*gulp* about to pull the trigger ... MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eVolcre, Apr 7, 2006.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

That's it. I can't wait anymore. So, I'm doing it in the next hour or so. I am going to go with a completely loaded up top of the line model. Any last minute advice before I order?

Oh - there is a point to this thread. What attachment do I need to watch a movie sent from my powerbook to a TV?

I will be travelling a lot and thought that might come in handy ...

eV

2. iGary Guest

iGary

You're not going to try and make a living on Adobe products off of it are you?

No?

Have fun. :D

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Real funny! :mad:

:p

Hehe. Nah, mainly for DVDs, presentations, making my own blog, lots of photo editing etc. Can't wait. I have a Rev A 12" G4 right now and it's been showing its age for a long time now ...

I *thought* i was going to wait for a 17" but then realized the 15.4" is the best of both worlds.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I meant it, though. :eek:

I'd have one on my desk right now if Adobe supported it and my panorama software was universal.

5. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Well, the only thing I see using, and that too minimally, is Adobe Photoshop. I have a really cool digital camera - the Casio Exilim S600 - and it does a lot of photo editing in the camera itself. I'm actually even going to try moving away from Office and using iWork.

Oh - question - Apple doesn't have a spreadsheet program to replace Excel yet does it? Another question - are office files compatible with iWork? Can I save a Keynote or Pages document as a .doc or .ppt? And also the reverse?

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

welcome to neooffice.org....i love it, it is what i use for my spreadsheets

however they say that it will work for intel macs by the summer which isn't too far from now

7. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Yes you can save iWork documents into Word and Powerpoint. And yes iWork will open them up as well.

8. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks guys. I've been waiting so long for this but all of a sudden I'm freaking out about dropping 3500 on a machine. :eek:

OK

1. What lock should I order from the Apple store? Does the MBP have the same 'kensington' slot as the Powerbook G4?

2. What cable do I need to buy to watch DVDs on a TV screen?

eV

9. viperguy macrumors 6502

I don't know the answers to your questions. But you can donate your old Rev A PB to me :p

10. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

>> don't know the answers to your questions. But you can donate your old Rev A PB to me

If you want to fix it its yours. Dead serious. Why don't you PM me. About 3 months ago it just stopped booting up. I smelled the power cors burning a bit and shut it down. Now, when I plug in the power cord, the part that goes into the wall flickers on and off.

The only deal is that you would have to help me get my photos, files and songs off from the Hard Drive.

Let me know if itnerested. It's a great little machine. Right now I was going to throw it away after I extracted the hard drive. I wouldn't mind donating it to a Mac Lover, especially someone from this site ...

It may be unfixable, but , if its an easy fix, you got yourself a nice little working laptop

eV

11. viperguy macrumors 6502

Ok, just give me a second :)
    I just love Apple but I don't have enough cash to buy a Mac lol.
    So I wouldn't know how to fix it too =/
    Even though I'd love to receive it, I'm afraid I'm not the right/best person to receive your laptop.
    (but of course if a light came into my mind and I fixed it, I'd help you recovering all your data. But in last case, if you're just throwing it into garbage, lol why not trying)

12. iGary Guest

iGary

You'll fell better once you puch the order button. I nearly threw up when I order my PM. I've paid less for cars.

13. viperguy macrumors 6502

ok, LOL at that haha

14. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Haha, me too.

But then again, my car cost less than an iPod shuffle...!

I paid £60 UK pounds for it, which is about $120 US dollars ?

It's a Volkswagen and it runs and runs.

Rich.

15. viperguy macrumors 6502

LOL
    I thought he was joking on the car thing... But now I'm surprised :eek:

16. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yeah it was a nice little story.

We found it on eBay, and the guy had a number so we phoned him and asked him if he had a buy it now, which was £60 UK pounds.

We drove up through the deep Welsh vallies, through winding little villages where it seemed time had stood still, and there it was. There were no pictures on eBay but it was in great condition and still had some M.O.T left on it. You need to have one to be able to drive your car on the road in the U.K.

There are some bargains on eBay, as if you didn't know ;)

Rich.

17. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I DID IT!!!! (my stomach feels funny though. ****. But you're right, now that I'm done I'm relieved. So much research has gone into this)

I think I need a cigarette or a strong drink though. $3500!!!!!

Here's what I got

18. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I pulled the trigger yesterday.

Now Im poor and back to packing my lunches.

19. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Yeah, I think lunch might be soup today instead of the thai buffet I had planned. :eek:

Oh well, I had planned and budgeted for it so no remorse.

Know what though, the website says shipping in 24 hours, my email said shipping in 2 to 3 days. Wierd, eh?

20. viperguy macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your purchase! Hope you have good moments with your new Mac and stuff ;)

21. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Congratulations!!

You have an incredible machine!

Something noone mentions about the PowerBook/MacBook Pro, is how gorgeous they smell when they arrive!

I'm not crazy. Honestly!

Rich.

22. viperguy macrumors 6502

Yeah, my Nano smelled pretty good when it arrived.
    Wonder how Apple laptops smell lol

23. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Smell??? Umm ... I love this site and all but there's no way I'm going to admit to ANYONE that my computer smelled nice. hahaha.

Anyway, my tradition when I get anything new is to drop a spot of coffee on it where it won't mess with the machine and then intentionally scratch it. It's going to happen anyway, so i just do it myself to break it in :)

Got a brand new Casio Exilim S600 (FANTASTIC camera btw) last month and what did I do? Scratched the front of it .. hehe. Yeah, I'm wierd

24. viperguy macrumors 6502

Jesus. I'm afraid of you.
    Spending 3.5k on a PC and the first thing you'll do is... Scratch it :eek:
    And I thought that I was wierd. You totally beat me lol

25. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Hehe, it makes sense to me. It's going to happen anyway!