Gun Safety Instructor Shoots Student In Ohio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 13, 2013.

1. steve knight, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013

macrumors 68000

steve knight

Hopefully the fire the idiot. He seems to have missed the first lesson on gun safety. Seems even so called professionals can use the I did not know it was loaded excuse. If you don't know your gun is loaded You have no buisness handling a gun.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/12/gun-safety-shooting_n_3745989.html

2. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

steve knight

In this world doubtful.

4. macrumors 68000

VulchR

A family friend of ours was getting ready to clean his gun but appears to have forgotten to check whether it was loaded. It went off, and the bullet ricocheted from the wall beside him and struck him in the temple. Regrettably he did not survive. This guy was a WWII veteran who handled and used guns most of his life and he simply made a fundamental error. All humans are error-prone, which is why I don't like being around guns, nuclear power plants, etc.

5. macrumors 65816

Mousse

The man was 73 years old. Senility must have set it ages ago. Heck, I have "grey hair moments" and I'm not even...what was I rambling on about?:p

If an old hand at gun handling can make a newbie mistake, it just affirms my choice in not having guns around me.

6. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

My parents live in Zanesville (about 45 minutes from Lancaster), I guess local news tried to spin it that it was the victim's fault. The victim allegedly "spooked" the instructor, leading to the gun going off.

7. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well lets make sure that everyone in these gun safety classes has their own loaded gun, that'll keep things like this from happening again.

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

steve knight

yes the students can accidentally shoot the instructor before he can accidentally shoot another student.
    No gun nuts commenting on this one. I guess it would be pretty hard to make this one look good.

9. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I thought guns were the problem?!!?

Maybe we should try to ban old people and gun training classes...

10. macrumors 65816

Mr Kram

LOL. sorry, funny and tragic at the same time.

11. macrumors 603

thekev

I thought part of that was to treat the gun as always being loaded and not to place your finger near the trigger if you don't meant to shoot.

12. macrumors 65816

dec.

well that stuff happens with weapons around. It's the price Americans pay for their "freedom".

13. macrumors 68020

sviato

Anyone else notice the part about there being a lot of nurses in the class? Not sure how necessary gun-wielding nurses are :eek:

14. macrumors 6502

It was an accident that could have been avoided. The gun didn’t magically come alive and purposely shot the student. The instructor is human. He made a mistake. Now does that make me a nut for looking at it that way?

15. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Really have a thing against guns don't you OP...judging from the threads you create

Accidents happen. Blame the person, not the tool.

In other news, kids in woodshop get injured or man falls from roof while teaching kid to hang Christmas lights.

Why the focus on guns?

----------

Of course it does. Any accident regarding a gun is grounds to ban them according to some. However, other accidents are ok

16. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Yeah, let's ban old people from gun classes. But why stop there... those drooling, doddering, old coots should be banned from walking around...they would likely trip and fall and injure a young person,

Old people can't learn to use a handgun, or a computer, or an iPad, or anything else that requires good sense or a modicum of cognitive functioning. And only old people ever screw up when handling a handgun...

Old people...bah!:mad:

:rolleyes:

17. macrumors 6502

What it really comes down to, Most on this forum are against guns, till sometime in their life, they may wish they had one. Hypocrites.

18. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

What hypocrites? Most people will never get in the situation where they will need one. And even if they do, how is it being a hypocrite to, say, wish you had a hand gun if you were mugged but still think background checks are ok. Because, as you gun nuts always miss, most people aren't against all guns. They just want some control on some guns.

19. macrumors 65816

adnbek

See what you did? Don't ever underestimate the ability of a gun nut to find a defense in any situation.

20. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Like gun safety courses? like in the op where it was unfortunate that an accident took place?

21. macrumors 65816

adnbek

Don't forget that most gun nuts, including the guy you just replied to, are completely against any restrictions regarding the acquisition of guns in the first place. Seems like lostandgone just contradicted himself considering his posting history of defending the right to own a gun no matter what.

22. macrumors 6502

Macncheese, what do you have on me that will consider me a “gun nut”? Crime can happen to anyone and anybody at any given time. I read a lot of arguments about banning guns completely here in America on this forum. The same with making current gun laws stricter, (which I do agree with at some degree) for the ones that do not own a gun and are against the second amendment, could run across a situation where having a gun could have saved themselves or a love one. There for, wishing they had a gun which will make them a hypocrite.

23. macrumors Core

MacNut

I was much more worried about my High School shop teacher doing something stupid.

24. thread starter macrumors 68000

steve knight

A gun safety instructor screwed up and shot a student. Seems you kind of missed that point. A professional shoots someone and it is the same as a dad falling off a roof or a student in a shop class hurting themselves?
    The biggest problem is calling it an accident. he was careless and was not following gun safety that he is trying to teach.

25. macrumors P6

dukebound85

I did not miss the point.

Are you implying it wasn't an accident?:confused: