up becoming whats also known in the music industry as a 'wanker' :p
    A lot of bands form in their high school years; Silverchair is one example. They wrote the song "Tomorrow" when they were in their early teens, and that song is still among the most requested songs ever on Triple J.

Last point, just have fun. Thats all that music should be about. If you aren't having fun with it, kick out the band member which is the cause of the problem.

If you make a band, create a PureVolume and a myspace music site. They are both free, and are viewed a lot. Be sure to give us the first sample of your music!

Enjoi :D

Lee from JjR

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I taught myself from a chord book. Mate of mine tried teaching me how to solo but I can't do that very well. Books can teach you everything, books and practice! lots of both.

10. jamone80 macrumors regular

in addition to what others said about learning chords, you should practice your motor skills that help dexterity. that means basic exercises that move your fingers up and down the fretboard. its a really good exercise that will help your hands get more familiar with the guitar. theory and chords are important, but if your hands can't move through the guitar neck fast enough, yours songs will sound choppy and akward.

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Sorry, but this is absolutely not true when it comes to playing a musical instrument. If you just want to strum a few "power chords" then yeah, you can probably teach yourself from a book or video. But unless you're some sort of prodigy, your skills will be pretty limited by going that route. A good teacher will help you focus on things you would otherwise probably skip over when teaching yourself from a book, which will make you a much better player in the long run. The title of this thread is Guitar learning - What's the best way. Studying with a good teacher is the best way.

12. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I agree with others here that getting a good teacher is the best way. The benefit of getting immediate feedback on how you are playing is invaluable, and guidance on what to do next. It also helps with motivation - having something new to show your teacher each week.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I found that learning guitar myself was the best. I learned to play my favorite songs, learned the different chords, and just figured it all out.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea, me too. I had a buddy show me a few things, and I just kind of went from there.

be prepared to suck for a while. That's the worst part.