H.264 on Dual 2.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macbaseball, May 7, 2005.

1. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Just curious if anyone has compressed video on the new Dual 2.0. I'm considering buying one, just curious how the it worked and if the times were good. Well, it must be better than my PB, which won't compress in H.264.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Of course your Powerbook will compress H.264... why would it not?

3. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I start compressing in H.264 and then it goes to sleep after like half an hour. When I tried to wake it up in the morning, it wouldn't wake up, no matter what I did. I'm going to try to keep it from going to sleep, when I try again tonight.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Well that would probably be a good idea lol. Even a G5, if set to sleep, will mess up encoding. The G5 would probably be at least 2x faster than your Powerbook encoding the video, though.

5. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It worked just fine compressing MPEG-4 when it went to sleep, even in Tiger.

6. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Because MPEG-4 is a faster encoder than H.264

7. vasaz macrumors member

You might have just been unlucky! It shouldn't matter what you are encoding... try again, put your computer to sleep, and wake up right after. If it crashes again, then there is definitely a problem somewhere

8. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I think I might reinstall the O.S. as MPEG Streamclip also unexpectedly quits all the time. Maybe I'll go back to Panther, at least until Tiger gets fixed.

9. Sogo macrumors 6502

Maybe you should set the PB so it doesnt fall asleep...this is probably pointless to say but nonetheless i have said it.

10. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Already did, and MPEG Streamclip just quit 3 more times.

I'm leaning towards just stopping video editing until 10.4.1. I think that will be out soon, and then I could make a decision. I'm starting to believe it's the OS, as I didn't have a problem in a year+ running Panther.

Edit:

I ran the hardware test ... I think it's just a combination of doing to many things at once, and not enough RAM, as it said it was fine.