Gun Grabbers, now what are you going to do?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Sep 27, 2013.

1. lostngone, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

macrumors demi-god

lostngone

For those who think banning any type of firearm or firearm part to law abiding citizens is a "good thing"

http://forums.defcad.com/showthread.php?843-First-3D-Printed-Semiautomatic-Firearm

What happens in 5 to 10 years when a criminal will be able to go out and pick up the new HP 3DEZ 3D printer for ~$400 and print a full-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine???

Good thing we will have all these laws on the books to stop them!!!!

2. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Well, for one you outlaw the sale and distribution of the plans capable of "printing" the gun.

I do imagine that there would still be "outlawed" versions of the software available. However, if you regulate it, you'd reduce the opportunities available for people to simply download and print a weapon.

3. macrumors G3

roadbloc

These printed guns are no doubt to have a high rate of failure. I doubt it is a viable alternative to a real gun. Nice scaremongering but it isn't working.

4. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

OMG you really do only have one topic of conversation.:eek:

5. macrumors G3

Renzatic

I'll tell you this much, if I wanted to print a gun, I wouldn't trust doing it on a home bought consumer grade 3D printer using standard materials. Thing would probably only print something capable of reliably shooting a bullets or two before the body wears down. After that, who knows what'll happen when you pull the trigger.

6. macrumors G3

NT1440

Gun control of 3d printing is a farce. Gun legislation is simply the mechanism being used to lock down the 3d printing industry (think drm) before it changes the status quo.

7. Moderator emeritus

It's quiet.

Imagine a house. A large house. Many rooms.

In one of those rooms is a piano, an old piano, maybe missing a key. Maybe out of tune. Definitely out of tune.

Imagine a child, your child, someone else's perhaps, finding that piano.

And playing the same note. Loudly. Over and over... and then, once in a while, hitting a broken key.

But you can't move. Because you're stuck. Trapped, just you and the piano, in this large empty house with many rooms...

By this stage, I'd probably take that hypotherical HP 3DEZ 3D printed fully-automatic firearm with a 100 round magazine...

...and blow my mother-fecking brains out.

8. tshrimp, Sep 27, 2013

macrumors 6502

We must put an end to the violence these printers cause by implementing stricter printer control laws. As we know printers kill people, and stricter laws will save lives. Printer safes and printer locks are not enough to keep these out of the hands of our children as well, and as we know the children are our future, and they have the right to grow up without having to think of printer violence.

I say we band together against the NPA (National Printer Association), and show these right winged crazies what is right.

P.S. I call for full Printer registration in the US. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and others will follow our lead into the future.

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Correction. You aren't banning or regulating the printer.

You'd regulating the software plans that create the gun.

10. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Like every other analogy you've ever cooked up on this topic, 3D printers are USEFUL for something other than putting bits of metal through objects at a high rate of speed, *unlike guns*.

11. thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Look at the output of the first consumer computer printers and look at them now.

I don't think your average criminal looking to hold up a convenience store with the "no firearms sign" is really worried if his 3D printed firearm is going to keep working after 50 rounds.

12. macrumors 6502

Why does someone need plans? Does it not allow you to create your own?

13. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

:confused:

Good luck. I certainly couldn't do it.

You can't control what people build on their own.

But you can control (to a degree) what is openly sold and distributed.

14. tshrimp, Sep 27, 2013

macrumors 6502

I finally put a left leaning spin on something and you don't like it? Hmmmm.

Just an fyi...As you realize what I wrote was nonsense, and I assume you read it as such. I sometimes wonder if the left realizes that this is exactly how some of the gun arguments against guns look to us right wingers.

BTW...Here are some uses for guns. They are not used to kill innocents as many make it sound.

http://www.gunlaws.com/noble.htm

Protecting your family in emergencies
    Personal safety and self defense
    Preventing and deterring crimes
    Detaining criminals for arrest
    Guarding our national borders
    Preserving our interests abroad
    Helping defend our allies
    Overcoming tyranny
    International trade
    Emergency preparedness
    Commerce and employment
    Historical preservation and study
    Obtaining food by hunting
    Olympic competition
    Collecting
    Sporting pursuits
    Target practice
    Recreational shooting

But you live in Chicago where there is gun control, so I assume the murder rate is very low where you are at.

15. macrumors G3

Renzatic

All you'd need is a CAD program, and you could design anything you want. But think about it. Would you really want Billy Guncrazy sitting around in his house, designing high velocity firearms with his pirated copy of Autocad and a couple days worth of tutorials under his belt?

I can see it now...

"3D PRINTERS ARE A GOVERNMENT LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO HARM PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING NOTHING MORE THAN EXERCISING THEIR GOD GIVEN 2ND AMENDMENT RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS!

Since this whole 'make your own gun craze' took off, over 6000 people have had multiple fingers blown off ON EACH HAND due to these so called self made guns misfiring. I don't think this is a coincidence! I think the government knew 3D printers wouldn't be good enough to make a gun, and they're allowing their own citizens to hurt themselves so they can ban REAL guns from the market! IT ALL MAKES SENSE! YOU CAN'T FIRE A GUN WITHOUT FINGERS! IT'S ALL A PLOY, PEOPLE! OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE THE TRUTH"!

16. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Most of Chicago is pretty nice these days. You aren't likely to get shot there.

17. Moderator emeritus

Guns don't kill people, fingers kill people.

Must admit, it's got a certain ring.

18. macrumors 6502

You commend about missing fingers reminds me of one of the funnies videos I have seen that involves Apple. It is a little old, but I think it is still funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-YesqzvNk

----------

Been there many many times (Too cold for me). But Chicago does have a very high murder rate, so although not likely to get shot anywhere, your chances are higher there than most places.

19. macrumors 68030

bradl

You still haven't addressed my request for 2 different citations in the other threads on this. Are you going to continually ignore those, are get to them?

BL.

20. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

It's amazing how reputation trumps reality. While people love to talk about how dangerous Chicago is, these cities get overlooked despite having higher murder rates ...

21. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

It's called specialization...;)

22. macrumors G3

Renzatic

And what do rings go on? Fingers. It's all coming together! It makes so much sense now.

...we've crossed the Rubicon here, people.

23. macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Why don't you ask the UK or Canada how they deal with zip guns in this day and age. I mean crude zip guns are fairly easy to make... probably easier and more accessible than your Armchair Psychic future where people are easily printing 3D guns with supplies and materials in the hundreds as opposed to pieces of wood, metal piping and rubberbands.

24. lostngone, Sep 27, 2013

thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

People are ALREADY making 3D printed guns. I will not say they are better then something you can build from a couple of trips to the hardware store(zip guns)

However 3D printer technology is only going to get better and cheaper and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see(see my original link in this thread) that it is only a matter of time before someone comes up with plans for a semi-auto or select fire weapon that is easier to make then a hardware store zip gun.

25. macrumors G5

yg17

Ideally a high rate of failure with the bullet going backwards. Darwinism should take care of some of these folks :p