Gun Control In America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by carbonmotion, Jun 18, 2005.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

In a recent Extreme Tech dot Com article, the idea of a electric gun is explored to further advance the field of gun safety. The machinism works by placing signal proccessor and senors inside a gun's grip. The engineers which are working on this project claims that each individual's grip can be defined as the key that will unlock the gun. This technology will be powered by rechargable batteries and a charging crate. This technology will be ready for distribution in a few years, what do you think?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

link please

3. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Strikes me it's only going to take one death caused by a gun refusing to fire to discredit the whole thing. Bring back the bow and arrow.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I didn't realize they'd gone away. I say bring back the pike and broadaxe. Picture future bank robberies.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Legislatures in Maryland, New Jersey and California have been exploring or calling for legislation on this sort of design. Implementation, in Maryland, however, would not be required for police handguns.

I'm not quite convinced that a failure to fire for a policeman would be worse for society than a failure to fire for my wife.

Or me or you, for that matter...

:), 'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think this kind of technology will have to be around for a long time before it's able to be relied on. Think how long it took many cops to move from a revolver to a semi-auto. Sure there were benefits, but the cops were worried about reliability.

Plus, many self defense guns may sit for months or years. Batteries could go dead easily in that time. I'd still rather have a double-action revolver in a locked box under the bed for the time being.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

A shotgun makes for much better home defense, and they're legal.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah but I don't have a locking box big enough for a scattergun under the bed. That bad boy has to live in the closet safe.

And what makes you think a revolver is illegal?

10. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

yeah true

i perfer my gun to work on the spot.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Some real-world considerations:

If your strong hand is disabled, can the handgun recognize your weak hand?

Consider the economics of husband/wife: This means spending the money for two handguns--or more, if there are other responsible-age people in the home.

If the system is to be programmed by the owner, that means that his kid will be able to change the programming--and if kids continue as they are, considering who in the house is the computer expert and who knows how to program the VCR, the same problems will exist in the future as in the past and present.

Reminiscent of the noises about trigger locks: Once a kid reaches the "age of hacksaw"...

It's *A* solution, but not *THE* solution...

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How much grip force has to be applied for the gun to "know" it's you, and how tight are the tolerances? I mean, sometimes I shoot single handed, sometimes I shoot using both hands. I typically shoot w/my right hand, but I shoot a bit w/my left as well just in case I'm in a situation where I'm forced to use my off hand. Will the firearm "know" it's me under all those circumstances and other plausible variants?

And the idea that you have to plug the firearm into a charger just strikes me as stupid. Lord help you if there is a natural disaster, the power is out, and you're trying to defend yourself/family/business from vandals, looters, or worse. Or you forgot to plug it in after you came back from the range. Or someone accidently unseated the plug from the wall while vacuuming. Or...

I'm assuming the main point of this tech is to help prevent accidental shootings? Well, IMO proper gun safety and education would be more reliable, would be cheaper, and is available today.

Lethal

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Why, LW! The effrontery of wanting common sense and responsibility from people! The very idea! That contravenes the entire philosophy of Naderism!