Gym Cliques

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGary, May 11, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I've been going to our local gym for about 6 months now. I usually get in about 5:45 a.m. and finish up around 7:45 a.m. - just in time to get back home in the office. I think you can tell that I'm pretty outgoing and really like people (despite my bitching about them, I always give new folks a fair shake).

Anyway, is it just me, or is the gym almost as bad as high school? There is this one guy (among a handful) who I see everyday, and I am always nice enough to make a point to say hi, and he looks at me as if I am a leper who might drip skin on him at any moment. OK, you look like someone out of a J Crew catalog, but you can't talk to me? Then his posse comes in and he's all words to them...WTF?

I'll admit, I'm not some muscle-bound "ripped" adonis, but I have run 12 marathons in the last two years, I've sailed about 15,000 miles all over the planet, I hang out of planes for a living and generally I think I'm good for conversation...I'm not saying that to be arrogant, I guess I just feel like I'd be an interesting person to talk to - as would a lot of the other people at the gym - you know the less "beautiful" people. So every morning, these guys hang out in the free weight room and any time one of the less "muscle bound" people come in, it's like picking a lunch table the first day of school.

So today, this guy who has been using the gym for about a week is getting dressed, and "the posse" start asking him where he works, what kind of car he drives...and yeah, he's not hard on the eyes.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm seriously not jealous (really, I'm not :) ), but is everyone this materialistic about life? Is life about how much you cleared on your last house or how much you made last month, or your "kick ass" car?

I mean I see these tards more than I see Rob some weeks, I make every effort to be cordial and find out about their lives and I get four word answers..

I guess I am discovering why I like long distance running opposed to going into the gym every day. I don't know, I guess I'm just disappointed in what society is becoming...maybe it's always been like that.

End rant - I'm just tired of snobs, I guess.

2. Lau Guest

No, I totally hate this too. Having been one of the geeks at school, I thought this would stop when you get in the real world. It doesn't.

I think all you can do is carry on being civil - you're the better person for it. And there's plenty of people out there who aren't up their own arses, and they're the ones worth knowing. The ones who are up themselves are actually the insecure ones, and they probably cry themselves to sleep at night. :p

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

It's just mind-boggling to me that adults act like this. Geez, I'm sorry I don't have a 32-inch waist and ripped abs. :rolleyes: But I will race you to Washington DC on foot. :p :D

4. iGav macrumors G3

And you're on a Mac site... heh. :eek: :p :p

When I went through my gym phase... I was too busy trying not to collapse to worry about the gym nazi's. :)

Speaking of which... pot belly's are sexy aren't they? :eek: :(

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Man I wish I could get up that early. I have trouble getting to the gym after a long day at the office... I don't see the cliques as much at my gym. Everyone seems to be in their own little world. Nobody really wants to talk either - which is cool with me. 75% of them have iPods on anyways :eek:

6. hmmfe macrumors regular

I really don't think this behavior is limited to gyms and highschool. I see it pretty much everywhere. Seems to be human nature.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Hmmm...I gues I do a good job of keeping *******s out of my regular life, then. :eek:

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you switch your time for working out it can make all the difference in the world.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

These guys seem kind of gay.

10. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, getting to the gym forces me into a routine, which is essential for working at home. If I don't go, I end up working in my PJ's all day and going a week without shaving. :rolleyes:

11. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Heh. That's a good one :rolleyes:
    So, are you saying that mornings are more clique'ish?

I just talked to two of my co-workers who get up at 4:30a every morning. I'm feeling pretty good about getting to bed by 10:30p and up at 5:30a 3 days a week...

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I hope so. I've been working on mine ever since I got married. Got to keep the wife happy, you know. :)

Yeah switching your workout time can change things, but I like to work out when I want to work out (which used to be right after work...now it is next week). I found that the lunch hour workout-guys disappeared as soon as I got my earbuds on.

13. Blind Buzzard macrumors member

I didn't know that the gym was a social event.

I go to the gym to work out and stay in good shape.

14. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

My gym is exactly the same, your only popular if your huge and/or ripped, or have huge headlights... :eek: I actually sometimes get depressed after a workout (sugar has been know to fix that), but just keep on being nice, or keep to yourself, if they are really like you say then they wont even notice you not greeting them anymore.

