Gun Rights Advocates Designate January 19th, 2013 as "Gun Appreciation Day"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

bradl

Mon Dieu.

The political points on this have no bounds: POTUS Inauguration, MLK day, Sandy Hook, the whole lot. But I agree with one of the commenters: I wish that the NRA would turn this more into a "Gun Education" day, instead of an "appreciation" day, as the former would help out gun advocates and opponents instead of the latter, which seems to glorify guns altogether.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ion-day-is-jan-19-conservative-groups-declare

I wonder.. if these advocates were in Hollywood, would that make them hypocrites?

BL.

2. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Well, as someone who went out to eat at Chik-Fil-A on the CFA appreciation day, I will be going out to shoot some semiautos on Jan 19...

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

And thank you for proving my point about glorification vs. education. You're fitting that role perfectly.

BL.

4. MorphingDragon, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

As a foreigner I find this completely hilarious and thank the USA for making it so easy to be the butt of every cultural joke.

Guns are tools which should be treated with respect and appreciation day would seem to send the wrong message.

5. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

IMO, a coalition of "gun rights" activists can call January 19 anything they please ... although I think "Yahoos with Security Issues Day" would be more accurate.

6. macrumors G4

skunk

I'm visualising a "Last Man Standing" scenario...

7. macrumors P6

Peace

Hehe. Reminds me of an Onion article about everybody in the same office planning a mass shooting for the same day.

8. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

whatever..

In the past month I have introduced two new people to shooting...one was pretty much an anti/gun-grabber...after an afternoon shooting trap and some highpower they have both expressed an interest in shooting more and eventually getting guns of their own...

at least I can say Ive done something besides sit behind my computer directing veiled insults at people while thinking that I am some kind of uber clever intellectual....

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I went to work today.

:D

10. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What do you expect from bay shot crazy crew. A good idea.

This just makes the problem worse not better. Gun education day I could get behind. This just encourages wing nuts.

11. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

So seriously, how is this any different than "National alternative lifestyle day" (not sure if the H word or G word are politically correct these days, sorry) where people who engage in alternative lifestyles congregate in public spaces to celebrate their way of life?

12. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Still hilarious.

13. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its different because the gay community still does not have equal rights which is completely unacceptable. (Seriously they pay taxes just like everyone else why can't they marry like everyone else). They're drawing awareness to the fact that they are people too.

Gun Appreciation Day sends the wrong message. Too many gun owners are careless, just look at the recent article where a loaded gun with a chambered round was found in a movie theater because some yahoo with a concealed carry permit lost it.

As others have said a Gun Education Day would be much better.

14. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Appreciate this ...

Just another day in the United States.

:rolleyes:

15. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

16. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

It's called Pride. And we do it because for so long we have been shoved into closets, discriminated against, and looked down upon. And I hope for the day when we won't have to "congregate in public spaces to celebrate our way of life". Hopefully, sooner rather than later we will have the same rights as every other American - until then....

And for someone who seems so concerned with constitutional rights, the fact that you don't understand the difference is quite sad.

17. macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thats the point I am making...there is no difference. Gun owners are being marginalized and discriminated against more than ever before. Jan 19th 2013 is going to be our "pride" day.

18. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Silly of you to make a point like that.

I hope you don't always argue for the 1% versus the 99%.

----------

Make sure your chaps fit nice and tight.

19. macrumors P6

Peace

Do they have to do it the same week-end as the inauguration of the right wings most hated president ?

Personally I don't think it's a coincidence .

20. macrumors G3

NT1440

Discriminated?

Wtf are you talking about?

21. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Glad I won't be in the US that day, seems like a great day for some crazy person to plan another large shooting

22. macrumors 68040

Moyank24

How are you being discriminated against?

You have rights. Nobody is taking your guns away. You're being ridiculous...and you wonder why you're being marginalized? Please. You don't understand the difference? Really? Your statement is offensive to anyone who has had to deal with real discrimination.

23. macrumors 603

When I hear "Gun Appreciation Day", all I can think of is the scene in Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" where the recruits are marching in skivvies with rifles on shoulder and other hand on crotch, chanting "This is my rifle. This is my gun. This is for fighting. This is for fun".

So when Jan 19 rolls around, be sure to show proper appreciation to your gun.

24. leekohler, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors G5

leekohler

Bull ****ing s***!

Stop it with this crap. You are far from being marginalized or discriminated against at the level many minorities have been. That is just an absolute load of garbage.

Have you been:

1. denied the right to marry because you own a gun?
    2. denied the right to serve your country because you own a gun?
    3. been denied or fired from a job because you own a gun?
    4. been beaten, raped or killed because you own a gun?
    5. been disowned by your family because you own a gun?

This is disingenuousness at it's worst. Your guns are not being taken away, so just knock it off.

And if you went to CFA Appreciation Day, you've lost my respect. That is truly the ugliest thing you could do.

And you know damn well I'm a huge supporter of gun ownership, but WITH LIMITS. People should be screened before they can buy guns. Sorry if you don't like that, but it makes sense.

25. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Must have hit a tender spot. I would say 'if the shoe fits, wear it', but I'd rather be more apropos.. If the holster fits, strap it on (that's what she said ;) ).

I went to work today. More importantly, I came home, and was blessed enough to see the faces of my SO and children. I was able to kiss each one of them and hold them tonight, and hope that I can do the same thing tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after.

26 parents can not do that with their children at Sandy Hook. 2 more here in Sacramento will not be able to do that; one of those two was an Iraq War vet.

4 more will not be able to do that in Tulsa tonight. Another five won't be able to do the same thing in Aurora. That's 37 more in less than 3 weeks, not counting those in Chicago this year alone, yet you "pride" yourself in getting guns to others.

I have no problems with the 2nd Amendment and gun rights, though I do have a problem with the lack of restraint people have in this country (read: shoot first; ask questions later.. a trait our previous President tended to enjoy). But I challenge you to do one thing. While you are off glorifying and justifying your right to bear arms under the guise of 'appreciation', I dare you that with each bullet you fire, you think about the parents and families of someone who was shot and had their lives ended by the very bullets you glorify Think about those sons and daughters who won't be coming home for dinner that night, and ask yourself if you can really enjoy doing that. If you can... well.. you've proven to us what type of person you are.

Call me "uber intellectual" all you want; I'd take that as a complement, especially if it meant that I could come home safe to my family each and every night; and in fact, I do.

BL.