Gun question for firearms enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JesseJames, Dec 19, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I've been considering getting a semi-automatic carbine. I've been looking at the Ruger Mini-30 that shoots the 7.62x39mm SKS round.
    I want one that has good knockdown power at about 100 yards and this particular firearm fits the bill. I want it to also to have open sights which is standard on the model.
    Now the big issue is that I am left-handed and I have had a devil of a time trying to find left-handed semi-auto rifles. Does anyone have any experience with this particular rifle that it won't really bother me during operation if I choose to get it?
    For the record, I own a Ruger M77 Mark II in .30-06 with a variable power Tasco scope. No frills hunting rifle that I really need to clean copper fouling out of the bore of. Need to re-zero also.

A Savage FLVSS .22-250 with a fluted heavy barrel and a Sightron varmint scope up to 24x. Shoots like a dream now. My preferred rifle at the range.

And a Winchester 1300 pump shotgun. I may get a rifled slug barrel for it. No frills workhorse shotgun.

Then of course, the Ruger carbine will fill that automatic niche void.

2. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Hmm... my first thought was to stay away from Rugers, but if you've had good luck with them, go for it.

I can't say I know of any lefty guns to fit the bill, but if you're going for a semi-auto, does it matter that much? Other than the safety, what to they make left-handed on a semi?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Semi's are usually made so the shell ejects to the right (away from a right handed shooter) which puts the ejected shell right into the face of a lefty.

JesseJames,
    What about going to a gunsmith and seeing if he can put a "hood" (I'm sure there is a proper term that I'm not using) over the action of the rifle to keep the shells from coming up into your face. I have a semi-auto Remington .22LR that came w/a hood like that from the factory.

Lethal

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I found a good website for gun discussion.
    www.thehighroad.org
    I just started a thread in "Rifle country".
    I'm JesseJames there also. Cool eh?
    I'll have to go the gun shop and just try it out.
    When I was in the Army I recall letting loose with my M-16A2 at a training range; squeezing the trigger as fast as I could. The brass didn't fly in my face but I almost gagged at the mouthful of exhaust gas from the ejection port.
    Not a good memory.
    It's unlikely that I would do that type of shooting with the Mini-30. I think it will be okay after all.

5. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

oh, thaaaats right. I fortgot, I'm pretty much a handgunner myself. But always in the market for a good hunting rifle.

6. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I know that semi-autos can have a spent casing deflector that will bounce the rounds down out of the face of a lefty shooter. The mini-30 looks a lot like it has the same action as the M-1 Garand and M-14 (includes M-21) series of rifles, which eject from the top, so I think you'll be ok.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

When i do finally travel to the States Walmart will be a surreal and weird experience for a Brit.

Walk in, "Hmm, hungery - munchies or a Semi Automatic?"

8. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, the Walmarts around where I live have stopped selling firearms. The clerk I talked to said the change was storewide.
    The only other chain stores now for firearms is Dick's Sporting Goods.
    I haven't been to a Kmart in years so I don't know about them.

It's a little annoying to go into a chain store anyway and ask some pimply faced teenager about firearms and either he looks at you like 'who you gonna go kill?', or gives you that blank bovine stare when you rattle off what you are looking for and what you need.

The gun store guys on the other hand just want to make a sale. They'll help you get what you want but first and foremost is move the stuff in the store.

The vast majority of gunowners in this country are responsible law-abiding citizens. My other interests are guitar, hiking and rockclimbing, and talking philosophy. The last thing I've read of any substance was December's issue of "Atlantic Monthly". My spiritual orientation is agnostic and I am also a Mac user. So I don't consider myself a slackjawed hick.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You might want to consider an M-4 clone. There are a lot of AR parts on the market to build up your own custom rifle. A friend of mine has a Bushmaster carbine in 5.56mm that he shoots regularly. He is a lefty and fit a case deflector on it that keeps the spent rounds from his face.

You can also get AR upper recievers that are left-handed and build a true lefty gun.

I'm a historic/military collector myself - don't have any really "modern" guns. I'm mostly into bolt-actions, and the only semi-autos I have are two M59/66 Yugo SKS rifles (7.62x39mm). They are cheap ($80-150 at Dunham's), extremely rugged and reasonably accurate, although they won't hold a candle to an AR at longer ranges. They shoot about 3-4MOA on average - though some are much better. They don't throw cases back much, so I don't think they would hit a left handed shooter, but they would fly in front of your face, which would probably be annoying.

The only downside with the Yugo SKS is that, even though it is called a "carbine", it weighs over 9 pounds and is as long as an Enfield or Mauser (as you can see in the pic below, second from top).

Attached Files:

10. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

He's getting a Ruger, not an SKS. The Ruger 30 fires the same round as the SKS, a 7.62x39mm round- also the same as is fired by an AK-47 or AK-103 series weapon. The M-16/AR-15 series is out of the question...he said he didn't like it while in the military as the ejection port spewed gases into his face.

Plus, he has a .30-06 rifle already.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Actually he said

So I figured he was still deciding. Anyway the knockdown power is more dependant on the ammo than the rifle, so an SKS has pretty much the same punch at 100 yds as any other 7.62x39 rifle. I missed that bit about the M16A2, sorry.:(

I've shot a Mini-30 a number of times and really liked it, I'm guessing you'd be happy with it. They are really nice carbines, if a bit pricy.

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

It weirded me out! It was a K-Mart IIRC...
    "CD's, DVD's... off into frozen goods... quite like the look of that pizza.... into sporting goods... is that.. no... are they.... bloody hell, shotgun's and sidearms?!?!? Wouldn't happen in a big Tesco!!!"

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Welcome to GunLand. We are moderately sick here.
    Stay away from Texas...
    http://homepage.mac.com/leskern/PhotoAlbum6.html

14. Randall macrumors 6502a

Randall

I don't have anything against gun enthusiasts, as long as they are not using Powerbooks for target practice. :p