Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert-a-hudson

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Britain
can only justify* getting it before my exams, otherwise i wouldnt really need a mbp, so, either way, i had to order this week or next week :rolleyes:

*by justify i mean have an excuse for spending ££££

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
This topic sure has been fun to read...

I'll probably be ordering my MBP in three weeks or so... :D

I'll wait for the updated specs anyway.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
eVolcre said:
That's it. I can't wait anymore. So, I'm doing it in the next hour or so. I am going to go with a completely loaded up top of the line model. Any last minute advice before I order?

Oh - there is a point to this thread. What attachment do I need to watch a movie sent from my powerbook to a TV?

I will be travelling a lot and thought that might come in handy ...

eV

Good luck to you. You've bought what is clearly a fantastic computer (one I would LOVE to own) and don't let any naysayers bother you. Enjoy. I'm jealous.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
eVolcre said:
THX1139

OK, so what do I do when it first arrives? Open it (duh) but I mean do I need to run any software? What do I check for to make sure its worknig properly? Anything else you recomend I do?

Oh - do I log in as an administrator? Or make two accounts? One admin and one normal to use every day?

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Let me see if I can help you... first thing you do, take your laptop out of the box and scratch it because it will happen anyway. Then RTFM. Enjoy your MBP.

macgeek2005 said:
The MacBook Pro's are gonna be updated in a few weeks when the MacBook's are released!!! Cancel your order!!!

I read the same thing on several reliable websites. It's not hard to find if you google. This is a really bad time to buy unless you absolutely need a new laptop.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would have to say wait unless you absolutely must have a new computer right now.

The current MBP's are already in their 4th revision and I expect more improvements to address heat and battery life issues.

Universal Binary software availability is coming along, but many pro applications and plugins may not be ready for another 6 months.

I know waiting sucks, but sometimes a few months really is worth the wait.

In some cases a few weeks can make a tremendous difference.

It's best to make a purchase decision knowing all your options, but right now many of these options are yet to be revealed.

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
iGary said:
You're not going to try and make a living on Adobe products off of it are you?

No?

Have fun. :D

Funny you say that. I'm making a living off of Adobe/Macromedia products using my Macbook Pro :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
infernal_spawn_of_evil.jpg

The important text on this card is... "It's coming!" :p

Should be here on Saturday.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
How much did you end up paying in shipping.

I'm used to paying typically like 5 dollars max for taxes in my short life... but for my MPB it'll be like 200 bucks.. ;)

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
THX1139 said:
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Let me see if I can help you... first thing you do, take your laptop out of the box and scratch it because it will happen anyway. Then RTFM. Enjoy your MBP.

I read the same thing on several reliable websites. It's not hard to find if you google. This is a really bad time to buy unless you absolutely need a new laptop.

I reallyw asn't being sarcastic. Was trying to make peace with you. Anyway, :D on the scratch it. :)

I follow macrumors and appleinsider and I honestly haven't seen ANY news of a revision in the MBP. Can you point me to a link? (again, not being sarcastic, just curious)

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
I dont understand how anyone can sit here and say that its a bad time to buy a MBP. They are great laptops and mine has no issues what so ever.

If anyone had an issue with theirs, Apple will address it however it need to be addressed.

So what if they are updated, a .12 ghz boost is not going to do anything. Some of you make it seem as if a new model is released, then the MBP is going to be out of date. I doubt it.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
buryyourbrideau said:
I dont understand how anyone can sit here and say that its a bad time to buy a MBP. They are great laptops and mine has no issues what so ever.

If anyone had an issue with theirs, Apple will address it however it need to be addressed.

So what if they are updated, a .12 ghz boost is not going to do anything. Some of you make it seem as if a new model is released, then the MBP is going to be out of date. I doubt it.

Thank You. You said it more succinctly and without emotion than I could have.

Mine is sitting at home, I open it tomorrow morning and hope there aer no issues. But, if there are, Apple will fix them, so I'm not too worried.

So far, here are the things I will be checking for. Buryyourbrideau could you tell me if I'm missing anything ..

1. All applications closed. Running from battery power. Check for 'whine' coming from left and right side.

2. Check for stuck pixels. (i don't even know what a damn stuck pixel is though)

3. Check fro display noise?

4. Heat (my rev a 12" G4 was pretty hot though so I don't see this one being hotter)

5. Insert the diagnostic CD, power down, press D while powering up and run the extended hardware check.

Am I missing anything? Oh .. and HAVE FUN WITH IT! YAY

eV

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
viperguy said:
May I ask what happened to your old 12'' G4? :D

I ended up giving to fatsoforgotso in the UK. His girflriend is a fledgeling photographer and he wanted to try and fix it up for her bday present. Sorry bud, I know you wanted it. Stick around 2 years, I'll give you the MBP. LOL. It *might* have a self induced scratch on it though. :p :p :p

eV

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
ChrisBrightwell said:
That's how much I paid for my lowly PowerBook two years ago. :(

The ONLY way I could justify this is the fact that I graduate with my MBA in 2 weeks and have a decent job lined up. Then again, I'm justifying spending a leeeetle tooooo much money :eek:

But, the way I see it, I can work hard for a few months, not spend anything on frivolous items and catch up again.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
eVolcre said:
Thanks guys. I've been waiting so long for this but all of a sudden I'm freaking out about dropping 3500 on a machine. :eek:

OK

1. What lock should I order from the Apple store? Does the MBP have the same 'kensington' slot as the Powerbook G4?

2. What cable do I need to buy to watch DVDs on a TV screen?

eV

1. yes same lock slot
2. DVI-Composite/S-Video Cable (will run you abotu 19$)

i bought one with mine last thurs when i picked up a stock 2.0 at the soho store

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
joshwest said:
1. yes same lock slot
2. DVI-Composite/S-Video Cable (will run you abotu 19$)

i bought one with mine last thurs when i picked up a stock 2.0 at the soho store

Thanks Josh. This was the question in the first post and we ended up wandering way away from the topic. :)

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
eVolcre said:
I ended up giving to fatsoforgotso in the UK. His girflriend is a fledgeling photographer and he wanted to try and fix it up for her bday present. Sorry bud, I know you wanted it. Stick around 2 years, I'll give you the MBP. LOL. It *might* have a self induced scratch on it though. :p :p :p

eV

:(
Oh, bad luck for me.
Well, I will wait about to 10 years and who knows till then you think about donating your MBP to me :p
I might even have get a job till then

verbel

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2006
wohoo

4:05 PM
Departed FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK

I wonder if there's a chance I'll see it tomorrow.

verbel

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2006
this post is coming straight from my macbook pro!! this is so cool i have to go to work at six for a 12 hour shift but I can't quit playing with it. gonna be along night. This is my first Mac so things are pretty confusing it took me quite a while just to figure out how to change my wallpaper ,but it works great and i'm having fun.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
verbel said:
this post is coming straight from my macbook pro!! this is so cool i have to go to work at six for a 12 hour shift but I can't quit playing with it. gonna be along night. This is my first Mac so things are pretty confusing it took me quite a while just to figure out how to change my wallpaper ,but it works great and i'm having fun.

AWESOME!!!! Congrats. Hey, bounce over to this thread. You and I can post our experiences and questions in the same spot ...

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2313508#post2313508

There's a lot of experienced Mac Users in that thread too who have been walking me through setup and checks to see that the MBP is working great.

Beautiful machine eh? I'm in love ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.