Guitars on garageband

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zedsdead185, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    hopefully I'll be getting my first mac very soon (20" iMac) which I am looking forward too very much.

I know it's possible to hook up a guitar to a mac to use with garage band and I was just wondering how I could do that. Would I need anything new other than a guitar, amp and the standard jackplug guitar-to-amp cable?

Thanks muchly for your help in advance! :D

2. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

ya u can, u need to get a special cable from apple to do it though, I might be wrong, thats what ive heard :cool:

PS congrads on the first apple

3. Mac the knife macrumors member

You need just a guitar and a cable that goes from the guitar to the input jack on the computer. No amp needed. Garageband has amplifier simulation built in. It's not bad. I use a Behringer Vamp2 and iVamp software from Wabbit wanch design to control it. Pretty cool. I would like to use my POD, Line6 has no GUI for Intel mac though(at this time).

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow thats great! Thanks for your help guys;) . I appreciate it

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mac the knife is correct in that all you need is the cable. I use a monster cable that I bought from CompUSA for $20-$30 I cannot remember. I did not buy anything like the iVamp software or the Vamp2, but I will eventually. For starters I only want to buy the least amount of stuff to get it to work and see how I liked it and how much I would use it. Just know that the start up cost is just the cable, it's not that you need the Vamp2, but it's a good idea if you really want to lay down tracks for show, but for what I do, it's not that I need tons of quality as it's all about me for me. :)

Congrats on your mac btw.

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Griffin Technology do them as well, knowing Griffin they'll be good but getting quite expensive...