Gun Permit Disclosure *ahem* Draws Fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Dec 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Comments?

It would seem to me to be a bad idea to list addresses of where to find guns.

2. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a stupid thing to do. I'm sure criminals will love knowing what houses have and don't have guns.

3. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

It certainly puts the notion that guns protect to the ultimate test though.

4. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The map, whilst a horrible idea, shows that even if you ban guns outright right now it wouldn't matter. Its almost amazing that there aren't more incidents.

5. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

yeah, i saw that a day or so ago....thought about posting it here...

thats ok...we are getting payback..

someone found that address and phone numbers of the writer and editorial staff responsible for this and pasted it all over the internet.

6. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well I agree it was not the right thing to do I would like to point out that it was done all with public records. I would not be surprised in the least if that same info can be accessed threw the internet from the gov directly.

7. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

On the contrary it shows what I and others have been saying all along...the vast majority of gun owners are responsible and safe.

8. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

difference is the first (posting all the gun owners) info was legal and done threw public record. The other on the other hand can fall in the illegal category and can easily be proved to be harassment.

9. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

actually, in all likelihood they broke the law by publishing this information:

TJN Broke the law in it's actions to post this map of gun owners:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?sh=prin...09388&term

Section 1. Subdivision 5 of section 400.00 of the penal law

A. 9388 2

1 (II) A REQUEST FOR THE ENTIRE LIST OF LICENSEES, OR FOR ALL LICENSEES IN A GEOGRAPHIC AREA, SHALL BE DENIED, EXCEPT TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT
    AGENCY OR ANY ENTITY ACTING ON BEHALF OF OR PROVIDING SERVICES TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SUBDIVISION, THE TERM “LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY” SHALL MEAN THE DIVISION OF STATE POLICE, ANY NEW YORK STATE COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT, ANY POLICE DEPARTMENT OF ANY CITY, VILLAGE OR TOWN WITHIN NEW YORK STATE, THE POLICE FORCE OF ANY NEW YORK STATE AUTHORITY OR AGENCY, THE STATE POLICE FORCE OF ANY OTHER STATE, ANY FEDERAL LAW

10. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, it was legally obtained. It doesn't mean it was right. They could have simply printed a story telling the public that these records are available should they wish to pursue a FOIA request.

11. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

peoples addresses are public information for the most part...deeds are a matter of public record...

----------

ahem...

TJN Broke the law in it's actions to post this map of gun owners:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?sh=prin...09388&term

Section 1. Subdivision 5 of section 400.00 of the penal law

A. 9388 2

1 (II) A REQUEST FOR THE ENTIRE LIST OF LICENSEES, OR FOR ALL LICENSEES IN A GEOGRAPHIC AREA, SHALL BE DENIED, EXCEPT TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT
    AGENCY OR ANY ENTITY ACTING ON BEHALF OF OR PROVIDING SERVICES TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS SUBDIVISION, THE TERM “LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY” SHALL MEAN THE DIVISION OF STATE POLICE, ANY NEW YORK STATE COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT, ANY POLICE DEPARTMENT OF ANY CITY, VILLAGE OR TOWN WITHIN NEW YORK STATE, THE POLICE FORCE OF ANY NEW YORK STATE AUTHORITY OR AGENCY, THE STATE POLICE FORCE OF ANY OTHER STATE, ANY FEDERAL LAW

12. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Then how did they get the infomation in the first place.

Oh yea FOIA... (aka the law enforcement claim falls apart) and the next question is why did they get it. If they did not attempt to fact being a law enforcement then something else is the matter. Someone job should be fired if they should of denied it.

13. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How did they break the law? It doesn't say the list can't be published. It says the request shall be denied for a complete list. The list was not a complete list of gun owners, only handgun owners. Seems like the county offices screwed up if anyone did.

14. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

It does not seem to me that this is information that would or should be available under the FOIA...

Philadelphia actually did something similar recently. They created a similar map that contained a variety of information related to licenses and inspection..people who had been denied a concealed carry permit for one reason or another and were appealing the decision had their names and addresses posted..in this case the information was removed within a week and the city is currently facing a lawsuit over the release of that information.

as an aside, getting denied a permit in Filthadelphia means nothing....The city is very liberal and anti-gun to begin with and has a long history of harassing gunowners.

----------

from the sound of it, they may have possibly posed as an LEO to get this information? who knows what the heck happened.

15. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From the sound of what? I see that nowhere in any of the articles I've read. Their own page simply says…

16. macrumors 603

The outrage over this is stupid.

All of this information is public records obtained by a freedom of information request.

The funniest part about this is the arguments from the gun nuts that "having a gun at your home deters crime" have changed their tune and now they are "targets because they have a gun in their home". Right. :rolleyes: You can't have it both ways.

Nice pre-teen mentality there. No wonder we can't make any progress in this country when a portion of the population act like petulant children when there's something they disagree with. That's really going to make everyone else take you seriously. :rolleyes:

People need to grow the **** up and remember how to act like adults instead of 5 year olds.

17. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

maybe you should be directing those comments towards the writer and staff of that newspaper...since they seem to be the ones that have an issue with gunowners. :D

18. macrumors 603

The newspaper isn't harassing any of these people or calling them up and threatening them.

They published already-public information. Get over it.

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Come on, they did something irresponsible. There is no reason to demonize legal gun owners. If you want to know if your neighbors own guns, file a FOIA request.

20. macrumors 6502a

webbuzz

To own a handgun in New York (except NYC), they have to be permitted. Rifles and shotguns do not. So, it is a complete list of permitted handgun owner locations.

Had they published the owner names, it would be a different issue.

----------

I agree, it was irresponsible.

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I believe they did "publish" the owners names. If you mouse over a map dot you get a name as well as an address.

22. macrumors 6502a

webbuzz

Oh snap... Thanks for pointing that out.

23. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Just another example of the media making themselves the story. They knew the type of reaction this would get and all the free pub it would get as a result.

End of the day they published private info about citizens who had not broken any laws. This paper's staff should be ashamed of themselves.

24. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't think this demonizing at all. If I lived near someone with multiple handguns and who seemed a little paranoid or easily upset, it would keep me from tip toeing near the fence lone at night and might well help me decide to move.

I don't know why handgun purchases need to be kept private. Is it so the homeowner is ensured the element of surprise?

25. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Why exactly is it anyone's business who owns what pieces of private property?