Life is that way, my work is also the same, the guy im suppose to be working with brags about his half a million car and his near 2 million house, I feel crap because I drive a knocked up old Toyota and live with my dad, but in the end people like that do it because they need some sort of acceptance or acknowledgement, I don’t... or al least I dont think so! ;)

Let it go man, life is to short to even think about them, go to the gym and do your thing, I put on my headphones and sometimes hum along with whatever is playing on my ipod, im there to get buffed , look better, feel better, and be healthy, not to make friends with a-holes.

15. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I used to go to a gym, and it was a bit like high school. There was this one group of college girls who would come in a 1/2 hour after me. They would cut in front of me on the tanning list, make fun of how I was exercising, comment on how "flabby" I was (I'll never forget, the "geek" of the group, who was waaay fluffier than me made a comment about how big my butt was and the head bitch said "Yeah, she's starting to look like you!"...despite the porky girl insulting me, I felt bad when I saw the look on her face.),etc. I couldn't stand it so I quit and started working out at home. One time, however, I did get my revenge. The head bitch left her coffee on the floor right next to her sweatjacket. Silly clumsy me, I tripped and oops! I kicked the coffee over, which, with just the tiniest nudge of the foot soaked her jacket. Freaking bitch.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Over the last 2 months or so, I've been going to the gym. I'm was a fairly athletic guy in high school who grew a large beer-gut during college. I'm trying to get back in shape for professional reasons. I've been going 4-5 times a week. Honestly, I don't want to talk to anyone at the gym. It's not that I'm not friendly, but I don't want to be at the gym longer than I have to. Plus, I'm breathing heavy trying to catch my breath. It's just not a place I want to have a conversation.

17. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Oh, I hear you - and agree. I generally have the iPod plugged in - but "hello" isn't that hard to muster.

18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I use the iPod too. But I have to say that usually I don't have the breath to even get a "hello" out. I am becoming very proficient at the "head nod" though. ;)

19. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

It's funny you say "professional reasons." Aside from getting back on the running circuit again, that was another main reason I got back into the gym - for my business.

20. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've seen this occasionally since high school, but have just tried to blow it off. Having dealt with being pretty much an outcast in middle school and (while more confident and likable) pretty much a nerd in high school dealing with cliques has just become almost second nature, like breathing. Every now and then I'll gripe about it to the hubby, a co-worker, or a friend, but that's about it. I figure if they're going to be stupid and immature like that then they're not worth my time. I'll still be friendly, but I won't go out of my way to try and get in their groups.

With that said, I don't like socializing at the gym. If someone says hi I'll smile and say hi back as I make a beeline to whatever it is I'm heading for, but frankly, when I'm there I'm on a mission--to get in, get a workout, and then get out as quickly as possible. I'll practically speed walk between the weight, exercise machine, and stretching areas just to get out of there quicker. Maybe it's because the last two gyms I was a member of weren't that great. The last one would get so hot, smelly, and stuffy if I went during peak hours that I would feel like I was going to be sick and pass out just walking in the door. I also don't like the people that walk (or stand) around the gym and watch those that are working out--that weirds me out. In any case, I just don't like the gym atmosphere so I don't like being there. I figure why pay monthly to have that experience? If it were free maybe I'd reconsider.... :) For now I'll opt for working out in solitude in the privacy of my own home/neighborhood.

21. hmmfe macrumors regular

Exactly. Of course the irony is in each person's definition of "*******".

22. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My professional reasons are a little different. After many years of playing baseball and impressing a few scouts from time-to-time, I finally received notice that the I'm on a short list of players that a certain professional baseball organization wants to get a closer look at this season. I figured that it's about time to get back some of the muscle I've lost over the last few years. I may only be 23 years old, but I'm getting up there in age to have a legitimate chance to make the pros.

23. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

First of all - congrats on doing 12 marathons!!! I would struggle to do one!!

Anyway, i still go to school and there are 2 main groups of people like that but even if you ask them something, they never speak at all until you are walking away when it is insulting you. I hate these people and i know this is harsh, but i had to surpress a laugh when one of the had his two front teeth knocked out yesterday. That does sound really bad but these people make my ife hell. I hate them so much for making my life a misery and the worst thing is, i don't know why they do not like me!! I have barely ever spoken to them, let alone insult them.

24. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Thanks - why do people have to be *******s?

I don't get it. :confused:

25. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Insecurity.